This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a thought

Recently there has been a rash of severe pet injures at local shops in my area. One dog had its tongue cut off (almost a 1/4in, which had to be cauterized and receive a blood transfusion), a mini poodle suffered a broken back and a pom had it's tail entirely cut off. All of these incidents occured at different shops, and although none were at my current place of employment it still effects all of us. Accidents happen but this level of severe injures really does leave a bad taste in people's mouth about groomers. I'm sure these pet owners are hesitant to trust ANY groomer again and have passed along their feelings to their family and friends. I know we all get stressed and have days where we are overbooked, tired and dealing with a challenge on our table. Just take a break for a moment (even put the dog in a kennel for a little) and just remember that although you may not be a fan of this pet or have the time to deal with antics, this is someone's baby and taking the extra time that might be necessary is worth not severely injuring a pet. Plus your fellow groomers will appreciate you upholding a good reputation for our field.

Too true. That is scary that all those accidents happened so close to you... I wish the news stories would cover all the GOOD things groomers are doing for society, not just showing up with something horrible happens, that plays such a big part in how our clients view us. Any time Extra shows something about a groomer killing a dog in a cage dryer, the next day at work all the customers freak about cage dryers.

Comment

I used to groom a dog with 3 legs- it had to be amputated after the groomers left him on the table and had wen't to lunch. They forgot he was on there and had come back and he had jumped off pulling the table over onto his leg. He had gone too long with no circulation and it had to be amputated.

We actually have several shops in our area where the groomers and staff leave for lunch leaving all of the dogs locked in the shop.

Comment

what part of flordia are you near? i havent heard anything like that lately. You are totally right too.

Comment

[QUOTE=just remember that although you may not be a fan of this pet or have the time to deal with antics, this is someone's baby and taking the extra time that might be necessary is worth not severely injuring a pet. Plus your fellow groomers will appreciate you upholding a good reputation for our field.[/QUOTE]

Very well said Princess Poodle! Thanks for that reminder! Something we all need to think about when we get that difficult or ornery dog on our table.

Comment

Okay, we all understand accidents happen and a tongue can be a "snake" at times but HOW IN THE WORLD do you cut off a tail?!
            ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
            Apparently common sense isn't all that common
            *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

Those are not the only major accidents in FL this month. Read my blog entry. That happened there as well.

It is odd that so many accidents are happening in one area.

I have a question though. HOW do you cut off a TAIL?

I always treat the pets with respect and if I ever stop I will quit grooming. I also think groomers need to knwo when to say ENOUGH and when to say NO. I sent home two dogs this month already that I did not feel safe doing. A standard poodle and a toy poodle. The shop they both were groomed at previously has a "history".
              <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Debi- I hadn't heard anything about that here in Florida.

Comment

I would like to know what type of clippers or scissors the people that cut off the tail were using. OY! Maybe a hacksaw??? wow!
                  BTW, thank you for that statement. It was very well said!
                  Mandy, Birdie, Evie, Willie and The Woo
                  Check out my Blog at doggydivasdish.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gracy Rose View Post
                    Debi- I hadn't heard anything about that here in Florida.
                    I am not at liberty to say WHERE but yes, it was in FL.
                    <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Gracy Rose View Post
                      We actually have several shops in our area where the groomers and staff leave for lunch leaving all of the dogs locked in the shop.
                      I don't find this to be strange. I do the same. We close for an hour and I make sure all dogs are in their crates and go in the house and have lunch. What is the concern with this as compared to people having their crates in another room and not seeing the dogs while their in there all day?

Comment

PetsRus- I find it extremely "off putting" but I don't like dogs out of view either.

Comment

Originally posted by PetsRus View Post
                          I don't find this to be strange. I do the same. We close for an hour and I make sure all dogs are in their crates and go in the house and have lunch. What is the concern with this as compared to people having their crates in another room and not seeing the dogs while their in there all day?
                          It means that if anything happened to the dog in the kennel, you wouldn't find out about it till an hour later. By then, it might be too late to do anything.

And as for the original post, I think that accidents can and do happen. Sometimes it has nothing to do with how stressed you are or how busy you are. It doesn't always mean the groomer was neglectful or uncaring either.

A little story... This was like 3 years ago. Anyways, a groomer that I know was combing a pom's tail, it wasnt matted or anything. Well, the end of the tail came off. I can't remember what the verdict was, because it was years ago, but I remember that the vet did say that it wasn't her fault and that she did nothing wrong. Sometimes things just happen.

Comment

Ugg this makes me hesitant to go back to grooming in FL. I immediately made me think of at least 3 groomers that could have done those things, and those are just the ones I know! Always sad to hear of things like this, usually just carelessness cause someone is in a hurry for one reason or another.

Comment

Tragic

Over 15 years ago, I picked up my two Cockers who were very well kept and used to being groomed every 4 weeks from the groomer, I was leary the first time I left them b/c they had a Cocker's muzzle tied shut with a shoe string but since they showed dogs I figured they knew what they were doing and the came well recommended so things went well for a year or so (my Cockers were the only ones in town my Vet would work on without muzzling them and we even did Pet Therapy at our local nursing home) when we got home right under Bailey's mouth was a perfect blade size gash it did not require stitches but what was so wrong about it was that they did not tell me. I never gave them any trouble or complaints b/c up til then the work was excellent, being passive aggressive I did not say anything, I just bought an a5 and started doing them myself, they went through like a year of weird hair and flat heads but I never cut them or burned them. I feel like grooming an animal should be an art form, not an economic commodity. When the grooming schools talk about how much money you can make they talk about eight dogs a day, I think that is totally unrealistic. The goals of groomers should be: Spending your life in service to God's creatures that give us so much unconditional love, having a smile on your face b/c you love what you are doing, to keep the dogs skin healthy first, pretty second, owner happy third, compensation for services last. I was a school teacher and was surrounded by teachers who hated their students, (I home school my daughter now). Students deserve better and so do animals, no matter what- I think the problem stems with Salon owners that just consider the bottom dollar and have lost their love for pets and with burnt out groomers who are just trying to pay the bills. If you don't love love love animals you need to get out. Some may find great success but I think it will come ethically based on true love and concern for animals, I wish Particentral would open a school, her blog and website illustrate success and compassion in action, only love would lead her to scissor that Labradoodle for that young man. Why in the world would a Yorkie need cage drying except for keeping the assembly line going. I would like to know how the Poodle broke it's back? I love the post from the groomer who with the smelly Golden who groomed two of them in 2 1/2 hours that is outrageous, you couldn't get two of those done in 2 1/1 hours if you dried them in a wind tunnel. As for leaving the dogs in the shop while you go home for lunch - a client leaves the dogs with you with the understanding that they will be under your watchful and loving eye the entire time, what if your building catches on fire or your air conditioner or heater breaks, what if a teacher decided to leave a bunch of babies in their cribs to run out for lunch? Just bring your lunch with you or rotate breaks.

Comment

Working...
                              X