Clients who fly south for winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clients who fly south for winter

I have problems this time of year with clients who go south for the winter.

The dogs get very little sunlight here, it's cold, and they are cooped up in the house all winter. They leave for Florida for and come back looking like a pelt after a few weeks.

I think it is important to remind these owners to either get those dogs groomed while they are down south, or brush them. The heat and sunlight triggers a major shedding cycle while they are gone, and in some cases the coat change is dramatic and they must be stripped down; of course the owners can never seem to comprehend why, despite explaination.

I never saw this mentioned here, and was wondering if any of you northern groomers noticed this same issue during the winter.
    Last edited by D'tails; 02-12-10, 08:44 AM. Reason: unruly typing fingers

I only have a couple of winter bird clients that keep the coats longer (i'm in minnesota) and they have a groomer at their winter home that they go to so I haven't had an issues yet. I'd recommend they look up a groomer there and take the dog there too.

Comment

I only have 2 snowbirds. One goes to Florida, the other California. I know they both have groomers at their winter homes because both have mentioned it.

The ones that are bad for me are those who stay right here in WI, but think it's "to cold" to have their dog groomed. I see them in October, and then don't see them again until April. Needless to say, the dogs usually havn't been introduced to a brush in 6 months either. The whole "it's to cold" or "it's to hot" thing just drives me insane. If it's freezing outside, chances are the dog doesn't spend much time out there anyway. Instead, he sits with 5 inches of matted fur on him roasting to death in the heated house. Then summer comes and it's "shave him as short as you can because it's to hot" so now the dog sits in an air conditioned house all day and freezes because he's bald and it's to hot to go outside. Luckily, I only have a handful of those. The majority of my clients come year round and stick to the same length. (give or take a blade length depending on the season) .

Comment

Ugg, just did another one today. Shih Tzu with 3 inches of beautiful coat that I just groomed 3 weeks ago. He totally blew his coat in Fla and I just had to strip him down naked with an 8 blade. His entire back turned into a 1/2 inch thick piece of tight felt.

His skin was raw under the felt from the Fla humidity getting under it.

Comment

Originally posted by D'tails View Post
          Ugg, just did another one today. Shih Tzu with 3 inches of beautiful coat that I just groomed 3 weeks ago. He totally blew his coat in Fla and I just had to strip him down naked with an 8 blade. His entire back turned into a 1/2 inch thick piece of tight felt.

His skin was raw under the felt from the Fla humidity getting under it.
          Holy cow its soo cold here now, sunny though untill today.

Comment

"His skin was raw under the felt from the Fla humidity getting under it."

I'm not sure where your client was staying (in FL.), but we've not had that kind of humidity for well over a month! It is chilly and rainy today and for most of the next week!

I see many snow birds and keep them well maintained for you groomers back home. Just be sure to tell them to call us while they are down here!

sittingpretty

Comment

Funny, I'm from Indiana, moved to Florida a year ago. It's been strange getting used to being soooo busy Jan - May! I've got a TON of snowbirds who come in regularly when here for the winter. Luckily, many have returned from last year thrilled to find me at the same salon. Of course, come July/August I'm actually slower, but I'd say I have at least 30 - 40 regular "snowbirds."

If you need a salon to send them to feel free to send them my way!

I've actually a couple who don't get their dogs groomed when at home up north and wait until they are here! One from Maine comes in weekly and I know when she's "at home" she only goes in every month or so.

Comment

I have a client that lives in Fla through the winter months then stays in a resort here through the summer, I have become her Vacation groomer and she has a groomer at home in Fla.I always dread her first grooming when she comes back in the spring because the dog gets her body shaved and her legs are left natural( and they mat terribly ) its alot of work getting her back into balance .last year I sent instructions home for the groomer to follow to keep the same cut I hope they followed it.But I look forward to their return they are very good clients and I love the dogs all 3 of them.

Comment

Some of my people just stay for a week or two and get groomed right before they leave. Seems like all it takes is one week for the coat to blow into a pelt.

Comment

There are two clients who go to Florida for the winter. Luckily most of the time they are groomed down there and groomed up here. It's funny because one of the dogs always coming back looking like a weird poodle and we thought she brought a different dog back the first time she got him groomed. We asked if the person liked the groom and she said she liked the 'variety' of her being groomed two different ways. The other dog use to go to a horrible groomer down there and came back looking like a chopped up mess. She finally stopped going to a groomer so the dog comes back matted. At least the dogs are well behaved!

Comment

Working...
                    X