Thinking of getting a standard poodle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of getting a standard poodle

I have been thinking about getting a standard poodle and I came across a blue female that is being re homed. She is a show prospect and was pick of the litter. I would have her spayed though, as I am not interested in showing her. Her Dam is a Dassin poodle and the Sire is Grandeur. This will be my first poodle (have always had cockers). Any advice would be appreciated, or any input on the health of those lines. Plus I just wanted to share my excitement at possible getting a standard poodle!

I know nothing abouut st poo's, except hope it works out! Enjoy her.
    ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

WOW, show prospect AND pick of the litter? I'm surprised the breeder didn't take her back. Why is she being rehomed?

You will love having a standard! They do get very attached to their people, so be prepared to have her under your feet ALLLLL the time CONGRATS!

Comment

Bloat and HD.

Read up on both.

Comment

http://offa.org/results.html?all=dassin

there's quite a few in the ofa database.Check them out. I don't know a lot of specifics about the Dassin line myself.

Comment

Originally posted by neanea View Post
            WOW, show prospect AND pick of the litter? I'm surprised the breeder didn't take her back. Why is she being rehomed?

You will love having a standard! They do get very attached to their people, so be prepared to have her under your feet ALLLLL the time CONGRATS!
            That was the first thing I thought of too, why are they rehoming her? How old is she? Personally I know nothing about poodles, but everyone who has one is gaga over it lol Good luck with the poodle hunt!

Comment

You said a show prospect? and she's being rehomed. There could be a lot of reasons for the rehoming. Maybe she was only a prospect and didn't turn out quite what the breeder expected or wanted. Or maybe they are just saying that. Who knows. As long as she has a clean bill of health and GOOD temperament I personally would take her.

The Dassin bloodline produced some of the top winning and top producing Standards in this country. Some did go over to England and to Australia.

If you get her pedigree and go back into to it you should see of some of the greats, like Ch. Dassin Broadway Joe, Ch. Dassin Sum Buddy, and so many more.

The one who sticks out in my mind was the most beautiful blue I've ever seen and that was Marjorie. Just breathtaking. I saw her win at PCA and she received a standing ovation. If memory serves me right she was the dam of Sum Buddy.

As I recall the Dassin dogs did have good temperaments, but can't offer you much advice on health issues. Just beaware of that all purebred dogs have some sort of health issues that crop up.

Buddy Dickey started the Dassin line and his partner Joe Vernetti also bred under the Dassin kennel name. I think Joe just breeds minis now, doubt if he has any standards left after Buddy died.

Comment

She will be 2 in April. The woman that has her took 2 females from the same litter. She has an illness in the family that is long term and does not think that she can keep up with both dogs, so she is rehoming the one. So far, that is all I have found out. I have only talked to the breeder thus far, not the owner. Thanks for the link, I will check that out.

Comment

Good luck. My old boss raised Standards forever. Had lots of fun with them. They sure like "their people". I'm sure you'll have a blast. Also, check to see what kind of testing was done on parents. If the breeder is reputable they will have done testing. One of the big things I've seen grow more common recently in grooming dogs is sebacious adenidous ( I know I didn't spell that right). It is commonly referred to as SA. It is a skin disorder. It is hereditary.

Comment

WEll if you want a listing of the deseases that are more present in STd Poos, they are VWD (von wildebrand disease a hemopheliac blood disorder) SA(sebacious Adenitus(sp) in which hair follicles are affected and the dog develops a thickened skin like elephent skin) Various cardiac issues, CHD-canine hip dysplasia, Addisons,auto immune disorders, thyroid PRA, the list is pretty long. I also reocoomend the canine diversity page http://www.canine-genetics.com/ this website was created by Dr John Armstrong a geneticist who took his love for Poodles on a ride thru his genetic background. Very informative it has information on the older Dassin which is good to look at.

Comment

I don't know about those lines as I really a cat person. However, I will tell you that me, a total cat person, recently got a standard Poo puppy and he is the most precious thing. He is very smart and is doing superbly at obedience training. I have been impressed.

So if catwoman can get a Poo and love it, there is hope for everyone.

This is my first foray into dog grooming, never grooming a Poodle before, that's for sure!
                      Attached Files

Comment

waiting for picture approval....

I got another email from the breeder giving me the phone number of the owner, but I have not been able to get a hold of her yet. The breeder did mention that she was looking to get about $750 for her and that it would include her being spayed. Does this sound reasonable to you guys? She will be 2 in April.

Comment

Very reasonable,considering it covers spaying, and you get a fun fun poo! Catgroomer, have you considered creative grooming? love the spirals and color on your poo!
                          ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Originally posted by wolfcub81 View Post
                            waiting for picture approval....

I got another email from the breeder giving me the phone number of the owner, but I have not been able to get a hold of her yet. The breeder did mention that she was looking to get about $750 for her and that it would include her being spayed. Does this sound reasonable to you guys? She will be 2 in April.

Have you seen the dog in person yet? At 2 years old, I think it is kind of on the high side. I certainy think you can get a nice standard at a lower cost. I have come across many Standard rescues that have nice dogs for $300-$400, already spayed and all shots. I must say it is a great breed to own.
                            What does a dog do on it's day off?

Comment

As the owner (and breeder) of two standard poodles... I have some input however biased

Standards - that are carefully bred for nice temperament..are the most amazing dog ever. Of course they take alot of grooming but they are so wonderful...they truly will sour you to most other dogs. They are intuitive funny... and just wonderul.

yes they have health issues as to all breeds to name a few:

because they are a large dog: bloat can occur

SA (sebaceous adenitis) - this is not yet proven to be genetic. they suspect it may run in some lines however. this cannot be ruled out, it may occur anytime during a dogs life but, you can do skin punch biopsies on sire/dam to prove they do not CURRENTLY show signs of this disease....

vwd (von Willebrands disease) - there is a dna test for this...it takes two carriers to pass it down ie both sire and dam must be positive to pass it down.

PRA but more commonly found in the mini and toy and there are DNA tests for the mini and toy but NOt the standard on this disease...
                              hip dysplasia - get ofa fair or better done or 90 percent or above or the other non ofa test, ....

elbow dysplasia - again...ofa normal or not most breeders do NOT test for this...

neonatal encephalopathy - most die at a young age and there is a DNA test for this
                              day blindness

SEIZURES are big big big in poodles. There is no test for dna wise.. or for sire/dam

they are prone to bad teeth ... digestive issues... and being long eared... fungus good food and proper maintenance has alot to do with this...

diabetes

cushings and addisons -- the ony test is sod pottasium ratio followed later by ACTH however vets will not test ACTH unless a dogs sod/pott ratio is off and....it rarely goes off unless the dog is in addisons crisis and this.... is not that often soooo dogs can be struck with this and have pups on the ground there is simply no way to kow

that said. most lines have problems reported.... MOST and any body who tells you their lines have not had serious problems is pulling the old leg....

what you really want to look for is the last 3 generations..what happened if anybody knows or will bother to report/tell. the pedigree database is helpful but the bottom line is...allw e can to is test sire dam..try to get puppy buyers to keep us informed and then be willing to TALK to others (fat chance in alot of circles)...

I have nothing to say about the lines other than thsi: remember ...back in the day...akc show dogs used bottle necked sires ie many many many puppies so numbers can be skewed ie..you may see an addisons dog..but in HOW MANY pups produced by that dog. did the dog produced 150 pups in his time? oh yes its possible if he was a westminster winner ...you bet ...if he lived 10 plus years...oh yea.....and you can bet over time some of those puppies had something wrong... thats life.

so... i would talk to the owner, find out what tests were completed on sire and dam..ask to see the certs (not everybody sends them IN to ofa..it costs extra money)... ask to see recent CERF on eyes...of sire/dam...SA punch... sod/pott tests... vwd clearance (thru parentage being clear or grandparents being clear or thru parents dna test)... ask for hip results..and callit good

750 is ENIRELY a DECENT price...2 years old is still young and this dog is fully trained.??? if so...then its a good price. if she is not trained???? NO not a good price. 500..maybe. I just had to rehome a 7 month old b/c of a divorce he came back to me per my contract... he was 1000 first sale. second time around i dropped him to 500 already neutered b/c I will not just give hima way...i wanted a committed home. he was trained..they got a steal. but he's not hampion sired etc either..i he ws champin sired you bet he'd have been 750....

so thats my input. it takes a LOT of money to properly breed and raise dogs..and when we sell them we get alot of money for them because of that. i had to do all that plus all the ood etc... I had five puppies still with me till almost five months of age thats alot of food and vaccines etc heck ya... and I did more tests too than many breeders do... so... that costs alot... i took alot of time and energy screening homes etc... time is money... so we do chargee...so this person who bought the dog may very well have paid a LOT LOT LOT more than 750 you never know...maybe just trying to recoup some. they are expensive dogs to own especially if yo uarent a groomer

I just helped hook up a lady who wanted a puppy from me (i have none)... with another breeder who had to rehome a 9 month old ( i have no idea why..I dont even know the breeder only "of" her) ..and that puppy was 950 bucks...dropped down from 1500 ..as a second sale..trained...champ sired.

yes..750 is reasonable I once paid 200 dollars for a 9 year old akita retired champion bitch! that was a looooong time ago....

Comment

Working...
                              X