How's my work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's my work?

Ok, here is a poodle that I did 2 weeks ago. I was very proud of it! What do you think of a 2 month old groomer?
    Attached Files

i think you're doing well. As long as you are making sure to tell your clients that you are new to this and still learning,and that you are keen to practice and improve......well done ,you're on your way !

Comment

Look pretty good, I remember some of my first (hack) grooming jobs, they didn't look as good as yours. Keep practicing and never stop educating yourself with techniques and products, theres always great stuff to learn. Enjoy your new career!

Comment

I am very upfront that I am a beginner. I am currently doing free grooms until I get my certification from AADG and a business license to work out of the home. I already have 4 clients that are waiting for me to get "up and running" to book their next paying appt! I'm happy!

Comment

Hey! They look good! I would try to get the face a little cleaner next time, I see some goat hairs in the pic! Also, learning how to do a really nice, straightening, fluff dry job will help a LOT with getting the clip much smoother and a more balanced look overall. You're on your way! Congrats!
          There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

Your 2-month-old did that!?!?!?!?!

LOL, very nice for such a new groomer. Keep having fun.

Comment

Originally posted by MeganDavids View Post
              I already have 4 clients that are waiting for me to get "up and running" to book their next paying appt! I'm happy!
              And you should be happy! You are off to a great start, just practice, practice is all that you can do! Good luck to you!
              Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
              www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

ok..let me see. You are coming along but definitely not shop quality yet. I know you know that

Some helpful hints that I can give.. First off..the face looks pretty roughs. Faces are the hardest part! They never hold still and you have to get around those eyes. And yet, the face makes the dog. Ugh. Are you using your clippers on the face in both directions? You do have to be careful going in reverse, but it does a much better job. If you are to afraid to go in reverse around the eyes, then start practicing just around the lips. Hold that upper lip up a bit so you can get a clean shave with no sticky outties on the bottom lip, then do the same with the top.

Your body actually looks passable, but those legs need work. It looks like the hair is still curly. Are you blowdrying and brushing the hair nice and straight as you dry? Getting the hair nice and straight will make a huge difference. You don't want any wave or curl really showing at all before you start scissoring. When it is nice and straight you can scissor around the leg for a more even cut.

Hope this gives you a couple specifics to work on. keep going and have fun!!!!

Comment

She looks adorable. I love the pink bows.

Comment

I think fluff drying will improve the groom. Proper fluff drying is super important. If you don't have a good dryer, save for one.

Without a good fluff dry, no matter how good at scissoring the groom will still not look at good as someone who has mediocre scissoring skills but good fluff drying skills.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p1e View Post
                      I think fluff drying will improve the groom. Proper fluff drying is super important. If you don't have a good dryer, save for one.

Without a good fluff dry, no matter how good at scissoring the groom will still not look at good as someone who has mediocre scissoring skills but good fluff drying skills.
                      Exactly and it isn't as likely to grow out as evenly too.
                      Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the Board Help Talk Forum. Thanks for coming to our community a part of PetGroomer.com https://www.petgroomer.com.

Comment

Thank you all for the great advise. I do have a HV dryer, but this dog wasn't putting up with it, so it was all done with a regular hand held dryer.

Comment

try a Happy Hoodie It has made the world of a difference.

Comment

not too bad! The key is developing an eye for all the "sticky outs" in the finishing work, and that just takes time! Posting pic for critiquing is great! keep it up!

Comment

cute

I think for your time in so far, looks good. if she wasn't tolerating the drying, you can only do so much to make a perfect groom. I personally cater to each dog differently and do what's right for the dog. So if a hand held dryer is all that you could manage without scaring her or causing unnecessary anxiety than the groom is perfect.

I am mobile so don't use a stand dryer, but when I worked in a shop having a nice stand dryer is the best. I have an Oster stand for fluffing, and it was pretty quiet and just warm enough to keep those little one's from getting too cold.

Comment

Working...
                              X