Growing hair???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing hair???

Anybody got suggestions on getting coat to grow faster? One of my entries for Atlanta I got a little carried away and I'm afraid he is too short and not going to grow enough to make enough of a difference. Its been 2 weeks and he's grown some but not what I'd like.

worry doesnt help...pray to the hair gods....wash at least once a week....take some pepcid and hope for the best.

Comment

Bathe at least once a week, twice if possible. Condition Condition Condition. Don't brush the hair when it's dry, make sure to apply some spray or brush it while it's damp. When you brush while the coat is dry it makes the hair break.

Comment

I don't know about any remedies to grow coat besides keeping it clean, conditioned and brushed out. Was your dog too short to compete when you trimmed him last time?
        I was very worried in the past about the same thing and actually I am still worried because two of my entries are growing out from shave downs. However my past experience showed that dog may look like that there is no growth happening but competition time comes and they have enough coat. I competed with dog four weeks after Atlanta and he had plenty of coat. There was not much hair on the floor but I made a difference in appearance.
        Don't worry you will be fine.

Comment

You can try some Dreamcoat, it is made by Halo, you put it in their food. I have used it in the past with some good results and i know other people that swear by it. I found it at a health store locally that also carried pet products. I know you can find it online though.
          What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

Keep him clean and bathed. Clean hair grows!

Comment

Thanks!

So I'm on the right track he is getting bathed and conditioned 1 to 2 times a week. Thanks for all your input!

Comment

UMMM, you should not be using conditioner on your poodle, that will slow things down!

Comment

Originally posted by scissorhands2 View Post
                  UMMM, you should not be using conditioner on your poodle, that will slow things down!
                  I know a lot of people who condition their poodles. I was taught to bathe and dry, then take the conditioner and apply it to the ends of the coat with my fingers to help prevent breakage. Or to apply a spray on conditioner.

Comment

MASSAGE and Evening Primrose Oil

Good luck and BTW, I loved what you did with carving your poo (saw the other side on FB)!

Comment

Originally posted by windfall4 View Post
                      I know a lot of people who condition their poodles. I was taught to bathe and dry, then take the conditioner and apply it to the ends of the coat with my fingers to help prevent breakage. Or to apply a spray on conditioner.
                      Depends on the situation, if you condition ends....it softens them and they break faster, it weakens them. Tipping a tiny bit each week works wonders. Think about it, poodles are water dogs they are supposed to have a dense coat not soft and silky. Once a week baths with the right brushes and combs, fluffed dryed the right way, line brush and away from the body, you will see tons of coat. And of course Crowne Royal #3 for finishing.

Comment

Originally posted by neanea View Post
                        MASSAGE and Evening Primrose Oil

Good luck and BTW, I loved what you did with carving your poo (saw the other side on FB)!
                        Thank you, it was fun to do. Going to be hard for me to top that one.

Comment

Originally posted by poodlecrazy78 View Post
                          Thank you, it was fun to do. Going to be hard for me to top that one.
                          I bet it was and it seems you've gotten at least a few motivated to do it also It was very beautiful!

Comment

Check out kalaya Kenic Emu Oil shampoo. I use this on my own dogs, after using it for years on showdogs when I worked for a Standard Poodle exhibitor.

Google emu oil and check out it's benefits for skin and hair. It is highly penetrative to the skin and moisturizing to the hair.

Comment

[QUOTE=scissorhands2;389117]Depends on the situation, if you condition ends....it softens them and they break faster, it weakens them. QUOTE]

I know that's what we've all been taught. I was told the same thing. But if you understand what conditioners really do, you'll see it isn't true. And believe it or not, there are things to use to condition the coat that not only don't soften, they leave the hair shaft hard.

Comment

Working...
                              X