Update: So Upset!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update: So Upset!

Thank you all for your support! I felt so much better after reading so many understanding posts! Now, because of you all, I called my client back to check on Patch and see what the vet had to say. Guess what? His anals were full. And oh, by the way? He's acting ever so much better now that they're empty. The vet found nothing wrong with his leg, although they're watching him, if there ever was a cut on his penis it's totally gone today (and yes, the tip is completely in tact). The vet even defended me when she found out who grooms her dog. Client says she'll be calling me next week for a new appointment. She did manage to apologize at the very end of the conversation. (sort of.) Now the question is, should I be available for grooming when she calls next week or should I be booked until the second coming?

Maybe I'm bad but I don't think I'd want to groom a dog for someone who makes a lot of unfounded accusations about me like that. I don't think I could have a good relationship with someone like that. I don't like it when people are so quick to point a finger at me before they even know what the problem is. I guess I'd always have it in the back of my mind what she's going to accuse me of next. So for me the answer would be a resounding NO.JMO
    ~*~Robin~*~
    "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Comment

NO WAY would I groom that dog again! Sorry lady, time for you to find a new groomer. When the lady calls for a new appt this is what you should say

"I'm sorry, but I will no longer groom Patch. I have been nothing but kind and wonderful with Patch over the last few years, and was very upset that you could accuse me of hurting your dog."

Do not beat around the bush with excuses, just tell her straight when she calls. She is going to be upset, but stick to your guns. Do not groom this dog again!

Comment

Yeah I've gotta say...I would not want to groom a dog that I was accused of hurting. Sorry. It's not worth what it might cost down the road.

Comment

Ditto, no need to open pandoras box all th way.
          ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

I would be done with her. But I'm stuborn like that. It's one thing if you DID actually hurt the dog..... but to accuse you of it (a month later) when there was nothing wrong with him..... eh. Lator Tator.

Comment

Originally posted by Beanermom View Post
              Client says she'll be calling me next week for a new appointment. She did manage to apologize at the very end of the conversation. (sort of.) Now the question is, should I be available for grooming when she calls next week or should I be booked until the second coming?

He!! to the no !
              "Mrs Smith, I just want you to know I pride myself in the care of every pet I groom. Safety if paramount in my shop. I was taken back by your acusation and shocked how you could so quickly try to connect your dogs medical condition with my services, even though they were a month apart. There seems to be a lack of trust on your part and quite frankly I can not continue a business relationship with a client who doesn't completely trust me . You may not realize how an unfounded acusation can damage the reputation of my business. I have worked tirelessly to cultivate a reputation for excellence in pet grooming and I have no room in my client files for anyone who tries to undermind that with wild speculation........have a nice day" click

Comment

Originally posted by alphipsu View Post
                NO WAY would I groom that dog again! Sorry lady, time for you to find a new groomer. When the lady calls for a new appt this is what you should say

"I'm sorry, but I will no longer groom Patch. I have been nothing but kind and wonderful with Patch over the last few years, and was very upset that you could accuse me of hurting your dog."

Do not beat around the bush with excuses, just tell her straight when she calls. She is going to be upset, but stick to your guns. Do not groom this dog again!

I disagree...
                IF this was a co-operative DOG, & otherwise co-operative mamma'....When owner calls for appointment I'd say....
                "Oh, I'm SOO happy to hear Patch's vet check went well. For the life of me I couldn't figure out how these problems would be related to the grooming appointment, as I ALWAYS am super consciensious with my clients, & I KNOW you would have called me RIGHT AWAY with any problems..."
                (like a cut off penis!)

BUT...if Lil' ole Patch is a PITA, Momma has always been a PITA....umm....maybe I'd make them wait a week or so.....
                It may suck to "suck it up" so to speak, but every dog is business, with a client relationship, that can & will spread word about you....good & bad....

Patch with just have the notation on his card that you better be EXTRA careful ....

Comment

Originally posted by baddog View Post
                  "Mrs Smith, I just want you to know I pride myself in the care of every pet I groom.........have a nice day" click
                  Very eloquent and professional, BD.

Beanermom, I gotta agree with the majority here. Although my heart would tell me to take the high road on this one, as a professional we sometimes have to let our head rule.

KANK! Straight to the curb! (LOL, Beat ya to it, SnP)
                  Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
                  George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

Nopey. No groomie again.
                    Chuck might join in w/ all the reasons one should retain her as a client, but my personal feeling is....lose me one night of sleep over nonsense, understandable, it happens.
                    Lose me 2 nights of sleep....that's not going to happen, not again. I am not taking the chance.
                    After 30 years...I am just NOT that hungry for the gut-wrenching knot in my belly that you (the client) gave me... knowing I never hurt your dog.

For every decision....there is a consequence.
                    Regardless of a bad day, total freak out, argument w/ the cable company,.....one must think before they pick up the phone and make those ugly calls....or answer one in an ugly manner. I am beyond tolerant of that behavior. If you (the client) have a concern, there is a way to approach me with it. The way it was approached with you....is unacceptable by my criteria.
                    I would politely dump her, and me being me....I would tell her why.
                    Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Guess I look at things a lot differently than most on this thread.

I've taken back a PITA client and she's turned out to be an excellent patron of my business.

LSS, I'd been grooming her dog and she was always pleased, then mysteriously called me to cancel her appointment. I was just dumbfounded why, so I asked her and she got all "up in the back" and said a bunch of stuff, of course, I took much offense to what she was saying because it had no merit. I just told her that I was sorry if she was not happy with my services, but she was wrong making assumptions, told her to have a nice day. Well, I was pissed by now and SWORE I'd never take her back. 3 months later she called me begging me to take him back and that was my opportunity to lay down some ground rules, which I did. She's been a "new" person ever since and even gives me a big tip each time now (which she never did before), prebooks every 4 weeks, and refer's her friends to me. I gained her respect for being honest and forthright with her and I haven lost business. She is the type too, to bad mouth , so I feel like I made the best choice.

Personally, I'd make the appointment for the next available. When she comes in, TALK to her and tell her how it made you feel when she said those things and how much you appreciate her business and how much you care for her dog. Then let her know that you will only continue to groom for her if she promises to tell you whenever there is a problem, talk to you if something is wrong, or what ever.

Comment

Originally posted by baddog View Post
                        He!! to the no !
                        "Mrs Smith, I just want you to know I pride myself in the care of every pet I groom. Safety if paramount in my shop. I was taken back by your acusation and shocked how you could so quickly try to connect your dogs medical condition with my services, even though they were a month apart. There seems to be a lack of trust on your part and quite frankly I can not continue a business relationship with a client who doesn't completely trust me . You may not realize how an unfounded acusation can damage the reputation of my business. I have worked tirelessly to cultivate a reputation for excellence in pet grooming and I have no room in my client files for anyone who tries to undermind that with wild speculation........have a nice day" click
                        Oh baddog, thay was great. I'll have to copy that and keep it next to the phone, seems 1x a year that kind of thing happens

Comment

hmm my first thought too was kick to the curb but after reading some responses to why keep her I had a different thought.
                          When she calls tell her trust is an important part of the client-groomer relationship and you feel that she has no trust in your ability to safely care for "dogs name here" and trust you to be honest with any possible injuries that could occur during the grooming. Tell her you would like to take her and her dog back but she needs to be able to trust you first.
                          If she agrees make her wait a week then At least throw it back in her court and make her realize that you were hurt. Like neanea's story you could get a great customer. Or if she listens to what you said, realize she doesn't trust you and wishes you good day at least she can't complain to other people that you fired her, she can't really complain at all then.

Comment

You know, I think I'd give her a second chance, too. But I'd also cover my butt when the dog comes in, taking before and after photos so if future claims are made, I have evidence that the dog had no injuries while it was in my care. I'd do that with any client I even remotely suspected of having any type of dementia, and I suspect this may be the case with this client.

Comment

i'm with the majority and would not groom her dog and would tell her why.
                              Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
                              "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

Working...
                              X