Not another one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not another one!

Lucy is back to her old self. Now Jake is sick. Completely different symptoms though. He started throwing up a couple of days ago. He still seems interested in eating (no big surprise there, Jake is an utter pig about his food) and drinking, but throws up immediately afterward. He also threw up twice this morning, once at 4am and again at about 5:30. Nothing but liquid. If I give him 1 cc of Mylanta before a meal, he can keep it down. If I don't - gack! he brings it up within 5 minutes.

I thought he had turned a corner last night when he was playing with his sister. No vomiting and he still wants to interact. Then he had the heevy-jeevies this morning. I've got him isolated in the guest room (now referred to as Kitty ICU) so I can monitor his litter box habits. If I see diarrhea, Ill start thinking pancreatitis. As of now, Im thinkin it might be a kidney infection but I just cant be sure. Unfortunately, after our latest round of pinpoint-the-illness-on-the-kitty, I cannot vet him until tomorrow at the earliest.

As long as he continues to eat and drink, I wont go into full-blown panic mode quite yet. But man oh man am I tired of my kids getting sick! I was just starting to regain my energy and sleep from the whole ordeal with Lucy...If you have anymore energy for a few more kind thoughts sent in our direction, I sure would appreciate it.

Oh, yeah - Wyatt has an ear infection; guess he's tired of the cats getting all the attention...ENORMOUS sigh.
    Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
    George Sand (1804 - 1876)

WOW

I don't know what to say except how sorry I am this is happening to you. Could what they have be contageous? Gee, and another vet visit will take more from your bank balance. I hope things turn around and are Fabulous the rest of the year.

Comment

PF....might be time to take a walkie all around outside where the kitties do...and see if maybe, just maybe,....there is something they are getting into, coming in contact with, or otherwise exposed to?
      Might well be it's a contagious "kitty bug", but just to rule anything else out?

(Don't know why I even write this,....knowing you... there are 46 well worn paths already!)

Hope Mr. Jake gets back to sorts really soon, and tell Wyatt to knock it off...he already got "his" w/ his bionic knee.
      Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

i agree with 4Sibes. It could also be caused by the stress in the household due to Lucy. Keep us informed.
        Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
        "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

Originally posted by 4Sibes View Post
          PF....might be time to take a walkie all around outside where the kitties do...and see if maybe, just maybe,....there is something they are getting into, coming in contact with, or otherwise exposed to?
          Might well be it's a contagious "kitty bug", but just to rule anything else out?

(Don't know why I even write this,....knowing you... there are 46 well worn paths already!)
          Oh, you know me too well, my friend. I have canvassed every neighbor, their driveways, lawns & landscaping for a 2 mile radius. Literally. I have nothing else to do at the moment, being as how Im still unemployed (a whole nother issue entirely). Every mushroom has been picked and disposed of. Every driveway has been scanned for antifreeze. Plus, read the post again. Jakes symptoms are different than Lucy's were. He's had 3 small meals today w/Mylanta appetizers and kept down all 3. BUT (big butt) - he has not used the litterbox at all. I keep glancing at my Cornell Vet Reference book but refuse to open it. It still whispers to me as I pass by: "kiddddneeeez". Honestly, if he's not better by tomorrow Im gonna have to take him to the vet. I guess theres little difference between owing $250 and owing $450...I still owe.

And OMG...Wyatt's poor ear is just naaasty and he comes to me for cleaning and "ear goop", otherwise known as Mometamax (which we keep in supply due to his chronic otitis in his OTHER ear) every hour or so, smearing that nasty black yeasty **** all over my clothes. He's a smart boy, my Wyatt. He figured out a long time ago that when something hurts, is irritated, or itchy, ya gotta let the humans know so they can fix it. And hes very insistent about it: My ear is itchy - goop my ear, my paw hurts - clean it and put a booty on (he'll actually bring me a booty, goofy dog), my leg hurts - massage my hips, blah blah blah. Plus Cleo & Emily are very concerned about a: why Jake is now in kitty jail and b: what the hell Im doing to THEIR dog while Im cleaning his ear that makes him moan and wag....is it something tasty? can we have some? Move over, we can't SEE!

And as for Lucy? She's decided that all the undivided attention she received over the last week is now the new standard and nags me incessantly.

Honestly, I need a loooong vacation from illness, stress and drama....can I come live with you, Bernie? You've always seemed like such a stable sort; insane, but stable.
          Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.

Comment

Oh my, Florence Nightingown is getting a little testy isn't she?
            I don't need to read no stinkin post "again", lol!

Sometimes, different animals can exhibit/overlap different symptoms. Granted...not a ton of similarities 'tween Lucy and Jake's...but I just thought it was worth mentioning.

Have you tried the Zymox ear cleaner for Jake? Alot of my goopy-earred Lab and Golden owners have had good luck w/ it.

I like listening to owners try to say Mometamax.

OMG...you actually think there is no stress or drama here? This one time...I took some beets....
            PF....of course you can come live w/ me, insanity not only rules here...but it's contagious, and we all have the same symptoms.
            Last edited by 4Sibes; 02-04-10, 10:16 PM.
            Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

PF I just had to pick myself up from the floor (TWICE) after reading the words (or would it be a term?) "stable insanity". I have word/term for you. OXYMORON!!!!!!lol.....

Referring to Bernie as a stable loony is like calling me a graceful clutz or a calm spaz. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.......HOWEVER, the fact that it doesn't make much sense just mite make it applicable to our resident comedienne.

(Sorry Bernie, I just couldn't let this one go especially since I passed up commenting on your drooling problems. I can only be nice for so long before I explode)

PF I really and truly feel for you and what you are going through. But I wasn't at all surprised to read that you had another sick kitty to go along w/the first sick kitty and the pitiful pooch w/the goop ears. Didn't your mama ever tell you that bad things happen in 3's????????

With any amount of luck this is your set of 3 and you will be good to go for a long time. I just hope that Wyatt or the sick kitty isn't starting a new set of "3's". That would be just terrible!!!! .... Please....don't..... hurt..... me .....I'm.....just.....KIDDING!!!!!!!!............. ducking and running now.... ;-)

On the serious side, I really hope this is just a case of a stubborn hair ball or a jealous cat wanting more of mama's attention or of you making hypochondriacs (or would it be Munchhausen's ?????) out of your critters since you are home now and monitoring their every breath and bowel.......okay I couldn't stay serious, sorry! I tried!......

I'm sending a BIG serious hugg over the net to you and your patients (sure hope I don't catch anything!.....maybe I should have worn a mask......wheres that Lysol hiding.....).
              SheilaB from SC

Comment

Your package should arrive today. Maybe it will help- anything's worth a try.
                If it makes you feel any better I am sharing your misery. Dickens smelled bad again yesterday, so I am going to have to take him in. And to top it all off, I have been cough free for two days-yay. So guess what? I woke up yesterday with an ear feeling full of fluid. Sure enough- I have an ear infection.
                Has Jake pooped yet? We talk a lot about poop on our chinchilla forum. Poop is a good thing, no poop is a bad thing. If there is still no poop and he is still vomiting, then off to the vet for xrays. I don't think kidneys- I think bowel obstruction would be a likely cause. At least that is fixable.
                On another topic- did you sign a non compete with bossman? I have a client who has a hydraulic table and also a small portable table she is looking to sell, along with a stand dryer that needs work- although I may have dibs on that one. Point is, if you are interested, let me know and I will ask her what she wants for them.

Comment

I'll be watching the mailbox, LSD. Can't thank you enough for that (in case y'all are wondering, LSD won the lottery and is sending me a million dollars! Hey, I can dream, can't I? Actually she's sending me a bottle of espree ear cleaner to try on Wyatt's ears, which, if it works, is worth at LEAST a million dollars in my book!). Im glad your lungs are clearing up but it sucks that you have an ear infection. Seems like you've been sick for-EVER!

Non-compete? Of course! In fact I went over the contract again yesterday (with a jaundiced eye, I'll admit). It provides all sorts of protections for the employer but none for the employee. And what it DOES provide for the employee is negated by the fine print that says this contract is subject to change without notice, at the whim of the employer. Typical California b.s....however, the non-compete clause is non-binding in this state.

No vomiting for about 30 hours now. Gonna try giving Jakey a small meal at lunch w/o a Mylanta appetizer and see if he keeps it down. Been watching his litter box like a hawk, trolling for kitty roca...so far, no love....I'll be posting about my cat's bowel movements later for anyone who is interested in such a riveting drama....

Comment

UPDATE: Houston, we have a poop!

I awoke to the most lovely music I've heard in days! Farting, straining, an olfactory-assaulting chorus, and a scraping-litter coda! My boy Jakey had produced the most perfectest, solid, pretty little poop, truly a thing of beauty.

Altho he made a couple of "gurk, gurk" sounds at about 5am, nothing came up. I fed him w/o mylanta at 6am this morning and so far he's keeping everything down. So, if he doesn't barf, doesn't have a fever (oh boy, THAT was fun; he's not nearly as cooperative as Lucy when it comes to having things stuck up his butt) and no diarrhea, I'll treat any continuing retching issues as a very persistent hairball.

It is truly amazing to me how, with all the horrors going on in the world, with my own personal issues of forced early semi-retirement, massive vet bills last week, and fighting like hell to be a non-smoker (oops, my secret is out), I can derive such joy from something as simple as a lack of barfing and a normal bowel movement from my cat! Truly, I appreciate the little things in life these days.

/happy dance to clean out the litter box

Comment

Originally posted by PuppyFluffer View Post
                      I awoke to the most lovely music I've heard in days! ... /happy dance to clean out the litter box
                      Yahoo, Yippeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So glad things are moving in the right direction again.
                      "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go." ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                      X