No announcement yet.

How do you puppy cut a mini schnauzer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you puppy cut a mini schnauzer?

Hello,
    I am a new groomer and new to this forum. I have a client who would like a "puppy cut" on her mini schnauzer. I know that a "puppy cut" means different things to different people so I made sure I understood what she wanted. She wants one length all around. Ok, simple. Here is my issue. Whenever I clip a long haired dog it looks choppy on the sides where the longest hair grew. Any tips you have to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all!

Originally posted by sheltielove View Post
    Hello,
    I am a new groomer and new to this forum. I have a client who would like a "puppy cut" on her mini schnauzer. I know that a "puppy cut" means different things to different people so I made sure I understood what she wanted. She wants one length all around. Ok, simple. Here is my issue. Whenever I clip a long haired dog it looks choppy on the sides where the longest hair grew. Any tips you have to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all!
    Are you using a snap on comb? To me, those seem to give the best finish on a longer haired dog. And if you have a clipper vac, dont use it on a longer length "puppy cut".

Comment

I would just find out what the owner wants, I don't do any true puppy cuts (poodle type) Most of my clients think of it as the same length all over, which varies from scissor cut to a #4 blade. Make sure that you fluff the dog well after the bath. Just make sure you find out what look the client is going for maybe even ask if they have any pictures of the dog in the style they want.
      "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt,
      and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck
      www.wagmoresalon.com

Comment

I have 2 schnz's. that want this, at first I was baffled as to it would look like. Fianlly I"got it".

I do a longer version of the typical patternon the body; 2ss comb/ 0ss comb. On the head Iused the 2ss or a blade that would give a similar result. The brows and beard were minimal in length. They just do not want the sharp angles found on a show dog.

sittingpretty

Comment

For those pesky straight flat coats I usually use a blade to take the hair to the length I want it and then go over it with the corresponding size comb to make it perfect. The comb picks up the hair that the blade missed while the combination of the two makes the clip faster and more even.

Comment

If you don't have Wahl SS Combs you need to invest in them.....they are awesome. They cut through the coats like butter. I don't know if you are like me but I tend to be a little light on the pressure I use holding the clippers. Especially with combs. That tends to make the coat a little choppy. Giving a little heavier pressure and making sure to follow the contour of the body will cut down on the choppiness. I'm just skeered of catching a mat so I have to go over the body more than I should. I am in the process of working on my phobia though Also, after you are done go over the body lightly with thinners so that the coat lays better. That is what works for me.
            Mandy, Birdie, Evie, Willie and The Woo
            Check out my Blog at doggydivasdish.com

Comment

Thank you all so much!! I feel more comfortable going in to this profession with such great support! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Comment

Thank you!

Wow, you guys are wonderful! Thank you all so much, I feel so much more comfortable going in to this profession with such great support.

Comment

Working...
                X