Problem with my hubby's BichyPOo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with my hubby's BichyPOo

CC is 16 months old, 3.5-4 pounds, Bichon and Poodle mix. She adores my hubby like Toto does me and is his shadow. UNLESS her dam is here. If she is around her dam she suckles. There is no milk, but she acts like a 1 year old baby you are trying to take off a bottle! She gets mad and keeps going back to suckle some more.

I need to know how to stop this. We try to keep them apart, and it doesn't seem to upset her mom, but it SURE upsets me as I know it is not normal behavior.....

ANYONE have ANY idea what I can do about this? I mean, its really annoying.
    <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Aversion training!!!

Make mom's teets taste bad you can try a little lemon juice or maybe even some bitter apple. Anything to give the pup a bad taste in her mouth when she tries. She'll quickly learn it's not something she wants to do anymore.

Other than that, if mom doesn't train her not to do it, there's not much else to be done, IMO

Comment

Just keep correcting her, you have to make it unpleasant to do. If she isn't obedience trained then train her to stay, no matter the distraction she must stay where she is put. Put a little tab on her collar and snap (gently!) back to where she was placed. Once she stays even when "mom" is around it shouldn't be a problem.
      ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Can you use Bitter Yuck on mom's nipples? Just a thought...
        Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
        George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

Have you tried bitter apple or similar deterrent on mom's nipples?
          I have had kittens that would do that, but luckily not dogs.
          Deidre

Comment

Ya know, bitter apple never once crossed my mind for some reason....I have not ever had a situation where I could not make a pup stop doing something....its kinda funny cause she is so tiny, but at the same point, its absurd!
            <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

My friend's poodle was doing the same thing with his mom and actually causing sores. She put a T shirt on mom and sprayed it with bitter apple, it stopped the problem.

Comment

Working...
              X