Eyedrops Before You Bathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eyedrops Before You Bathe

Helly has mentioned putting eyedrops in the dogs eyes before you bathe them just in case the dog might be sensitive to the shampoo. I feel wierd about putting drops in any dogs eyes. Could they be sensitive to the drops? What brand of drops should you use? I know nothing about this topic so everyone, feel free to chime in. I'm not sure if I should or should not do this.
    www.gomobileandsucceed.com
    http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Protective eye drops are sterile, ophthalmic grade mineral oil. I have never heard of a dog reacting to them. The only precaution you should need to take is never touch the tip of the dropper to any part of the dog, as this could lead to contamination.

Comment

The drop is basically steril mineral oil, vets use it prior to operating. It is a safety issue, the drops are harmless and protect the eyes, especially from flea shampoo. If you are not using them you should be, you can order it from any supply magizine.

Comment

It is policy in my shop to put eyedrops BEFORE and AFTER the bath. If the bottle should touch the eye, we throw it away.

Comment

So like Bosch and Laum (sp) from CVS would work?????
          If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

I've used them a couple of times, but every time the areas around the dogs eyes became really greasey and stayed that way even after the bath. I believe I only put 1-2 drops in each eye. I'll have to try it again because I do worry about shampoo getting in their eyes.

Comment

You could just buy mineral oil and an eye dropper.

Comment

Thank you everybody. I will get some as soon as I can.
                www.gomobileandsucceed.com
                http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Maggy View Post
                  I've used them a couple of times, but every time the areas around the dogs eyes became really greasey and stayed that way even after the bath. I believe I only put 1-2 drops in each eye. I'll have to try it again because I do worry about shampoo getting in their eyes.

I've had the same problem with the eye area becoming greasy. I usually just use a drop.

Comment

Don't throw away the bottle of eye drops!!!

I have been using safe-eye from petedge. probably not the best to buy, but the only one brand I have been using.

BUT if i were to touch a dog with the dropper tip or drop the bottle, I would simply clean off the tip and then mark the bottle to use for feet instead of eyes.

You know when people complain their dogs pads are too rough and dry, well I use the safe eye stuff to help moisturize the pads. It is mineral oil and Vit E as well, and I have noticed that if you use it pre-bath and massage the pads pretty good, then bathe the dogs, I haven't had any problems and it's better than throwing away the eye drops.

Comment

I've never had a problem with the eye area looking greasy from the eye drops. But I'm careful to wash the area with a soapy wash cloth, too. And rinse really well.

Comment

eye drops?

Back in the dark ages when I still used flea shampoos and dips I used the eye drops. Always left eye area greasy.
                        Now I use capstar for fleas (rarely see any).
                        I use a recirculating bathing system, any shampoo is so diluted you can wash their face and ears thoroughly and not worry about corneal irritation.
                        If you aren't going to use a recirc system, just use a tearless shampoo on the faces(canine tearless, not human tearless).
                        Deidre

Comment

I had never thought of that Crystal. Definitely makes sense. I will try it for sure. Tks for the advice.

Comment

I've heard that even a so-called tearless shampoo can irritate eyes. Why take the chance? Also- I've been using drops for years and have never had a problem with greasiness on the face. I wonder why some of you have.
                            The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit. ~Nelson Henderson

Comment

Yes, even the so called tearless shampoos can cause irritation in sensitive individuals, especially dogs with keratoconjunctivitis sica; dry eye.

People are not always aware that their pet is developing dry eye. Some don't bother to have the vet check it out when they do notice something might not be quite right. Often people assume that the goopy stuff in the dog's eyes are caused by allergies, when the real cause is dry eye. And if they don't know, they can't tell you. As groomers we don't have the necessary test strips to diagnose the problem, nor are we allowed to do it, even if we did have the strips.

Hyperdilution is no guarantee, either. I once splashed a hyperdiluted chemical in my eyes, immediately flushed them for 10 minutes, and decided to make a trip to the ER, just to be safe, even though my eyes felt fine. It's a good thing I did. It took 4 liters of saline to bring the pH level of my eyes down to a safe level. If I had gone on the theory that my eyes didn't feel irritated so they must be ok, I'd be waiting for a cornea transplant.

Comment

Working...
                              X