Ok here are the pics....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok here are the pics....

I know my legs and feet need work so any tips would be great!
    Attached Files

On the legs and feet, try to get them straighter when you dry the dog. It will give you a better finish to work on. Personally I would take the top of the head shorter, ears shorter and tail shorter. But that's just me! Nice job.
    What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

nice body

I would clean the underside just a bit more as well as the head and ears But in all a nice job
      Really

Comment

Thank you luvpups. I usually do do the tail and ears a but shorter but both of these requested to have them left long. As a rule of unless requested by the owner I don't have the tail hang lower than the top of the hocks and I keep the ears pretty much in line with the jaw. As far as the top of the head I find that I am nervous to make the top too short for fear that it will stick up. Do you shorten the head with a snap on or do recommend a way to do them nicely?
        Also, with the cream colored dog she has the very bulgey eyes and short snout so I wonder if I should be clippering under the eyes rather than using my thinning shears. I usually use the thinners for a more natural look but with the dogs with such messy eyes I wonder if this is best. Can you explain how you clip under the eyes I am worried to mess it up lol.

Thanks again

Comment

Thanks bow wow, that is another tough part for me is the underline. I feel like as I clip down the rib cage to under the belly I get an uneven finish and I try to leave a bit underneath to do the underline but it never seems to work out right. Any tips on how to do this?

Comment

A tip I got for legs- Brush up on the legs when drying – then when you get the hair between the toes take you shear and cut up at an angle then round the feet. That should set the length you want for the legs.

If anyone has any corrections please feel free.

Comment

She looks so cute and happy in the pic where her head is turned.

Comment

Almost all dogs of thay type that I do I use a snap on comb on the head. If you are unsure, start with your longest one and work your way shorter if you dont like the result. Honestly I can tell you I do a #1 or #2 on just about all of them. I start in front to the back, and down the sides of the face. Some i go in reverse on top of the head. I do one that I scissor and thinning shear, because he has all kinds of weird colics. I also clipper out under the eyes on most dogs too. I use a 10 blade and start in the corner and scoop down, thats all. With that, even when I go back in 4 weeks, it is all grown out and gross again!
                What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

Originally posted by PamperedPup View Post
                  am nervous to make the top too short for fear that it will stick up. Do you shorten the head with a snap on or do recommend a way to do them nicely?
                  Thanks again
                  I like to use a #1 snap-on comb. If it's a dog with thin hair, it's easier to use my Speed Feed with the 12mm attachment. I go from the occiput towards me, then down the sides of the face. I comb the bangs forward, then I get my curved shears and flip 'em so the curve is facing the dog's head, and go over each eye at a 45 degree angle. (to better clairify, when looking at your shears, if they were a mouth, they would be 'sad.') This helps when the hair grows out; the shorter hairs above the eye will support the longer hairs and the hair won't be completely in the dog's eye the next time you groom him. I flip 'em back over (happy mouth) so the curve is facing me to do between the eyes still at a 45. then I use my 26 tooth blenders for the rest. I go over the head again with the blenders, behind the ears and under the chin. I used to HATE doing drop coats until I got these babies! Hope this makes sense and helps you.

Comment

Thank you guys. Mamabear that does make sense. I think it sounds like the "devil" or 'snake' look on the Bichon face. It is so helpful to hear these tried and tested methods. I am always so nervous to mess something up....can you tell I haven't got my confidence yet lol. Keep the tips coming and thank you!

Comment

I love what you did with the faces, I think they look beautiful! I do what mammabear does on the heads, comb forward and scissor, keeps the hair out of the face. On the second dog,,, I think you did a good job on the feet, considering what you had to work with. What's that saying????sometimes ya just can't turn a sows ear into a silk purse, but she still looks pretty and I'm sure her owner was pleased.

Comment

I think that they look like they have difficult hair to scissor and you did a great job. I agree about the underline. Also, I think degreasing their heads may help a ton, if your not already doing it-it could help get the stringy out. They are very nice looking

Comment

I think that you did a great job

Comment

Working...
                          X