Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If my dog dies don't worry I wont blame you.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If my dog dies don't worry I wont blame you.

Seriously... I got a call as I was walking out the door on friday. It was the owner of a very old poodle who I have been grooming for a couple years now. She started grooming with me due to having to many health issues to be groomed without a vet on site.

So I answer the phone and the words come tumbling out of her mouth. Rosie has an appointment with me on friday but she saw the vet last week and her vet says it is only a matter of time. Her heart which has been enlarged for a while has gotten worse and she just wanted to call to tell me that if rosie dies.. she will be sad, but she wont blame me and she doesn't want me to feel bad.

(Blink)

I have been a groomer in a vet hospital for 18 years, so these end of life issues are not new to me.. I just have never had an owner put it in just that way.

Hehehe...I had a customer once put DNR on the card after filling in their dog's name. I asked if that stood for anything and he said, "Yeah! Do not resuscitate!" I was like......"Ooooooooooook. You got it."
    There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

Hmm...

An elderly poodle finally heeds the call to cross the Rainbow Bridge and somehow the groomer would be the one responsible?

Just when you think you have heard every strange comment from a pet owner. I would rate that in the top five for wierd comments.

I had a customer with two elderly poodles, one so feeble it couldn't walk to the van. I requested she sign a waiver, as I didn't think the poodle would survive the bath. She must have gone on to the bridge, as I have not heard from her in months, but I did groom her poodles three times and she seemed happy with the result.
      "With God's help, all things are possible!"
      Laura Lee Ray
      I am kats_melody on eGroomer. Follow my Twitter tweets - @ZOOMGROOM on Twitter.com

Comment

um...OMG.I dont think Id WANT to keep that appointment if I were you. make yourself an appletini before that one for sure!

Comment

I would have to tell them that I couldn't do the dog anymore. If a dog died on my table I think I would be traumatized!!

Comment

When you groom for any lenght of time you hear that, alot, sigh. Hate it, but the old or infirm deserve to be with someone who actualy gives a damn! I do more end of life grooms than is fair, don't work for a vet just have the same clients for all of my career, new dogs same people, hurts like he!! but no one else is touching one of "my" babies at the end. So just try too be kind, caring and only do what is comfortable for the pet, no full groom if the pet is having a hard time, clean and safe, sani,as much face as possible and don't stress you or the pet.
            ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

I have had a client ask if her dog was still alive after a groom. It was a 15 yr old maltese. She acted really surprised when it was.

Comment

"No full groom if the pet is having a hard time, clean and safe, sani,as much face as possible and don't stress you or the pet." That's the thing. If they are paying the same price they expect the same service. They dont realize that, on a dog like that, even though you may not be doing the full service it still takes time. Some people are very nonchalant of the fact their dog may die on your table.

Comment

I got a new customer this week through a referral and she told me the vets groomer said it was just too stressful and that she shouldn't be groomed any more. The dog is blind and deaf. So she asked if I would groom her dog since I am mobile. I told her I would do it with loving hands, but would stop the groom or limit my services if I thought her dog would start to stress. I think she is more worried about her dog passing and the dog appearing uncared for.

Comment

I have heard that several times

I understand it, and I think the owners are being very considerate by telling you that ahead of time, actually. They are being sensible.

Comment

At least you're working in a vet hospital, I do see how that makes a difference. And if you've groomed her dog before and have a close relationship that matters even more. Keeping her dog comfortable in it's last days is a very kind thing to do, just go easy, focus on comfort and explain to the owner the groom may not be "perfect." I've had this happen to me before, actually the owner came in with her ancient golden the first time I groomed it. He was dying then. (BTW, 99% of the time NO OWNers when I groom! major exception here.) She saw how I handled him and never felt the need to stay again. I think I groomed that dog for almost a whole year. He made it through her son's senior pictures and then I didn't hear from them again. He'd be so still in a cage I'd wake him 5 times to make sure he was alive!

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch73 View Post
                        I would have to tell them that I couldn't do the dog anymore. If a dog died on my table I think I would be traumatized!!

Heh I understand that sentiment Mitch..but for me, it's my job and believe it or not I get good feelings knowing I am helping give the dogs last days more love and cuddles from its owner (its hard to cuddle a icky sometimes urine coated dog) I WOULD be devastated if she were to die in my care though.

And yes..someone said the owner was being considerate. She really was. After stammering all that she explained she was just trying to be considerate of me so I would know if anything happens it is not my fault.. and she didnt want me to be traumatized.

I just posted because I was just so shocked and slightly amused.. or maybe bemused at the way she said it all.. answering the phone and it all just spilled out before I even had time to comprehend who was on the phone.

I know rosies mom loves her very much and is devastated the thought of losing her but she is a poodle and needs cleaning up.

Comment

Maybe it's a poodle owner thing. I had a client with a Standard Poodle say alsmot the exact same thing years ago. "If she dies, it's okay, I'll understand", My respons was "well, it wouldn't be okay with me!" I think I'd been grooming about 2 years at the time. Luckily, the dog made it through many more grooms until some horrid person shot her dog on her property.
                          What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Tear coming to the corner of my eye, sadness fills my heart for this owner and the poodle.

That's all =(
                            "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin

Comment

Originally posted by Debbiedogs View Post
                              I understand it, and I think the owners are being very considerate by telling you that ahead of time, actually. They are being sensible.
                              Agreed! I have had several tell me this through the years, and since it is always old (meaning done the dogs a long time...lol), regular clients it doesn't raise a red flag w/me at all. They have just come to understand that it could happen anytime and anywhere and they are prepared for it. By giving this verbal "waiver" they are just letting you know they trust you and don't want you to feel responsible should (heaven forbid) "it" happen on your table.

I also have had several boarding clients who told me basically the same thing and went ahead and arranged for me to put the dog in the vets freezer till they come back. Some of them requested I NOT call them while they are away and tell them the pet died, but wait til they return. Others wanted a phone call.

Thankfully "it" hasn't happened while I have been boarding them (knock on wood).
                              SheilaB from SC

Comment

Working...
                              X