Trust fund customers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trust fund customers?

I had a potential client call me last week saying he wanted his cat bathed, but wouldn't be able to pay me cause he has a trust fund. He would have to get the grooming approved (which he says he has done) and then send them the bill, then I'd get paid within 2 wks directly from the fund, not through him. I told him no.

Today I get a message from a customer I have been grooming for a couple years, but she only comes in maybe 2 times a year. She is always saying how much she loves me, and takes loads of cards and brochures to hand out so she can get the referral discount. Well, she's the one who told the trust fund guy to call me. She called today to vouch for him, and say he was legitimate, and would I reconsider bathing his cat. What should I do? I told the man I would send him a bill that he could present to the people and then when I get the check he could come in for grooming. I think that's generous, you?
    Erin
    No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

welllllllllllllllll

I guess I would.

Probably because I am not a busy place.
    If you are, I can understand your hesitation. I would have too.

But, with her vouching for him, I guess you could wait for the money,
    its better than nothing.
    If you are busy though, I wouldn't want to wait for payment.
    Seems he could cough up the cash, and turn in the receipt for the
    groom. Who knows.
    I would rather HE do the waiting to get paid back.

Comment

Well, I hate to sound like a skeptic, but.......

I think that you are correct in refusing to do the groom without payment when services are rendered. I'm sure that if he wanted to go out to eat, he wouldn't tell the rest. that he would have the "fund" send them a check in two weeks.
      It's all about what people are willing to spend their money on and he is choosing to not spend his cash on his cat. If the cat has went this long (however long it's been), then it will wait two weeks for him to get the alloted funds from his trust.
      I tend to not be so trusting when it comes to people wanting to bring a payment by later. I've provided a service and deserve to be paid for it. After all, I don't have a trust fund to depend on. Poor guy :'(

Comment

Trust fund?

Most people with a trust fund get an allowance from it for routine expenses. Perhaps he needs to figure this expense in several times a year.

I think your pre-pay idea will work just fine as long as you don't make it look like you've done the work if you haven't. Have the guy bring the cat in for a quote (so you can be accurate) and then give him a written estimate of the job which you agree to perform upon receipt of payment for services. Also include your tip if you need it becasue they aren't going to give him extra for it.

Comment

I wouldn't. It does sound fishy, so how does he pay for restaurants? Gas? His own haircuts?

Comment

Would MAcy's let him buy a suit and pay two weeks later?? I think not. You are a business not a lending institution. Just tell your customer who referred him that in order to keep business expenses down payment is due at the time of service. How does this guy get his own hair cut?? Do you think a hair cutter would wait 2 weeks for payment??

Comment

I'm not sure. He said his father set up this trust fund for him, but he sounds like an adult, not some young kid. It just seems peculiar to me, like you guys said, what's he do to go out to eat, etc. The only thing I can think of is that he is not capable of having any money (some sort of addiction or something, course maybe I'm biased cause I have family that would fit into this category), but I don't know why he can't have the bill sent to the fund, and as soon as it comes in I'll groom the cat before I deposit the money. I'd rather just not deal with this headache. Do you think I'm just being rude? Or is it a valid concern?
              Erin
              No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

Call me young and niave, but what's a trust fund?

Comment

trust fund customers

No money, no groom. I bet he finds the $ for his cigs and/or liguor bills.

astrordog

Comment

My employer does 2 trust fund dogs, She did them before I got there and still does them... they pay by check sent to her within the week,I guess she just trusted them to pay and they did. If this situation would come up again, I like the sending a bill and having them bring the check along idea to the groom.
                    I have asked her the same questions you do,ie the suit from Macys or their own haircuts etc.. and we laugh about it. How do some people survive...

Comment

I dated a guy with a trust fund. Both of his parents died when he was a teenager and had this fund set up. Every 5 years he got a lump sum, but if he want to purchase something big like a new truck, then he had to get it approved and they would send him the check. So he could also choose to take the lum sum or choose to have the fund people keep it and invest it back into stocks and bonds etc so his money would grow. So it may be that he didn't take the lump sum and is now having trouble paying for his everyday expenses. I agree in what you told him. And I think it is fair to wait until you are paid to do the groom. If you buy something on Ebay and pay by check, they will not send the item until your check has cleared their bank. SO why should you be any different in your business, after all you can't take a haircut back once it is given.

Comment

See?

I learn so much from you guys.
                        Of course you are right.
                        No money no worky.
                        After all, grooming is not exactly a necessity like eating.
                        You CHOOSE to have a dog.

And no resturant WOULD loan him money for a meal, or a grocery
                        store either. I am just to easy on folks. Thats why I like these boards
                        so much.

Comment

Give him a quote and an appt. for 2 wks to the day, and when they give him the money in 2 wks. he can pay you on time. I agree with the others-payment is due on the day of the grooming.

Comment

I would not do it without immediate payment. Tell him to have a friend led him money.
                            If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

We have had customers board with this type of payment. We haven't been burned yet. We give them the receipt and the law firm sends us a check. In a boarding case it is a much larger bill so maybe it shouldn't be such an ordeal for a groom. But, given that it is a good customer's friend, I may give it a try and hope that he becomes a regular.

Comment

Working...
                              X