Feeding a stubborn Std poodle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeding a stubborn Std poodle

Savoy is 2 in April, he's about 55lbs and is quite active. He's also a pain in the @$$ about feeding. I've gone through countless brands of super high quality food like Innova, Solid Gold, Orijen and Taste of the Wild. He never seemed fond of eating plain kibble, and when I added probiotic powder and vitamin supplements, he started picking though the food to avoid them. I've gone though loads of types of canned to mix with the kibble to hide the probiotics and pills. I narrowed down the kibble to a few select brands and meat sources that didn't make him stink or throw up. I gave up on canned because he stunk (super gassy) on every one. I started feeding supplemental raw with the kibble and he seemed to like that. I narrowed that down to the meat sources that wouldn't make him stink. In the last month or so, he's decided that he doesn't like raw anymore so we started feeding him plain kibble with meat juice. He's deciding now that he doesn't like anything anymore and just stares at me and may eventually pick through the food and stop half way. If he were an only dog, I wouldn't mind leaving plain kibble down all day for him to nibble on. My aunt has a Springer that does that.

We're used to lab mixes who eat anything that hits the ground, intended or not. I gave him a raw turkey neck several months ago and he just stared at me wondering what he was supposed to do with it. The other 3 dogs stared through the gate BEGGING to get that neck. If I gave him the option of food or a ball, he'd starve himself to death playing with the ball.

I'm sure many of your poodle owners will just say "that's the life of a poodle" but what have you found that works? How much do you actually feed them? I've been back and forth trying to decide on 2 or 3 cups a day. I thought more would be better since he's so energetic. He's young and intact, so he's skinny anyway. I just worry about him getting too thin because he just doesn't care to eat or I'm not feeding him enough.
    I love him dearly, but he's been a pain in the butt about food from the very beginning. :-P

I've been feeding taste of the wild lately, mine love it. More than the avoderm they were raised on. But they won't eat it til they are HUNGRY. Or decide that there's no treats coming. my boy goes and eats after everyone goes to bed. My girl eats 3 kibbles at a time. If you want them to eat at a certain time put it down for ten min or so then take it away. Pick a food you want them to eat, they will give in eventually. Just don't forget how good they are at training us when they give those sad eyes and turn up their noses!

Comment

Bud actually loves the call of the wild food (Bison). He went from 37ish pounds to 41, he is still stick skinny, but now not quite as stick skinny

Comment

Can you put it in his crate and just leave a full bowl all of the time? PS, welcome to poodleville, lol. Three of my four are currently picky eaters and fairly Ethiopian. Try to feed him a higher calorie food-performance type...in tact males are almost always skinny.

Comment

poodles

Poodles are very picky eaters.my 5 are prettu picky I feed proplan amd innova,intact males are usualy skinny 2 of mine are intact.amd whem the females the females are in heat tge don't touch their food.try a little cottage cheese or yogurt.

Comment

i noticed you said you add a powder probiotic to his food. Have you ever tried a liquid? my dobie pup was giving me a hard time about eating even without the pills so i bought a liquid probiotic (the only place i could find it was vitamin shoppe) But there are several flavors and after mixing the large dosage into his food i dont even have to pester him to eat as long as i give it a good mix and coat the kibbles. Also the vet i work for suggested mixing in a little bit of large breed puppy wet into it ( i used buffalo) To help with him not wanting to eat some of the vitamins.

Comment

I can relate

The last three dog's I have gotten have gone through this phase at one time or another. I have tried everything and more than you had tried. With my most recent puppy, at one point, I was even spoon-feeding him (my friend still laughs at me for that). Finally, I remembered what my vet. said, "while a cat will starve itself to death, a dog will not) So I finally started, feeding dry kibble mixed with Honest Kitchen dehydrated raw and offering it twice a day for 30 minutes at a time. Refridgerated uneaten food between the meals. He finally learned to eat or starve. He is now a nice weight. Still sometimes decides he is not going to eat breakfast for a few days in a row, but gets over it when he realizes mom is not going to sweeten the deal. Be strong and just realize you boy may be a little thin for a while, but he can pick up weight later when he decides to eat.
              Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

I don't think mojo will snub his nose at anything.. do they make kitty litter flavored dog food? that seams to be mojo's favorite flavor.. EWW lol. .Have you considered a regular brand of dog food? or just dealing with gassy?I hate to say this but gassy is a part of life ,you may not have any other options to foods he has had in the past that he would eat gassy or not at least he would eat them and I'm sure you would not have chosen them to begin with if they had not been a good dog food to begin with.

Comment

Mary J. just went through a breif bout of morning sickness,and did not want to eat her Orijen kibble with cottage cheese. I made a doggy turkey soup to add,nope didn't like that either. Added tiny peices of cut up chicken weiners to the cottage cheese,and she started eating again. I only owned 1 intact poodle (toy) he was really picky too,and hard to keep weight on. He seemed to only want to eat every 2nd day for some strange reason. Maybe try the higher fat cottage cheese with the little weiner peices?
                  "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
                  Quote:Cath

Comment

Have you tried mixing in some canned Science RX diet A/D? In the clinics I've worked at in the past, if we had a picky eater, we'd give them a little canned A/D with the kibble. Or we would add Gerber baby food (stage 1 meats like turkey, ham, chicken). Usually A/D or baby food got them to eat. Not always, but most of the time.

My boy Dallas is the picky eater around here. Usually I sprinkle garlic powder over his kibble and hot water and that gets him eating. There's been times when I've watered down A1 steak sauce (like 1 tsp in 1/2 cup of water) and poured it over his kibble to make him eat. LOL

Comment

Ok, first realize you've created this situation, so you're going to have to get tough to resolve it. Measure out his food, put it on the floor, and walk away. Come back in 15 minutes. If he hasn't eaten it, pick it up and put it away. Do the same thing at each scheduled meal time until he eats. Be prepared to wait several days.

Do not allow him any treats between meals. Don't change the food all the time; pick one and stick with it. If he has medication he has to take, give it in a pill pocket or poke it down, but if the pills are simply supplements, wait until he's given in and starts eating before you try giving it in some sort of treat. Powdered supplements can wait, too. Then mix 'em in a bit of peanut butter (if that doesn't bother his tummy) and smear it on his tongue.

Whatever you do, do not give in until he starts to eat. You've taught him to be a picky eater, so you have to spend a little time unteaching him.

Comment

I found that going to extreme measure and switching food around wont make them eat and in the process just makes them pickier.

If I have a pet that is a light eater, I just let them stay skinny and eat when they want. If it is a dog being shown that decides not to eat on the road because bitches are in season or exploring the hotel room is more interesting than food, I soak their food in Natures Farmacy Puppy Bac formula. This way they get a bunch of calories soaked into whatever they eat. I even add it to their water.

Comment

Originally posted by scullysmom View Post
                          Bud actually loves the call of the wild food (Bison). He went from 37ish pounds to 41, he is still stick skinny, but now not quite as stick skinny
                          Holy cow!! I won't complain about Savoy being 55 then! So maybe I just shouldn't worry about it as much. I just hate wasting his food. When the food gets yucky, I have to throw it out.

Comment

I switch his food every few months so he doesn't form allergies to any one and to give him taste variety. It's never been a problem till recently.

So how much should I feed him? Is 3 cups a day ok? Or is it too much?

Comment

taste of the wild - every single customer I've given a sample to, says their dogs go crazy over it. 1 of my 3 dogs is quite picky & he also loves it. great food & reasonably priced.

Comment

Working...
                              X