looking for ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for ideas

the local ymca is having a healthy kids day where business's set up booths and have something for the kids to do. the activities are supposed to be interactive, not crafts, the idea she gave was having the kids brush stuffed dogs or something like that.

it would be good if it could relate to the kids and keeping healthy. another business does a bean bag toss, it does not need to be super complex. i think the age group will vary.

they would like me to bring my dog so it could involve him, i have a very mellow and friendly boxer.

any ideas? what would kids find entertaining?

I like the brushing idea. youll need few different stuffed dogs (cats too) and brushes so you can involve several kids. and give them something to take home. thats the best. stickers and suckers for the 2 legged kids, treats for their 4 legged friends. I use to volunteer at my kids elementary school for career day. the first time I brought most of my tools and had a big demo planned. bust. they just wanted to see the dog, but they did ask questions and tell a lot of stories. in the years that followed I got creative, took 2 completely different cockapoos, took 2 poodles- one groomed, one not- to show before and after, that was probably the best, and one year I took a cat too. my kids are older now so I dont get to that anymore- I'd like to take a cat in a lion cut or a colored poodle. it was pretty organized in the school and there were teachers in the rooms to keep the kids from getting too excited and out of hand. if you have someone who can lend you a hand that would be good. the kids will most likely be more interested in your dog, make sure you give him aplace he can get away if he needs a break. good luck, let us know how it goes.

Comment

I wonder if you could do something dog walking related. Talk about how it is great exercise for people and for dogs. Maybe you could help the kids take your dog for a little walk.

Comment

You could take outline drawings of a dog and get a bunch of random arts and crafts (such as glitter, sequins, cotton balls, pompoms, etc) and let the kids decorate there own "creative" dogs to take home.....
        or you could do a simple "guess how many dog treats are in the jar" game and the closet one wins a stuffed dog or something fun......and you could pass out a sucker to everyone who guesses or something. then no one is a loser.
        hmmmm, I will keep thinking and get back to ya
        Mandy, Birdie, Evie, Willie and The Woo
        Check out my Blog at doggydivasdish.com

Comment

thanks all good ideas keep them coming

i was thinking i should bring something small to give the kids, and i was thinking about a raffle for a bigger prize and maybe a gift cert. for my shop (if they don't have a pet they could give it to someone who does) i will have to check to see if thats ok to do.

thanks again

Comment

i like the idea mentioned above about bringing before and after dogs to show the kids, along with the brushing demo. Maybe think of something related to "it's healthy for you AND your dog to go on walks."

I know you said not craft stuff, but the glitter/decoration thing (with your name and contact info on it, of course) sounds like it would end up ridiculously cute. It'd be good to have something so adorable on the fridge with your name on it

Comment

At a few demos I have had handouts on "How to meet a dog" . Then working with the kids and your dog as to how to approach a dog out in public. Most of the kids loved it, they learned how to stay healthy and safe with other dogs. I had stickers with dogs on them for the kids that appproached and asked to pet the dog prior to touching my dog.

Another demo I did was what to do if a dog chases you....How to protect yourself if a dog comes after you..Lots of fun ways to show the kids what to do.. Will say the adults learned alot also.

Trish

Comment

Oops, I missed the part about no artsy stuff guess I should read the post better lol!
                Mandy, Birdie, Evie, Willie and The Woo
                Check out my Blog at doggydivasdish.com

Comment

YES!!!

Teach kids dog manners!!!

Perfect idea!!!!!

I took a guide-dog-in-training to the mall a few months ago and was absolutely APPALLED by how many kids AND adults touched the dog (and even tried to feed him!!!) without my permission.

I think this is the best idea so far! Teach people manners! Bring a really social dog that will love it, the kids will too, and they'll learn something useful.

Comment

YES!!!

Teach kids dog manners!!!

Perfect idea!!!!!

I took a guide-dog-in-training to the mall a few months ago and was absolutely APPALLED by how many kids AND adults touched the dog (and even tried to feed him!!!) without my permission.

I think this is the best idea so far! Teach people manners! Bring a really social dog that will love it, the kids will too, and they'll learn something useful.

Comment

ok i should include how to greet a dog, thats a good idea.

does anyone have specific things you would have a child do? or not do?

i am sure i can come up with a good list, but if you have anything i might forget.

then i am thinking of relating dog grooming to what people do, that a lot of it is the same. i want to come up with a activity/coloring page to hand out as well, and i think i will include a coupon for my shop on the bottom (then they can take it home and get the markers and glitter out)

Comment

kids ages

keep in mind you will have kids of all ages stopping to visit, so keep it simple for the little ones, stickers and or stamps, tattoos are fun. activity and fact sheets are good for the slightly older kids. dont pressure yourself too much, have fun. interaction is the best. dont focus to much on coloring, or even training. it sounds like the kids will be in and out so you may not get a session of any one thing going. I really like the manners and approach idea, youll be suprised how many adults are clueless to pet etiquette.

Comment

Working...
                        X