Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you handle this family member's dog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you handle this family member's dog?

My sister-in-law called my shop and left me a message that she wanted to know how much I would charge to groom her Chow.
    Little bit of history....this sister-in-law and I are not close, my husband's brother's wife. Ok so I'm beating around the bush..I am not crazy about her due to some of her moral decisions regarding her husband and children but that's another story. Also in the past she had another chow that I attempted to groom for her and it tried to eat me...bad dog, not at all socialized and the hair was in bad shape...she witnessed the dogs behavior and quickly left my shop with it very ticked off...not sure if it was at me cause I couldn't control the dog or because the dog was being an a$$ and she was emarassed. Anyways, so this is a different dog, male, not neutered, purchased to breed to the other chow, dog is at least two now.
    So her message says just wondering how much to do the dog and it should be easier to do than her other one, you know the "snippy" one (snippy my butt, that dog was out for blood) and he weighs about 75lbs and he should be ok for me but he is just too much for her to handle by herself anymore and she doesn't want to take him to the vet where she has to take the other dog because they knock her out.
    I don't even want to attempt this dog...there is not enough money in the world...I know it has never been professionally groomed so I can imagine the coat too. I have to call her back but what do I say...I can be civil and nice to her but I really don't want to do this dog....I can hear the family gossip flying now about what a bitch I am for not at least trying to do her dog...yes it is that kind of family...lucky me!!!

She is going to breed the one with the horrible temperment? WHat a nutcase. She might get eaten by the bitch after she has puppies! If you are not sure or uneasy about doing her Chow don't do it the dog will sense your apprehension and will probably be antsy. I recommend this to anyoen who has any fear of Chows or Rotties. They are dominant dogs and will lord it over you. If it's "too much" for ehr to handle I doubt you'd want to do it yourself. I'd pass or if you're "willing" to give it a try charge her the max!

Comment

no way

no how, dont risk it lie if you have to tell he your shoulder is hurt what ever, or that you dont do big hairy dogs anymore, I have rotties and would rather groom a unknown rottie over a chow anyday!!!!!! CAN YOU TELL THAT IM AFRAID OF THEM.......Sorry Dawn

Comment

no thanks

your family sounds like mine. cant please 'em. lots of gossip and back biting. and i'll bet they call you looking for pet advice, even though I tell them I'm a groomer not a vet, I cant help you with that ear infection, he needs medication, and god forbid you might not support them breeding their dogs, or recommend neutering................ sorry, i'm rambling.
        I would either tell her no, or give her an enormous price. that might scare her off, find out what the vet charges and add a $20.00 family fee. good luck

Comment

Tell her you're not taking any more big hairy dogs. I wouldn't even consider it! It would be worse if you tried it and something happened...then the family would REALLY be talking about you!

Comment

No way! I wouldn't do it. Just tell her that after her last experience with her "nippy" dog you have decided you don't groom Chow's anymore. Leave it at that Good Luck!
            Mandy, Birdie, Evie, Willie and The Woo
            Check out my Blog at doggydivasdish.com

Comment

Whew, that's awful!

Yeah, I might just say I'm really leery of Chows not, and I personally would not even considered such a large unneutered one! Tell her the vet will be the best place as they have extra people to hold, plus they have the option of sedation if he's unruly.

Maybe you can say you are taking only dogs done every month or two? I dunno - also, if she's saying the dog is too much for HER to handle, I would inform her that Chows are much less inclined to allow a STRANGER to handle them than their own owner, so he is almost guaranteed to be touchier about you.

No way would I do this dog. Too bad what the family says. Your choice is, unpleasant to horrible experience with dog OR same old **** with family. Hmmmm.....

Comment

I'd price her out or tell her I no longer do chows (the truth, for me). If she was my sister in law, I'd likely tell her I just didn't want her business, in order to maintain the status quo in the family.

Comment

[QUOTE=Debbiedogs;385345]
                  I would inform her that Chows are much less inclined to allow a STRANGER to handle them than their own owner, so he is almost guaranteed to be touchier about you.

Yep, Debbiedogs took the words right outta my mouth.
                  The last chow I did (about 15 years ago) was brought in by a girl who worked at the vets office. He wanted a piece of me in the worst way, called her to pick up immediately! When she got there she proceeded to tell me that she was afraid we wouldn't be able to do him and that he had attacked a little boy and almost got him in the juggler! I was livid! but somehow I kept my cool. The next day her boss (the vet) stopped in to tell me that she was furious that this girl would bring that dog into me without sedation and that they don't even do his nails without it. She told me to call her next time and she would come over and sedate him. I told her there would be no need for that because I would never do him again. She said... Better yet.
                  I no longer do chows period. I tell people, that they are very much one people dogs and are hard for strangers to handle. They are also hard to keep muzzles on and blah blah blah.
                  Most people are understanding and if their not... OH WELL.
                  Not worth any amount of money in my opinion!
                  Oh and by the way... The girl didnt work at the vets much longer after that. Go figure.

Comment

If she wasn't family what would you do in this situation?

Just treat her like a regular customer. Who cares what the family thinks.

Comment

OK, wait a minute. The vet wants to sedate the dog and she wants you to try to do it? The owner can't handle it so she wants to possibly end your career? Um, NO.
                      "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                      People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

I am in the "Tell her you are afraid of chow now" camp. I would be very nice and polite and explain that you are just not comfortable with chows right now and that dogs can sense this in a person. If the groomer isn't comfortable then the dog won't be either and this can bring out aggression issues.

If you know any groomers in your area who are good with more difficult dogs, refer her to them.

Comment

"Hello Ms Blah, since being terrorized by your other chow I no longer groom that breed, so sorry I couldn't help you out, have a nice day."

Comment

Family or not you need to be upfront with her I would simply state I'm sorry after the last chow you attempted to groom for her I am compelled to advise taking this one to the vet also for grooming. if you had come to me when the dog was just a puppy I would have been more apt to attempt grooming him/her but I'm sorry I do not groom chows if they have had no professional grooming experience after 8 months old.

Comment

I dont even "touch" a chow or akita unless weve had at least 2 meet and greets with the owner present.and if the vwet will sedate her you have you answer.NO WAY JOSE!!! ASK HER IF YOU CAN TALK WITH THE VET about the reason they sedate her.

Comment

Working...
                              X