Raising my price didn't work :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raising my price didn't work :(

Ugghhhh! I groom 4 collies as one house (It was ONLY 3 until the last groom, they got a new puppy). I really, really didn't want to do these dogs anymore because they're out of my area and they take forever, and they're big and hairy. They get done every 4 weeks. I decided to try the raising the price route I raised the price for each collar $20. Since they only tip me $1.50 for each dog, I figured for sure they wouldn't go for it....but they did! Now today, I have to go do them, and then a bichon and a maltese. I want to shoot myself. I should have gone the too far out of my area route. I wonder how long I have to wait to try that. The extra money still isn't worth it.
    don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

I have found a way to take time off the grooms. wash one and put it on the table. turn your dryer on and put it on the hose clamp and get a second one washed. finish drying the first and then put the hose back on the clamp and aim it at the second while you are finishing the first. If you have a good dryer, the second should be almost dry by the time you are done with the first. It would work even better if you had 2 dryers. If you work smarter you will not cringe at doing these so much.
    If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

I know what you mean, but maybe you should have raised your price to what you think it would be worth, with the drive and all. Next appointment you could say that you are adding $10 to your trip fee since gas prices have gone up so much. You could say you are adding this extra fee to all clients outside of your area. What about getting a large wire crate to put the dog in after you bathed it with a cage dryer or fan blowing on it, bathe 2 let them dry in it, then get the first one out and finish it, then bathe 3rd, get 2nd out n finish, bathe 4th, get 3rd dog out and finish it, then finish 4th. This should take hours off of the time you spend there. If you don't have room for a crate maybe they would let you set this up in their house, or outside of your van.

Comment

hi, if you don't like grooming them or it's not worth it for you tell them that it's way out of your area and that it's not working out for you because it takes you a lot of time do the math and figure out how many dogs you can do in that time in your local area i bet you can make more money! and then tell them as nicely as possible why it's not working out,you may want to fill the spots with new clients first though so you won't loose money,thats what i've done and it's worked out for me if they don't understand oh well at least you tried to be honest with them.

Comment

Just tell them you will no longer be able to provide services to them anymore. When they ask why, tell them that business reasons have dictated that you revise your service area and they are no longer in it, unfortunately.

Comment

How far out is it? I would think 4 weeks collie grooms would be GREAT. Great money, easy work (considering they wont have much undercoat). you can towel wrap them after the bath while working on another dog, so they will dry faster...sorry I am not much help in this category.

Tammy in Utah
            Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Tammy, when I read your post all I could think was OMG I would rather eat a raw onion that groom ONE collie, much less FOUR. LOL! Just goes to show how different everyone is. Makes my back hurt just thinking of it! Call me old and decrepit!

Comment

collies

I would rather do four collies every four weeks then four cockers. If you are doing them every four weeks I would think they would be in pretty good shape.

Comment

Tell them due to gas prices you'll no longer service that area.

Comment

Originally posted by Fur Elite View Post
                    Tammy, when I read your post all I could think was OMG I would rather eat a raw onion that groom ONE collie, much less FOUR. LOL! Just goes to show how different everyone is. Makes my back hurt just thinking of it! Call me old and decrepit!
                    My feelings exactly, except for the raw onion, I like them. LOL
                    "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                    Diane

Comment

I had to give up my rough collie customers after I had an episode of bursitis (sp?) in my shoulder from repetitive motion. All that heavy brushing really got to me. I do not think that collies are easy grooms by a long stretch!!!!

Comment

Give me the onion any day. Collies are hard work.

Comment

Is their undercoat still very dense even though they are done every 4 weeks?

I don't even have a collie in my client base, matter of fact- at previous jobs, I only had about a handful of them. I've had requests for quotes, guess I quoted too high because no one ever booked an appointment.

Comment

Collies! NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

OMG!!! i HATE collies! HATE HATE HATE THEM! last shop i worked at we had 4 rough coats that came in EVERY 4 TO 5 WEEKS! 3 belonged to one owner and the other belonged to her father in law. ALL in full coat. GAH kill me now! i DREADED collie day...DREADED IT! id rather do pyrs than collies! WASHING and DRYING those dogs..itd take me 45 mins to an hour to get them washed,rinsed and dried. so figure at LEAST 2 1/2 to 3 hrs to get them all washed and dried. so my boss and i worked out an arrangement...she picked up and dropped them off...then what we would do is try to get 2 of them washed and dried before say..the 9 am appointment. (id get there at around 8). so say...i washed one...stick it on the table help her lift the other into the tub she washed that one and b y that time im almost done with the first one...she starts drying the other one in the tub...by the time im done with the first one i take that one stick it in a crate...then she gets the second collie on the table and we tag team dry that one...by that time the 9 o clock appt. has been there and was waiting for about 15 mins in a crate...then she starts washing that one...then i get the 2nd collie tottally dry stick it in a crate start drying 9 am appt dog...then we get the 3rd collie in the tub, wash it and i start drying it...then the 1030 appt. is there so i finish the 3rd collie then do that dog..then i help her brush and comb those collies...and NO MATTER HOW OFTEN those dogs came in...they STILL took at LEAST A 45 mins to an hr (for me to brush/comb/trim nails do ears, shave pads) itd take her about 30 to 40 mins to do all that and trim the feet. but she had been grooming those dogs for 2 yrs so she was used to it and could do it alot faster than i could...but doing 3 full grown collies is ALOT of work. and THEN we'd have to do the elderly one the next day! gah!!! now the pyrs would come in say around 1000...get in the tub...again tag team wash dry,,,then i would help groom them...they'd be out the door by 2 or 3. the collies would be there at around 8,...would be finally finished around 2...also these collies wouldnt like to stand...no way...plus they drooled...very gross LOL!
                            give me a pyr anyday!
                            no more collies unless its a smooth coat!
                            Hound

Comment

Could somebody pass Houndlover the onion?

Comment

Working...
                              X