Question for you all about matts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for you all about matts

Do you charge your clients if a dog comes in with a few matts and they say just shave them out? Iam asking because we do and i just wondered if we were the only ones. Every client acts like it.

If I can thin them out instead of shaving no. If their "few" is my quite a few then yes.
    ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
    Apparently common sense isn't all that common
    *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

Honestly I consider shaving out the mats dematting just as much as splitting them, thinning them or combing them! It takes time when you are trying to clip a coat and you find the mats or to go through with a comb and shave them out when you find them.

Comment

It depends on the mats themselves and the client .I have regulars that bring their dogs in monthly that still get mats and I brush them out without charging extra or new customers I will give a break to the first time around. In the past I have charged as little as $1 mat removal for those pesky behind ear mats.The whole concept of charging for removing these mats it to encourage the owners to brush their dog in between grooming appointments. Bottom line is if they feel you will just take care of it when the time comes and it doesn't cost them extra to have you remove them why should they bother.

Comment

Originally posted by pooh13 View Post
          It depends on the mats themselves and the client .I have regulars that bring their dogs in monthly that still get mats and I brush them out without charging extra or new customers I will give a break to the first time around. In the past I have charged as little as $1 mat removal for those pesky behind ear mats.The whole concept of charging for removing these mats it to encourage the owners to brush their dog in between grooming appointments. Bottom line is if they feel you will just take care of it when the time comes and it doesn't cost them extra to have you remove them why should they bother.
          That's the way i have always felt, I just wanted to get second opinions

Comment

My prices are very high. If my regular clients come in matted once in a while I do what needs to be done and do not charge extra. I want to feel like and be seen as part of a team with my clients for their pets health and welbeing. If everyone is doing their part but they miss some mats or get super busy for a period and fall behind, I am not going to penalize my teammates for that.

If they come in very matted every time and it is obvious they are not doing their part at home at all then we do have a discussion about higher rates and I always give the option of coming more frequently or teaching them again the proper brushing techniques. Honestly though, out of all my regulars I can only think of three that come in regularly matted that take significantly extra time. 2 polish sheepdogs and an OES. I know the polish sheepdog owners try sooo hard to brush at home but the coats are SO thick and the dogs young and a bit wild. (same litter different owners) They just are not able to do a good job. Neither of them complains when I have to charge more or shave.

I know I look at it a little differently then most groomers do and I understand the other view (more time more money) It is just the way I have decided I want to feel about my work and my relationship with my clients.

Comment

To me, a "few' means maybe 3 or 4. Do I charge extra to take my ten blade and quickly knock out 3 or 4 mats? Generally speaking, no.
              The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit. ~Nelson Henderson

Comment

Originally posted by pooh13 View Post
                I started doing the same thing last year. I got really tired of people expecting me to dematt their whole dog for the same price as a unmatted dog. I would only charge 5 and extreme cases 10 more. I had a lot of people throw a fit! But they bring in the pet on a regular schedule now. Even if the pet in shave down and severly matted I charge more. You gotta charge for your time!

Comment

I guess for me it kinda depends on the type of dog. If its a golden type with matts behind the ears or one in the butt I don't really charge extra. Now if its a more poodle or shihtzu type coated dog with matts on its body than yes I charge more because the few matts you can "shave" are usually only the begining for all the smaller matts you end up having to deal with.

Comment

If it takes me more time w/the groom that is usual that I will charge extra to "zip" them out. I charge more if there is anything significant in the grooming, like extra dirty, extra deshedd time, dematting, difficult dog, etc.... that takes more time than the grooming would normally take.
                    SheilaB from SC

Comment

I'm with Sheila. If it takes more time, I charge more money.

Comment

I refuse to de-mat dogs by hand since it is uncomfortable for the dog and makes them hate getting groomed.

I only charge more if it takes more time to shave through a pelt. So my matting fee is basically just a charge for the extra time it would take to get blades though a -heavy- pelt. Most matted dogs do not get charged since I can usually shave under the mats in the same about of time I could do a regular strip down.

Comment

Originally posted by sheilabgroomer View Post
                          If it takes me more time w/the groom that is usual that I will charge extra to "zip" them out. I charge more if there is anything significant in the grooming, like extra dirty, extra deshedd time, dematting, difficult dog, etc.... that takes more time than the grooming would normally take.
                          Same here. If it takes longer, I charge more. If it doesn't, I don't.
                          "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

I did forget one thing. If an animal is severely matted, I am required to charge a dematting fee, no matter how long it does or doesn't take. My boss says she consideres it punitive damages, and anyone who allows an animal to get in that shape deserves to pay for it. And I gotta add, she has a hefty fee schedule for "punitive damages."

Comment

Working...
                            X