Health care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health care

This post is NOT for petsomething employes or groomers that recevie health insurance through their spouses. Do you independa\ent contractors, employees carrry health insurance policies? My health insurance costs $650.00 per month my friend has a basic policy that
    costs $370.00 per month. I have several friends that do not carry health insurance at all. Working with dogs is the best, but how much of an average groomers pay should go health insurance? And you can almost forget a 401k/ect. Petsomethings are looking better and better. My policy goes up 12% a year and my friends goes up 24.4% a year but
    our paychecks dont. Working with animals is a very rewarding but in my opion the grooming industury must come together. Store front rents only go up each year, the price of mobile units dont decrease, auto insurance and business insurance dont decrease.

I am self employed and self insured.. My husband is a stay at home dad. so no benefits there..

I first looked into a HSA, but if you talk to someone about the ROTH IRAs, you will find its a better route as you can use your money elsewhere if you dont need the medical.. It does take longer to build up the money - maybe a few years. You can put I believe up to $6,000 per year for a married couple.. We pay out of pocket for general care if its needed at all.. most times I can figure out whats wrong and treat it. I also shop for prices the best I can.. for example I use the dental school for our dental care.. its 1/3 the cost of a general dentist.

You also have the option to carry only catastrophic insurance.. The deductible start around $15,000 -20,000 but like I said if you have the roth thats maybe 3 years of savings. Those run fairly low as a monthly premium and you pocket the difference.

Not to get political but I wish congress would open up the free market with ins companies..I think it would drop the rates for regular visits as well as other procedures.. It has worked with cosmetic surgery and lasik. I dont know what my family will do if we are forced to pay for Obamacare.. Its unaffordable to us. I like my self insurance policy just fine

Comment

I have a very basic plan through Blue Cross that I pay $120 a month for. However, it doesn't cover squat. It's basically in case of an emergency, as it only covers $2000 or above, and I'd still pay the deductible, which I think it either $500 or $1000....can't remember. It doesn't cover office visits or anything, so luckily I don't have too many health issues. Doesn't cover my asthma meds, which are expensive.

When I've got more money put away I'd like to upgrade my plan.

I got denied for the smaller, individual health plans due to pre existing conditions, which were all grooming related! lol Asthma, bad elbows (had cortisone shots in both of them).

Comment

I have an individual policy for the family. It costs about 600 a month through Alliance Insurance. I pay the first 2000 on each family member (up to 4000 for the family) and then the policy kicks in. 2000-5000 they pay half, after that they pay the whole negotiated rate. It's cheaper to go in network. I actually used it this year having a disc in my neck replaced. If I didn't have insurance, it would have cost me about 32,000! As it is, I pay 5000. I could have a similar policy for my employees if they needed it and were willing to pay.

There's got to be a better way!

Comment

?

Yes, I spent a considerable amount for insurance for our family. I could get it cheaper by going w/an HMO instead of a PPO but there are personal reasons that I want that flexibility of seeing who I want.

Costco online sells insurance for business owners with at least 1 employee or individual insurance as well .. the price is age dependent ... younger you are, the cheaper it is.

Being a business owner/independent has a cost draw back but it also has so many benefits with the flexibility to work when you want, write off things you normally couldn't including your health insurance, make decisions about customers, pets, work week, hours, vacations, being laid off, etc.

I wouldn't do it any other way.

Comment

It would be nice if the grooming industry would get organized on this issue but I don't see that happening.

Although it makes me nervous, the best solution I could come up with was a high-deductible "catastrophic" hospitalization-only policy coupled with an HSA. $170 a month and a cut of my pay goes into the HSA every week to use towards expenses not covered by the policy.

I would love to have very comprehensive coverage but the cost of such coverage is prohibitive. I don't have any ongoing health issues right now so rather than paying out $650 a month I can save that almost-five hundred bucks to put in the HSA. I then have the money to pay the deductible if needed and have 100% coverage after the deductible is met.

Not perfect, but it isn't breaking me and won't break me if I get sick or injured.

Comment

Most insurance

plans are cost based on age. Since I'm in an older catagory the cost is exhorbitant for private insurance. Over 60 and you could be just about working to pay for insurance. So instead for now I'm just hoping and praying to be healthy - working so far.
              Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Pretty sure WAPPS already has something together like this. I am not sure if you need to be located in WI for it though

Comment

[QUOTE=SiberianLover;385587]I have a very basic plan through Blue Cross that I pay $120 a month for. However, it doesn't cover squat. It's basically in case of an emergency, as it only covers $2000 or above, and I'd still pay the deductible, which I think it either $500 or $1000....can't remember. It doesn't cover office visits or anything, so luckily I don't have too many health issues. Doesn't cover my asthma meds, which are expensive.QUOTE]

You may not realize it, but that plan that doesn't cover squat is capable of saving you a great deal of money. Why? How? Because you can find doctors that accept assignment from Blue Cross, and that means you pay Blue Cross rate, other than full fee.

Example; Let's say a procedure costs $100. But Blue Cross Rate for that procedure is $72. You pay $72, not $100.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post

You may not realize it, but that plan that doesn't cover squat is capable of saving you a great deal of money. Why? How? Because you can find doctors that accept assignment from Blue Cross, and that means you pay Blue Cross rate, other than full fee.

Example; Let's say a procedure costs $100. But Blue Cross Rate for that procedure is $72. You pay $72, not $100.
                    Hmm...didn't realize that. I just know that for me to go in for a prescription refill my office visit was $120, and BCBS wouldn't cover any of it. But...if anything major ever happens, I'll be okay.

Comment

Working...
                    X