Kids at work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kids at work

I dont mean like instead of a sitter I mean as a helper and them learning.. I wouldn't bring my wee ones with me unless it was absolutely necessary.. even then.. (cringe)

I bring my older 3, each child comes one day a week ( 11 yrs, 9 yrs, 7 yrs) and they work on their own dog and help me and learn the tricks of the trade and have some one on one time with mom.

I wondered if anyone else does this?

I'm waiting until Evie is a little older. I have one client who has asked me to bring her along, but everytime I've had her scheduled Evie's been sick or had choir or something. She really wants to come help me groom. So does my son, but the van only fits two passengers and my son is just too small. When I groom my own dogs in the van they've been in there and it hasn't been easy.
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

My mother did with me when I was younger. I swept, cleaned, made bows, cut bandannas, did laundry, and filled water bowls. I rarely touched the dogs except for full-coated yorkies or something of that sort and just brushed them. I started at age 9 and did this with her until she retired when I was 18.

Once I hit 15, I started working at other places as a bather, and then would bathe dogs for my mom, but not until I was 15. I was never paid for anything I did for her, as "A roof over your head and food on the table every night should cover it."

She never let me use clippers or scissors on dogs, but she did show me how to do everything. I guess her feeling was if I did mess up in some way, it didn't seem professional in any way, shape, or form to tell a client that the daughter screwed up the dog's haircut.

Comment

You may want to check out the legality of having kids "help out" in a work place - even if it is yours - just to make sure you aren't sticking your toe over the line when it comes to child labor laws.

And I'd check out the issues when it came to insurance as well.

Comment

Mine have more or less grown up in a grooming room: from sleeping in a kennel for naps at times to actually grooming a dog or two.

My oldest will only bathe and dry while the youngest has fully groomed the shave downs. Neither one of them want to groom as adults.
          ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
          Apparently common sense isn't all that common
          *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

My 11.5 yr old does bathing for me when she isn't in school. She bathes, dries and brushes. This summer I will be showing her how to do nails and ears. I do pay her, it is based on per dog and will vary depending on how good a job she does on each dog. My 10 yr. old keeps asking when she can bathe dogs for me. She is quite a bit smaller than her older sister, but has a better work ethic, so I will probably start her this summer. It really is a time saver having a bather and they like the opportunity to earn more cash.
            Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

Hello Kitty,
              that is where I'm at with my helper. 13 years old, I love her she is such a big help, but I only let her do some pads or, trim a tail a bit, but I know if she messed up or, hurt a dog it would reflect on my shop.
              She is serious enough to have her own clippers, table, tub,(I sold her my old one) and shears for lefty's and has aussis sheps at home to practice on.
              And, since she is very confident with dogs, I have a feeling her true talents come out at home with her own dogs and not me looking on..I gave her all my plastic combs and she tries different stuff on her own!

Comment

all three of my girls have grown up with me grooming and have helped. my oldest is almost 20. she followed me to a shop and bathed there. another groomer there had her ruff cutting some dogs. she has groomed some dogs on her own. bath dogs with light trimming, but just recently she groomed a yorkie since I'm recovering from surgery, she did a really good job, if she had more time I think it would have been great. unfortunately, she is in school to be nurse. my 18 year old actually helps most often, bathing and drying, shes good, shed be better if she put her cell phone down. the youngest is 14, she might have some inclination to groom, although, she wanted to cut the tip of a poodle tail once, you know how we twist the hair, cut, and it poms,, well anyway, I twisted the hair and held both sides, as she proceeded to cut the tip of her own finger. she was checking the sharpness of the shear. guess what, kwik stop really works. but she has done about 75%
                of the groom on my dads cockapoo, hes a #10 all over. he pays her.
                I usually pay the girls very minimally, I think they can only earn like $599 in a 6 month period before they would need to file taxes, they usually dont get near that.

Comment

my oldest is 11 and he owns a Great Pyrenees.. the deal is when he can groom her to my satisfaction he can " be hired" to work on clients dogs.. he does quite well on the brush out. mostly he works the computer and cleans up.. he also has to do some school work while we are there ( we homeschool) so he gets a lesson in as well usually while I am finishing a dog. he has blown dry a few clients dogs for me but unless its someone he knows outside of work I am not confident in him doing much else..

mine have all gone since they were babies.. I am expecting in April and I am getting ready to set up a bassinet area for the little one.

Comment

Originally posted by TheyCallMeMom View Post

mine have all gone since they were babies.. I am expecting in April and I am getting ready to set up a bassinet area for the little one.
                    OMG a crying baby and barking dogs! You are a braver woman than me. I would think nails pads baths and drying would be ok, depending on your child. I started having to wash the dog when I was like 5, and washing and brushing my pony too. Picking out hooves and shaving bridle paths ears and muzzles, putting on hoof polish for shows. I guess it wasn't until I was about 10 or 11 that I shaved the cats head... Nice to know I get paid for these shenanigans now!

Comment

I have 4 kids and 4 step kids and throughout the yrs every one of them has come to work with me when I first started out in this field My 3 yr old came to work with alot up until she started school then she could only come half days.Every one of my kids has had the chance to learn to bath them its a great summer job for them when they grow up all of my bosses have been understanding and welcoming to my kids while they visited while I worked.I loved it

Comment

as long as they are your kids and it's your buisness you can work em to death. Mine are 9 and 14. They get a chance to do all kinds of stuff, within reason.
                        Also you can set them up with a roth ira too. That teaches them sooo much!! It's so funny to hear my 9 yr old talk about his retirement plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonpiepoodlz View Post
                          Mine have more or less grown up in a grooming room: from sleeping in a kennel for naps
                          that reminds me of when the sherrif responded to my home after my 4 year old son made a 911 hang up call. When he saw the sherrif he went right up to his room, hopped in the 700 crate and slammed the door. Boy did I have a lot of expalining. I was so embarrassed, my son just thougnt it was the best fort ever!

Comment

My 15 yo likes to help me by bathing and drying and brushing, he charges me exorbitant rates for his services though!!! When he was 10 I had a shop that was open 7 days a week and on the weekends he would work the reception desk, computer, answer the phone and make appointments and take the payments. The clients loved him and it was hilarious to listen to him advise them what haircut their dog should have.

Comment

The closest either one of my daughters got to grooming is when my yongest who was 15 at the time wanted to give our dog a clip. Since I had been too busy and she was up late and bored she helped herself to my mobile. When I got up in the morning our poor dog looked like it got into a fight with a weedwacker! When I asked her what the heck, she said do you know how hard it is to clip a dog with that little night light?! haha, she didn't know how to start the genne so she kept the van door open for light and made use of my cordless clippers till the batteries died.

Comment

Working...
                              X