Wet Shaving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet Shaving

Ok, for all you groomers that do the wet shaving, and have been doing it for some time, or have only started, I have watched Debi's Video, read her blog and asked her advice on my first wet shave. When you did your first one, how did it turn out? what surprised you, and are there any bad experiences with this technique.
    I am always trying to learn something since I didn't have the formal education that a lot of you had, so if you have any ideas, any warnings, or tips, please pass them on to me, as I will be attempting this in the very near future!
    Thanks in advance

Lisa
    AKA Gluergirl
    Little_Critters on e-groomer

Gads, my first wet shave was so many years ago I can't even remember it. I'm fairly sure it was like anything else new I've tried. I probably made a mess of it and complained "This didn't help AT ALL!"

You live, you learn.

Comment

My first wet shave was fantastic! I was able to shave a 5 month old puppy from having to be shaved with a #7 in the dead of Wisconsin winter. I got through her with a #4, fluffed her up and ended up being able to finish her with a 1/2"CC. The owners were amazed at my "magic" and tipped me incredibly well and have brought me 5 new customers because of it. I had no ideas with it and my puppy didn't seem to mind it at all (her first groom no less). I made sure to clean, HV, and oil my bladders afterward and it all turned out great.
      My Blog: <a href="http://groomwise.typepad.com/in_the_dogs_house/">In the Dogs' House Groomwise Blog</a>

Comment

Iv'e done it on extremely matted dogs and it does work but my work always turns out choppy looking. I don't like the results as much but I get to leave them a little longer which the owner likes. I usually do a 5f when I would have to do a 10. I have done a 4f on a dog that should have been a 7f. On the 5f dogs I can finish with 4f and on the 4f I still finish them with a 4f.

First I shampoo then I condition the coat and I leave it in and take the dog out and wet shave them. Then I bath out the condition and sometimes rewash them. Next I dry the dog and fluff them up. Then I reclip them and finish them up.

Comment

I would like to know too. I have never heard of this. When I was being trained I was told never to shave a wet dog because it was more susceptible to burning.

Comment

I did my first wet shave yesterday on a matted shih-tzu. It was fairly easy and came out a lot better than I expected. The mats in places came off like butter, but in other areas i did have to work at it a bit. I did like doing the wet shave and will do it again, whenever the need arises

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch73 View Post
              I would like to know too. I have never heard of this. When I was being trained I was told never to shave a wet dog because it was more susceptible to burning.
              I thought the same thing until I found everyone here. Wet shaving will help prevent burning you can use a longer blade and the wet hair keeps the blade cooler. Also you reduce the risk of irritation occurring if you used a short blade like a #10. I've had great results with this technique. I've save the coat on a matted Bichon that Daddy thought would have to be blad wet shaving I was able to use a #4 rinse and fluff dry and ended up finishing her with a 3/4 on her back and scissoring her legs to blend. Daddy was thrilled.

Now that said your blades will drag if the coat is just damp. So when they say wet shave that means fresh out of the bath.

Another tip you can try is using the HV on the dog first to loosen up the coat and remove some of the dead hair and debris.

Good luck and enjoy.
              "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt,
              and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck
              www.wagmoresalon.com

Comment

Thanks

I am actually looking forward to trying this technique out now

I hope it goes well, but if not, practice makes perfect, or at least closer to it!
                Thanks for all the responses

Lisa
                AKA Gluergirl / Little_Critters on e-groomer

Comment

I also have been curious about wet shaving. My boss always said no you cant cut a dog wet! Just seems like the clippers would cut them more easily. Im still confused how it doesnt clip their skin! I dont think I will try it...kinda freaks me out hahaha

Comment

I do it a lot on dogs when owners don't want them real short, or in the winter when it would not be good to take down real short. My biggest pet peave is that the owners tend to get use to you saving a little coat, even if they are very matted, and don't understand that they shouldn't be letting get that bad, and just how bad the coat was that you had to resort to wet shaving. The only people that understand is the customers that come in and see you doing it to a very matted dog and feeling bad the the owner let the dog get that bad. Most of those people end up telling me that the owner shouldn't have a dog. Sometimes I have thought about the owners staying and seeing what they are putting their dogs thru and what it takes to save a little hair.

The only problem that I have had as far as my equipment is that I tend to go thru switches on my clippers from wet shaving, but the blades tend to last longer wet shaving and stay cool. I think it is safer too.

Comment

Go for it

Every thing new is scary. This is a poodle that I did for the rescue in town. I would have had to strip him with a 10 but was able to do a 5

Comment

I tried it today. Not worth the time. I think I spent more time cleaning the wet hair out of my blade than clipping the dog.

Comment

I tried it today. Not worth the time. I think I spent more time cleaning the wet hair out of my blade than clipping the dog.
                          Then you did SOMETHING (no idea what it was ) wrong. I do it at least 5 or 6 times a week and never have a problem with hair sticking to my blades UNLESS the dog is not wet enough. It is so fast I can shave a mini poo in 5 minutes wet. Usually it takes less then a minute to have the hair off hte body. The water ascts as a lubricant and the blade just flies through the coat.

IF the dog is too dry it will clog blades. DOnt quit aftrer one failure. If I did that I would never groom anyting ever again!
                          <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Something was not right. My blades work better and jam up less with wet shaves.

Comment

Willing to try

I too was taught NEVER clip a wet dog. After reading this I'm going to try in can't wait. Do I even towel dry? or from the tub to the table. Give me any and all tips, it will be helpful

Comment

Working...
                              X