Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portuguese Water Dogs

Hi guys,

I have done a few porties in just pretty much puppy cuts. I had a new client come in asking if I could do a working retriever clip on his portie. I pulled out "Notes" and looked at the picture with him to verify that that was the clip to which he was referring. It didn't look terribly complicated to me, so I said that I could do it.

I studied "Notes" some more, but I'm not sure that I understand the cut completely. The face looked very short, which is not what I'm used to.

Anyway, do any of you have tips on doing the working retriever clip?

Thanks!
    Carrie

Originally posted by cgriff View Post
    Hi guys,

I have done a few porties in just pretty much puppy cuts. I had a new client come in asking if I could do a working retriever clip on his portie. I pulled out "Notes" and looked at the picture with him to verify that that was the clip to which he was referring. It didn't look terribly complicated to me, so I said that I could do it.

I studied "Notes" some more, but I'm not sure that I understand the cut completely. The face looked very short, which is not what I'm used to.

Anyway, do any of you have tips on doing the working retriever clip?

Thanks!
    Carrie
    Progroomer77 owns and shows a lovely Portie in the working retreiver trim. I bet if you pm her she would send you a pic,or some help
    "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
    Quote:Cath

Comment

the face is a square in a square and pretty tight. I don't know if that is any help to you. My groomer says to her it looks like a bad top knot on a poodle LOL.
      Is it a wavy coat or curly coat?
      What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

I believe he said it was a wavy coat.

Comment

Face is short

I believe the typical Portie trim has quite a short face, not like a #10 Poodle face, but NOT shaggy, Teddy Bear - kind of like a #3 barely fuzzy so the muzzle is square and neat.

Comment

the Portie cut I used for show ( I have had a few show Portie's over the yrs) 1 inch on the body ,I normally use a laube #1 comb(no back brushing for clipping)if you are using wahl metal combs use a longer comb or it will be to short. For the legs I normally just scissor those,But if you want to save time you can use a comb for that too 2 lengths longer( back and sides only)scissor the front. For the head #1 on ears then tidy with thinners,Face #5 blade from the outer corner of eyes down the muzzle and down the throat to form no distinctive V(mid throat) above the breast bone(cut with the grain not against to avoid a poodley appearance) the tail I ring with #1 comb about 4 inches down scissor that neat then flag the tail( sorry these pictures aren't the greatest I hope they may help a little bit ).
            Attached Files

Comment

There are some more pictures in the "Portuguese Water Dog" forum here, if you haven't already checked them out?
              I was going to rob my thread there and post here...but there are so few pics, I decided to leave them for anyone searching Porties.

The dog I groomed (over "there") was basically done in the same fashion as Pooh's, but I did use Wahl SS's and scissored in the legs.
              My dog's muzzle hair is entirely tooo long (as per owner wishes), I would have liked to use a 4F or shorter SO to balance things out. (I think that big face makes him look kinda like a giant Cock-a-Poo?)

I don't find that grooming them is particularly "difficult"...but I do find it to be a LOT of work!
              Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Working...
              X