Canine Seizures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canine Seizures

I noticed my poor 10 yr APBT having a seizure Saturday night. Of course I don't know if this was the first, but the first time I saw it and I came in at the end of it not really registering at the time that was what was happening. Took him to the emergency room and had some blood tests done and x-rays but nothing seemed wrong. Well Sunday morning he had 2nd seizure and Sunday night a 3rd. Thankfully I was with him during both of those. I took him to his primary vet Monday morning and they put him on Pheno. Without a ct scan there is no way to know if he has a brain tumor. Has anyone else experienced this? I am so scared beyond belief and just need to talk through this. I realize that none of are vets and this is all just about personal experience.

Hope these anecdotes might by of value, but again, like you stated, it's just personal experience:

Some seizures are caused by low blood sugar - feeding twice a day versus once a day is better.

Infected or rotten teeth could be a problem, too. Make sure your vet checks that.

It wouldn't hurt to contact an animal acupuncturist, they may be able to help, too.

Low blood calcium, or deterioration of the parathyroid glands can cause seizures.

I would say most seizures that I've seen are idiopathic, the phenobarbitol should keep them under control.

Good luck.

Comment

I am sorry to hear that you are having such problems
      This may be controversial, but I have personally seen something like it in several dogs. Mostly white or light colored fur, their parents put flea control on them after a bath. I know it says you can do it immediately, but after I told these people to wait at least 48 hours, it never happened again.
      Could it have been something topical that may have been used on your pet?

And also for your safety, and this is going to sound harsh, but I have worked at vets and seen it first hand. Do not get in harms way when your pet is having a seizure. They are incoherent. They have no control over muscles or movement or thought. If their mouth closes on a part of your body, you may not get it back. I've seen a womans stomach who was ripped to shreds by trying to comfort a seizing Brittany. The dog didn't mean it, the only prevention is to stay out of the way. I know it can be hard when it's your pet, but please be safe.

Good luck, I hope they find out what it is quickly

Comment

I've had several dogs with epilepsy, and one with narcolepsy as well as epilepsy. Many times seizure disorders are idiopathic, meaning the cause is not known.

In and of themselves seizures are usually not as serious as they appear. Some dogs may stop breathing during a seizure, but don't panic if that happens. When the oxygen levels in the brain get low enough the brain "turns off" which effectively stops the seizure and the dog begins to breath again.

What you need to be watchful of are cluster seizures or status epilepticus. Cluster seizures are just what the name implies; seizures that happen in a cluster, close together. Status epilepticus is a seizure that does not stop. That is an emergency. The body temperature rises, and if you don't get the seizure under control, the dog will eventually overheat because it can't cool itself by panting. Call your vet and prepare to transport as quickly as possible if a seizure doesn't stop in a few minutes. And do time it with a clock or watch. When you're watching a dog seize, a second seems to last a minute.

The best course of action when you see a seizure is to turn off anything like radios, television, noisy appliances. Turn off bright lights. Then observe from a safe distance until the seizure stops. The dog will often appear stuporous and may be exhausted. This is the resolution phase. Remain calm, keep things quiet, and allow the dog to get his bearings. Call your vet for further advice.

If possible, try to determine if there's a trigger. Certain noises can be triggers. I've had a dog that would seize if she heard a lawn mower or motorcycle close at hand. I've had a couple of grooming clients that seized if you used the HV to dry them. Sometimes flashing lights can trigger seizures. And stress is a biggie.

I know it's alarming and worrisome, but try to remain calm. If your dog has idiopathic seizures they can often be controlled by medication. If the phenobarb doesn't do the trick there are other medications to try. I was lucky that none of my dogs required medications, but if it would have been necessary, I certainly would have given them a try.

Comment

My post may not be what you want to read, but this is from my own experience with my boxer and from 20 yrs. RVT experience. Seizures that come on this late in life (10 yrs.) and with such frequency are usually the result of a brain lesion. We gave our boxer pheno. and it did give us 6 weeks with him seizure-free. So my suggestion would be to give the pheno as long as it works and love him with all your heart.
          Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

Yes, that is exactly what I am afraid of. I think my vet suspects this as well but of course cannot advise without the proper tests. We are certainly loving him with everything we have and will do what is best for him and not us

Comment

canine seizures

Hi , I have a 15 year old min. poodle who started having seizures about two years ago. Blood tests revealed a thyroid condition and the vet said that could cause seizures. She was put on meds and hasn't had a seizure since. I know what you are going through and wish you the best. Shearjoy

Comment

I can totally relate!

My little Poodle mix Teenie was diagnosed with epilepsy about 2 years ago. I witnessed several seizures over the course of a few weeks, each time taking her to my vet at that time, with them telling me that they could do nothing for her b/c her seizures weren't happening that often. I asked them how do I know that she isn't having them when I'm not home, they said I would see "evidence" of a seizure. Well after the ones I did observe, she never left any "evidence!" So probably not even a week after that, she had a seizure while sitting on the back of the couch behind me and it lasted 12 minutes long (her longest one at that point). I decided to take her to my current vet (which I have known a long time anyway), and they put her on pheno. She has been on it ever since, and not had any more problems.

It's hard seeing your baby that you love so much going through that. I know how you feel, and I pray for your baby too!

Comment

Working...
                X