Quick stop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick stop

Was just wondering if there was a homemade recipe for quick stop/styptic powder (sp?) that works well. Anyone know of any? I know I do not use it much at all, but wanted to see if there was some I could make. Thanks in advance! :-) <3

I know flour or corn starch will work if you're in a pinch. I've also heard that a piece of bread with some pressure will work as well, but never have used it personally.

Comment

cornstarch
      Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
      "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks guys, should I mix the cornstarch with anything? Or should I just keep it separate?

Comment

Cornstarch works. I was taught by a lady who had been breeding/showing dogs for 40 years if you use flour it needs to be burnt (never asked why, but it did work the day she taught me to do dewclaws on puppies)

I have also read on here that a bar of soap works... never tried it, I buy bidy wash, but I have always wanted to give it a try
          If you sweat the small stuff, all you have is small soggy stuff.....

Comment

I can tell you ive never had luck with soap!
            I had a huge leonbuger (sp)in the tub I quicked the nail and grabed the quickstop and fought the dog trying to get out of the tub and knocked the whole darn container into the water!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so mad but I couldnt used the quickstop because the whole thing got wet so I had to try soap and it didnt work very well.that dog bled like I cut off her leg! I had blood all over me. I was praying I didnt get pulled over driving home.I didnt think I could explain why I was covered in dog blood.

Comment

A bar of soap works.

Comment

The best homemade styptic powder is alum. You get it in your grocery store, where they have the pickling supplies, or sometimes in the baking aisle.

Comment

Styptic powder is not expensive, and really works the best and the easiest and stores well if kept dry. I would ask, why not just get a small bottle of styptic powder?

If you are a groomer, it should be standard equipment. It's simply professional to have it with you when you are trimming nails.

If you are not a groomer, you can probably get a small amount from your vet. Odds are the vet would be willing to put a small bit of powder into a pill bottle for you to use in the event of an accidental bleeding toenail.

Comment

We use turmeric in our shop. It works great, the dogs hate the taste so they don't lick it off and it adds a nice spicey scent in the air if we need to use it. Makes me hungry though. Look for it in the spice aisle, near Helly's alum.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks guys, I will try the Alum and Turmeric. :-) And yes, I am a groomer, and want to try something new. Thanks again! :-) <3

Comment

I love the liquid kind they have.Its quick stop brand I thnk but it is liquid It dries fast and its brown in color so it doesnt look gross like powder.

Comment

I understand the desire to want to try something else, but we get to the belief "using something made for pets vs not ".

If you are looking for something for clients- I buy these teeny tiny ziploc bags from Michaels (they are in the jewelry/bead section) they are about 1 inch by 1 inch. I put a pinch of quick stop in them and give to a client if I accidentally quick a nail.

If a clients calls you after you leave then suggesting items they have on hand (flour is the easiest and clogs fast).

Comment

Working...
                          X