Help! I want to MOVE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! I want to MOVE!

Wondering if anyone out there has moved from one house to another (in a location close enough that I think most of my clients will stay with me-only about 8-10 mins away and a really convenient location with a nice neighborhood, big house and big yard), moving a home-based shop...Here is my dilemma, I REALLY want to move, found a house that we really like-BUT-I want to keep working and we have to build my shop into a 3rd bedroom. My laundry room is pretty cramped, so I don't think grooming there is an option...PLUS, I have to sell my current home in order to purchase a new one. I thought about contacting a local grooming shop to ask them if I can rent a space until I move-it would be solely rent as I have all of my own equipment and clients, of course-but hubby says no cuz he doesn't want clients to get used to going to another shop. Not very many vets around here to potentially rent space from. I don't know what to do from here. Has anyone ever moved their home salon to another home close to them in a situation similar to mine? Please help me and give me ideas if you have!

I have not moved a home based shop, but what I do know is the clients use you because they LIKE YOU , some may stay at the shop, I doudt it, the clients choose you, so do what you have to, rent the space if you can and have fun working there till the new space is ready.
    ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

I know, lol-try convincing my husband of that!

Comment

V, you underestimate yourself. there aren't exactly a surplus of groomers out there with your skills. You have nothing to worry about. You practically HAVE no competition. Your husband does not know what he is talking about. Don't tell him I said so, though.
        "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
        People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

I just want to wish you luck Winter.....
          I've moved my business from store front to home which is only 5 miles away. I've lost some which I understand but it's hard to say. I also know on my end; the area I left had 13 OTHER grooming shops in a 7 mile area! My clientele topped out at 400 with about 300 being regular and about 1/2 of them being on VIP schedules.
          I hope with the new location to double all of those numbers since the next closest grooming shop is about 1 1/2 miles away instead of 2 blocks!!
          ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
          Apparently common sense isn't all that common
          *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

May be risky (particularly in this economy)...but what about proposing renting back (assuming you get a contract on your current home) for 1-2 months. Have everything lined up to jump into the new home and start building out your new salon the second you walk out of closing.

The veterinarian I purchased my house from requested this of me for 3 months. (We settled on 2 months, 3 months was not workable for me.)
            Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

As long as you can think of a way not make them wait too overly long for you. YES your loyal clients will all follow you! I had my business in my converted garage for 12 years. I went into a partnership,and moved shop to the other girls house way across town,and they all came to me. Partnership became a living nightmare,and I walked away,and came home to cry(I had moved again into my DH house) My favorite little regulars found me,and I groomed them in my laundry room till I set up a bigger salon with my daughter downtown,they all came to the new place. Daughter moved away,and I am too arthritic and tired out to do all the dogs,especially biggies,so I moved back home,and converted 1/2 the garage to a tiny but nice salon,and my loyal clients came withme ....AGAIN. They do understand that life throws us some curveballs,and if they are bonded to you with trust for your excellent work,and care of the pets. they will follow you anywhere!
              "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
              Quote:Cath

Comment

Thanks for the replies...I KNOW for a fact that most of my clients will follow, but my husband seems to think that renting a space short term or 'making due' with a laundry room set up for a bit could send me into a tailspin-either driving clients away because of my situation, or getting them used to going to a different shop. I know I won't qualify (nor could I afford) to have 2 houses even for a short period of time. I really wish someone would just throw $200,000 at me for 6 months, lol. I am even considering asking my parents-they have helped my brother out so many times, why not me, lol? BUT, it would totally kill me to ask for help-I CAN'T depend on someone else...ho hum, I guess I will probably just be stuck here. <Sigh> at least I have a nice shop and house, I just wanted bigger and in a nicer area . Maybe I will just have to wait until my house is paid off in 8 years and rethink it...

Comment

Veronica
                  Your clients would follow you to the ends of the earth..and that's farther North.
                  Any shop owner would be thrilled to have you rent some space during the transition so go for it! Your clients will not "settle" for anyone..PALEESE! Tell your hubby to have faith!

Comment

Originally posted by Smart-n-Pretty View Post
                    V, you underestimate yourself. there aren't exactly a surplus of groomers out there with your skills. You have nothing to worry about. You practically HAVE no competition. Your husband does not know what he is talking about. Don't tell him I said so, though.
                    Yep pretty much so. Hey I wonder if any of the local mobiles for sale (localish) might rent to you until your set up? Just a thought

Comment

Realistically how long will a new shop take to setup? You can set a closing date move into the new house keep the other house temporarily start setting up shop close on the other house take a weekend or a week of and finish new shop. Not everything has to be perfect before you’re up and running. Its possible I have faith in you.

Comment

I moved

I moved my home salon from one house to another 2-1/2 years ago. The closing dates on the houses were staggered which gave me time to do the renos needed for the salon. I overlapped for 2 weeks. It was called "bridge financing". Talk to your mortgage broker/bank. I didn't lose any customers, but a couple showed up at the old house by mistake, so if the new owners are understanding, leave some of your updated business cards with them.

Comment

My problem isn't getting the new shop workable, but I need to make my existing shop a bedroom in order to put it on the market...otherwise my house is only a 2 bedroom and I wouldn't be able to get the $$ out of it that I want. That pesky 3rd bedroom is so dang important to so many people! Grrr.

Comment

I may be wrong here, but the room should still technically be a bedroom right? I have heard more than once, that if the room has a closet, it is considered a bedroom. (dont know if that is true though). I have seen some houses that have workout rooms, or offices in place of the bedroom, but it still would be a bedroom. Maybe you can list the house with a credit toward returning the room to a "true" bedroom. I have seen this done on houses that need new carpet, appliances, etc... I will need to do that with the carpet in my house, as it makes no sense for me to replace it while I still have 4 dogs living here. I was told by my agent to get 3 quotes and use the middle one as a credit for the new home owner to replace it. This way, you keep working like normal, and the potential buyers know this upfront beause it is written into the listing. Just a thought.
                            What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

Veronica, When I left the Humane Society in Golden Valley, every client followed me here. People will go where they need to, to be safe with their normal groomer, after all, we're not easy to come by! I know it's a little far (S. Mpls) but there's great access. I'll work something out with you. I've got plenty of room. Call me if your interested.

Comment

Working...
                              X