My new toy poodle - nameless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new toy poodle - nameless

This is my new apricot toy poodle....she came with the name Hunter but we want to change it...any suggestions?
    Yes, she has a very bad hair cut and i will be fixing it later this week! Also for all you poodle people out there....will her hair get thick and curly when she goes through her coat change??? Thanks!
    Attached Files

Hillary....hmmm time will tell with her coat...shave it iff from the neck back

Comment

How old is she? As for thickness of coat, in my experience, it is there or it isn't. Texture changes as they turn adult, but no so much HOW MUCH hair they have. Not an expert, persay, but I have raised several and have two show poos I co-own. They had hair for days as babies and still do.
      <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Is she a puppy? Her coat does look damaged and personally if it was me, I would clipped her down with a 4f. Then let the hair come in and start scissoring it. May help.

Comment

I was also wondering....her tail is not docked....what do you do with an undocked tail on a poodle? Her tail is pretty long i think. Does anyone have pictures of a nicely groomed poodle with an undocked tail? Thanks!

Comment

Hilary is a cute name....some names we have thought of are Timbit, Marigold, Tinkerbell, and Firefly....my kids really like Firefly.
            Thanks! Yes her coat is damaged...doesn't even feel soft! I am going to shave her down...probably with a 4F...she's going to look funny because she is skin and bones...but it'll grow back so thats ok! I hope she gets thicker and curly....i really want to be able to attempt some nice poodle clips on her as i have never done them before. All of my customers with poodles just want shave downs! I gave her a mini groom this morning....combed her out, re-shaved her face and sani and tidied up her feet....she was sooooooo good! She is a puppy...she is 5 months old. Another question i have is if there is a certain age to start pulling the ear hair? Or is that something you do right from the start? Her ears have clearly never been plucked but i am not sure whether to do it or not. Thanks!

Comment

What a sweet face =)
              "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin

Comment

I like Peanut.....she looks like a little peanut I don't know about the coat but I would assume that if it is sparse it will always be sparse. But if she is in poor health that could contribute to her lack of coat as well......only time will tell. I look forward to seeing her in 6 months and see how far she has evolved.....
                Mandy, Birdie, Evie, Willie and The Woo
                Check out my Blog at doggydivasdish.com

Comment

She

might still come in with a nice coat. Loving care will help. Was she rescued some way? No matter you can still do a nice town & country or such. I cringed when you asked about ear plucking. Some of us believe it is bad for ears. Look up plucking under search and read all about the plucker and non-pluckers. On the tail just trim at the end and make a elongated puff. Many European Poodles are no longer docked so you can look up pictures of them. She likely will lighten up to a creamy color, which you can color if your state allows it and you are inclined. It sure looks like you've got a sweetie, good for a Valentine.
                  Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

My mini poo has a tail i bend the top in to her hind and keep it trimmed up nicely bout half inch or little longer I love her tail i could not picture her with out it. there are a few pics of her on a thread somewhere lol. her coat has always been thick but ws very soft after shaving her short a few times she now as a great coat. but good luck with her.

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys! I know about the ear plucking....and i am always on the fence about that too! Never know whether to do it or not...never know if i want to...so i just lightly pull the hair usually...if it doesn't come out easily, i just trim it up with scissors instead.
                      I don't think she has any health issues...besides the fact that she's very very skinny...we shall see on monday for sure as she is going to the vets that day. She wasn't exactly a rescue...the people who had her are moving to Italy and needed to find her a home....she's not registered or anything but i don't mind that....she will still be my baby! I gave her a bath today and fluffed her up a bit...my son had spilled ravioli all over her so it was a nice excuse to groom her....hehe...and i did a bit of trimming on her...not much tho..she still looks pretty bad. She was amazing for grooming! Here is a pic of her after her bath.
                      i plan on attempting colouring on her when she gets her adult coat in! I am very excited about it actually
                      Attached Files

Comment

Ok, so i decided on a name....her name is Lily

Comment

Well I used to know where to find some pics of poodles with tails but can't find them now. The best description I've heard for grooming them is that they should look like the plume on pampas grass. The little silver poodle in this has a tail ( and it's really cute if you haven't seen it!)
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUtPKbMwnRo

do an image search for "european poodles" and there's a few.

And what a cute girl! Lucky for her she's got a nice home now.
                          Last edited by nuk; 02-16-10, 02:35 PM.

Comment

hahaha....omg that video was sooooo cute! I saw the poodles tail, and i also did a search for european poodle images and saw a few. I think if she has the right type of hair i will try the elongated "poof" LOL if not then i will do it like the poodle in the video. I also really liked that poodle's ears! LOL

Comment

She looks sooooo cute after her bath and groom. Love her name.
                              My knowledge of poodles coats (none really) is just the pups I've groomed. I've posted pics of Lil Bear from when he was just a little guy and he had the prettiest coat, still does, nice and full and curly.
                              I've groomed a little girl poodle, Cuddles and she is just about a year old now and her coat is still as bad as it was when she first started coming to me, soft, straight and thin.
                              That's my experience with it, other than my own poo who happens to have a nice coat to work with.
                              "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                              Diane

Comment

Working...
                              X