Legal Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal Question

If you advertise that part of the groom price will go to some charity. Or you do free grooms for a rescue group does that money you collect or the money you didn't get go towards a tax credit?

Not all donations are tax deductible. This is a question for your personal accountant.

Comment

I would talk to your accountant about that. It would seem that you could get a tax credit, but the government changes tax laws all the time.

Comment

That's a question for an accountant or tax attorney.

Comment

That's a question for an accountant to be safe. I do some grooming for a local shelter and rescue group. The rescue group isn't a tax free organization, they don't take in dogs they use foster families that agree to take on the cost of the pet they are fostering they are more of a go between to help get dogs adopted. Very small time so they don't claim to be a charity. I charge the families that use me a reduced price but limit amount of times they can use me to prevent any fraud. I do receive receipts from the shelter whenever I groom one of their furry kids but they only use me if it's an emergency. My accountant does use those but it's a small amount. I also know that any amount of money that the shop donates to a charity is tax deductible. Be safe and check it out with a tax pro.

Good luck
          "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt,
          and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck
          www.wagmoresalon.com

Comment

I asked my accountant that exact question. He said that doing free grooms for charity (rescues and such) are not deductable. I dont know if that varies by state. I am in NH

He did seem to think there was some fancy way around that by keeping track of the cost of supplies and getting credit for that but it was to complicated for me.

Comment

wonder if you could use it as an advertising expense? Maybe you'd have to get a receipt from the organization stating it as advertising.

I would ask an accountant about using it as an EXPENSE instead of a charitable deduction.

Comment

I do free grooming for our local humane society and my accountant says that it is not deductable,........ I live in Ohio.

Happy Free Grooming

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Originally posted by neanea View Post
                  wonder if you could use it as an advertising expense? Maybe you'd have to get a receipt from the organization stating it as advertising.

I would ask an accountant about using it as an EXPENSE instead of a charitable deduction.
                  Thats what I was thinking.

Comment

Working...
                  X