Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

If you have an owner that likes their dog longer but (although you have talked to them until you're blue in the face about brushing the dog at home or bringing it in more often.) It is always matted to the point that just brushing it out takes as long as a full groom. Do you think it's OK to cut the dog a little shorter than the owner would like even though you could safely de-matt the dog just for the simple reason of, you are soooooo sick of brushing it out?

Most owners don't know the difference, I do this sometimes and no one's noticed so far. But I've also noticed that doing only one blade length isn't going to help much in the grand scheme of things.

Honestly, I charge dematting by the hour, $40 an hour. None of my customers come in regularly matted because I have a three strikes policy with my matted dogs. I give breaks here and there if there have been extraneous circumstances, but if mom/dad just isn't taking care of FiFi I am not going to bust my butt to have her back in looking exactly the same next time! Rough on Fifi, rough on us, rough on our equip, and hopefully rough on mom/dad's wallet. Lose, lose.
    There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

Charge more.....
      Mandy, Birdie, Evie, Willie and The Woo
      Check out my Blog at doggydivasdish.com

Comment

You have two options, charge the heck out of them for the dematting and make them PAY for your time or give them a shaved dog back. I tend to let the money do the talking. If they insist on having the dog brushed out you tell them that's just great, they'll be a $XX.00 fee per hour for brushing with a minimum of one hour plus the regular groom price. Since it takes me about 2 hours to dematt your dog your total will be $XX. (Can't use real prices). That usually snap an owner out of it, they may be willing to do it once, but they won't pay that much again when they can just have the dog cut shorter for cheaper.

I've noticed in a lot of your questions you seem reluctant to stand up for yourself with your customers. This is essential! You need to be able to do what's right by the dog (how would you like snarls pulled out of your head for 2 hours?) and what's right by you. If the owner has a problem with that they weren't a client worth having. That's just my 2 cents.
        My Blog: <a href="http://groomwise.typepad.com/in_the_dogs_house/">In the Dogs' House Groomwise Blog</a>

Comment

I don't have a problem standing up for myself. I have my limits. I'm just curious what others think and how they handle certain situations. I know my worth and charge accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by itsgot2bme View Post
            You have two options, charge the heck out of them .... That's just my 2 cents.
            Well Said!!!! I started charging more. And if the dog/cat wouldn't tolerate any dematting I took it off! I tell people I'm not here to torture your pet and it's hair will grow back!

Comment

I usually would NEVER take a dog shorter then the owner wants - simply because they are the ones paying me to do the job THEY want done.

However, I have done it once. Man with a Yorkie who believed a Yorkie was "supose" to be long, yet never brushed him and brought him in about every 3 months. I dematted that dog 3 or 4 times (and charged for it, while explaining to the owner how uncomfortable the dematting was for both the dog and myself) before I finally got fed up. So I took a 3 3/4 blade to the dog and figured if the owner got mad, he would find another groomer to torture his dog. He loved the haircut. And although he still only brings the dog in every 3 months, I never have to dematt anymore. Not that he brushes the dog - his hair just doesn't grow very fast and that 3 3/4 seems to keep his coat manageable between grooms.

Personally, I just don't have the time for dematting. So if a dog comes in matted they have 2 choices. Let me take the coat to MY desired length, or take the dog elsewhere. I've never had anyone leave because they chose choice 2, and only once did I have a woman comment that she didn't like the dog cut that short. (I think he was a #3 blade) She continues to come to me, but she keeps her dog brushed now

Comment

I have our mat policy on the front counter in big bold print. My partner will point to it and will say please read this, if she see the pet is in bad condition.
                It states "for the pet sake, we will not dematt any pet for longer than 1/2 hour. Fee's range from x amount to xx amount depending on the condition of the coat. The fees also apply to pets that need to be stripped due to matting."
                We do all in our power to show our clients how to care for their pet and I have a handout that teaches them what they can do to prevent matting. I have found that even the grumpy customers are at a loss when they have to pay or have the pet shaved or pay the fees. If I don't see an improvement on the next visit I won't dematt.

Comment

Originally posted by OntheBRINKofDisaster View Post
                  Honestly, I charge dematting by the hour, $40 an hour. None of my customers come in regularly matted because I have a three strikes policy with my matted dogs. I give breaks here and there if there have been extraneous circumstances, but if mom/dad just isn't taking care of FiFi I am not going to bust my butt to have her back in looking exactly the same next time! Rough on Fifi, rough on us, rough on our equip, and hopefully rough on mom/dad's wallet. Lose, lose.

Wow. $40 an hour? You're cheap. We charge more than twice that for dematting.

I used to have a one strike rule; I'd brush 'em out the first time, but after that it was wet shave time. I don't do that anymore. If they're so badly matted it takes as long to comb them out as it would to do a full groom they get clipped down, or they go elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                  X