A dog I don't want to do....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A dog I don't want to do....?

I recently opened my own salon, and I don't believe I'm in a position to turn customers away, but there is a cocker that I did a my previous job that I didn't get along with. Now, the cocker family is not happy with that shop and is looking for someone else. What should I do? I just want to be prepared when they call. When I just think of this dog I start stressing. Does this ever happen to anyone else?

If you really don't want to do it, it would be better to be honest with them. Tell them why you would rather not do their dog.

Hopefully you didn't leave a forwarding address and they will never find you. If they do find you it will be years from now and you will be totally full and have no room to take on new clients.

Good luck with you new shop.
    "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
    Diane

Comment

the money you make from this dog , is not worth spending time stressed out, each time you know he is coming in. i speak from experience, ha. if they call, maybe, you could just politely decline, saying you feel the dog would do best with another groomer. just my 2 cents worth.

Comment

Politely turn them down, say the other shop was the only one who could handle it.

Comment

For some reason dogs like that have owners that remember your name. My own personal oppinion is if you don't do it who will. The dog will probably get passed from one groomer to the next and never learn to trust anyone.

Comment

I've turned dogs away

I say to myself, why did I get my own business? Depending on why you and the Cocker did not get along will guide your answer if they call. If it bit, you can say you do not handle biters. If it is a wild child, then say you had help at the shop, you would not feel confident to not have extra hands with their dog. Another option is to charge an arm and a leg for the dog's behavioral problem so they'll likely not come in, but if they do you'll feel it was worth it.
            Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

We all have dogs that we would prefer not to do. If you don't do it..who will. I take these dogs on as a challenge. Schedule enough time and be sure to charge for your time. Work slowly with the dog to help build trust. In time the dog will usually adjust to working with the same person. Just think how boring our jobs would be if we didn't have the occassional challenge. I enjoy working with the bad ones that nobody else will groom. They usually turn out to be the best customers and the dogs usually turn into being easy dogs. Just be patient and calm...if the dog senses your stress or fear you are in trouble.

Comment

Send the dog to kaitash!LOL

Comment

I was young and foolish too

I used to actually like the challenge. I can remember people would brag about my ability to do any dog. A biter, send it on to Leah. Now, nope. I'll let the Kaitashs of the grooming world have the pleasure. If in the area, do as Misscatahoula said, send the dog to Kaitash.
                  Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Lol, Kaitish, I've almost completely eliminated "problem" dogs, what I feel is safety, comfort and pleasure....NEVER boredom. But I'm sure greatful to people like you!!

Comment

Being mobile and at my age I'll take all the boring I can get! lol

Comment

I'd say don't do it. Is it the owners or the dog who is the problem? If it's the owners, I might try and do the dog one more time. If it's the dog that's no good, I'd say you can't groom the dog. I liked the excuses someone gave above, those are polite ways to handle it.
                        Erin
                        No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

Originally posted by beanie baby View Post
                          For some reason dogs like that have owners that remember your name. My own personal oppinion is if you don't do it who will. The dog will probably get passed from one groomer to the next and never learn to trust anyone.
                          This is SO true!!! I feel for you K-9 this happened often to me when I first opened. I got all the dogs that had been to all the groomer's and no one would take them anymore and so they ended up with me (plus all the rotten dogs had the owners that had my name written in stone somewhere). Arrooh gave excellent advice and I couldn't have said it better myself. Good luck with your new shop! Let us know how things go for you.

Comment

a dog I don't want to do

the answer to that is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. And then move on.

astrordog

We are not obligated to groom ANY dog or cat we don't want to. This is America

astrordog

Comment

With all of the trials of having your own business, one of the positives is that YOU get to choose your customers. While I think it is not wise to turn away most customers, why set yourself up for possible negative publicity? If you know this dog is trouble and there is a chance that you won't be able to finish the groom or that it won't come out well, not to mention your stress level going through the roof, why do the dog?

Comment

Working...
                              X