Labernese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Labernese

Yep lab bernese mtn dog x , at least the stpoo got spared! Hope to never meet one, love mtn dogs, but labs tend to be ocd.
    ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

That's quite the mix. They must be pretty.

Comment

Oh dear. What's the goal here? Is it intentional? Maybe a bernie that doesn't drool?

Comment

Lab x Bernese. I actually had a foster litter of them earlier this year. I woke up July 4th morning to find a pregnant Lab had been abandoned in my front yard. Within an hour (before I could get her loaded in my truck and to the shelter) she started delivering puppies. 13 little black puppies that all looked like Labs except for a couple with white toes and chins, and a couple had some white on their chest. At 8 weeks, they just looked like big lab mixes, all short coated. They were all placed through a friend's rescue program. One of the adoptive owners did a DNA test and it was revealed they were Lab x Bernese Cross. Really, they just look like big Labs.

Comment

at one point, in canada, someone was intentionally breeding these for service dogs. Bad idea, I say, but I'm a purist

Comment

Originally posted by dirty hairy View Post
            Maybe a bernie that doesn't drool?
            I sure hope Sheilab can find it w/in her heart to leave that comment alone.

I actually boarded 2 at the kennel many years ago when they were just considered an accidental mutt, not designer. They were really nice dogs, and looked just like Swiss-n's foster puppies.
            Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

A Berner is supposed to be a dry-mouthed dog and isn't supposed to drool. You shouldn't have to mix them with a Lab to get that.

I personally can't think of a single reason to breed a Labernese on purpose. I'd bet it is the case of a fancy name being stuck on an oops litter, or the case of some idiot wondering what they would get. Knowledge of genetics would tell you that you will get solid color short coated dogs that look like Labs. Might as well just breed Labs.

If you wanted to make a Berner short coated, just go Swiss! Or at least, cross that Berner with a dog that has a tri-coat (Swissy, Aussie, Collie, etc) and keep the pretty colors.

Comment

Originally posted by dirty hairy View Post
                Oh dear. What's the goal here? Is it intentional? Maybe a bernie that doesn't drool?
                Hey, hey, hey berners that drool - who, where? My babies don't!! But I agree what's the goal, I would take a berner's personality hands down over the tend-to-be-hyper/ocd labs and just as friendly and good with kids as a lab- so I ask why???

Comment

Working...
                X