Poodle HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poodle HELP!!

I have posted pics of the standard poodle I rescued a few months ago. Well, he has been doing very well with trainging, etc until a week ago he decided to jump on a boxer. They were both fine (I got burned by the stupid retractable lead, but the dogs were unhurt). I told the poodle's foster mom that she needed to work with a trainer before he could come back for daycare again. Well, today, the trainer called and said that he bit her. I was shocked! The trainer is now upset that he needs not be bred (he is a nice AKC male I intended to breed to my female this year) and that he is a danger to people and dogs. The foster mom just picked him up and said the trainer grabbed him by the collar and he freaked out, flipped over and peed and put his mouth on her (didn't break the skin). She (the trainer) said that this is not a "he had a bad childhood" thing that he is just a bad dog. I don't like this trainer now, but am freaking out as to what to do with Billy. He really is a sweet dog, but I'm stressing about this! I'm calling the trainer that worked with my giant schnauzers and I hope he will take it from here. HELP - any advice would be appreciated!

Just because someone is a "trainer" does not necessarily mean they are good at it. I've met a few who couldn't read dog behavior at all and some that just expected to get dogs to behave by trying to overpower and control them. Not saying this is the case, just that I think you need to get another opinion from another trainer, one you know and trust. it doesn't sound like this is the case with this trainer. Right now, try to relax, contact this other trainer and get him re-evaluated and go from there. In all my years grooming, there are maybe one or two dogs I would say were outright "just a bad dog" and it wasn't really that, it was that they had some wires crossed somewhere in their head. I don't get a good vibe from your description of this trainer at all and would really wait to worry until someone you know to be good checks him out.
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

From fosters discription of situation it sounds like he was scared by trainer grabbing his collar and was acting out of fear. If he fully intended to hurt he he would have. Does it make him a bad dog? I don't think so.
      I would look for different trainer and try again. But I don't know what exactly are you expecting out of trainer because when you have intact dogs they are more than likely will chalenge other dogs for pack leadership and in unstable pack (daycare) it will be happening regardless of how well dogs are trained.

Comment

I have to agree with others that you have this dog re-evaluated by a trainer that you know and/or trust. And having an intact dog in with a group of dogs can always be risky and can lead to dog/dog aggression. This is the reason I do not like and will not use dog parks. Don't fret yet and have this dog evaluated again.
        Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

Originally posted by lexapurple View Post
          From fosters discription of situation it sounds like he was scared by trainer grabbing his collar and was acting out of fear. If he fully intended to hurt he he would have. Does it make him a bad dog? I don't think so.
          I would look for different trainer and try again. But I don't know what exactly are you expecting out of trainer because when you have intact dogs they are more than likely will chalenge other dogs for pack leadership and in unstable pack (daycare) it will be happening regardless of how well dogs are trained.
          I totally agree with this one,and a complete stranger grabbing any dogs collar in a forceful disciplining manner would make even a well trained dog freak out

Comment

The bite that was not a bite

Ok, trainer grabs dog by the collar, whereupon the dog either panics or has a tantrum. I'm going to say panics, because he peed! Puts teeth on skin but does not break the skin. WTF??? That is not a bite. That is an "I'm so worried I wish I could bite you and make you stop/go away but I'm still doing an inhibited bite" fake bite.

Anyway, yes, glad you are having a different trainer look at him.

I would not have an unneutered male in day care. Asking for problems, i.e. fights and injuries.

Comment

Poor poo! He did nothing wrong, the so called trainer did, I would never grab strange dog by the collar, I agree with everyone on this, get a good trainer to evaluate this dog, he is workable, needs FAIR firm consistant training, correct the dog, give it a minute to set in and then praise the dog, not send him to the gallows for put in defense ! Sounds like a nice 'fixable' dog.
              ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

first off I agree with everyone else on having another trainer, I also agree with having an uneutered male around a day care is asking for trouble especially if you want to use this dog for stud, it is going to change his whole outlook on things.

Comment

I don't understand how a "rescue" dog is not neutered and why people are upset about not being able to breed him now? Maybe I am missing something.

Comment

more details..

When I say "daycare" I meant that he comes and plays with my dogs. My 2 giant schnauzers and my standard poo. My giant male is neutered and backs down from any confrontation. He would never be with client dogs. The boxer he treid to jump on was being walked to the kennels on a lead. He comes for the socialization he never got as a puppy.

As for the rescue part, I rescued him from a client. She paid $1500 for a standard poo to breed and kept him in a crate for almost a year. When I met him, he was covered in fleas and his legs and belly were stained with pee from laying in it. He had a bacterial infection on his testicles (also from being in his pee soaked crate.) I paid her $100 to get him out of the situation. I contacted the breeder and she has pretty nice lines and I like this dog. I have a client that has my standard poodle's sister (who is spayed) and he is living with her. He is very submissive, but in staying with us several days per week, he is getting over that. We expected this trainer to help more than just piss us off!

Comment

OK, a picture...

of the vicious poodle and his foster mom on his way whome last night... Can you see the aggression oozing off of him??
                      Attached Files

Comment

That cuteness needs to quit....my baby does that too. Don't it just melt you?
                        There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                        X