Anyone glue ears?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone glue ears?

A client of mine got another dog, a little wire fox terrier. She called me and asked if I would glue the ears for them. Anyway I told her to go back to the breeder or a vet, but she said the breeder was to far away and thought that groomers would perform this service.
    I don't do it, I have never even seen it done, but now I am curious. Beside the breeder, who else does perform this service and how do they do it? Do vets do it? How old is the dog when they do it, and does it hurt them?

I'd imagine breeder or vets. I too am totally clueless on it and are interested. I've seen a few collie puppies with it and wondered if it hurts. They must do it fairly early since the puppies I saw were around 8-12 weeks and already had it done. I'd think it's less painful though than ear cropping or tail docking though.

Comment

I have never heard of this!! But I googled it and found some pretty informative step by step instructions with pictures.

http://serendipityairedales.tripod.com/setears.html

Comment

If you KNOW where on the breed do it otherwise leave it alone, and have a disclaimer signed first. We're groomers not breed wardens. Liabilty would be my concern, I have glued ears for people that I know, made them get a "template" from the breeder,never seemed to bother the dog,it's just water soluble. I did use ear glue, BUT wouldn't do it again, taping ears is aother thing, I'll do it on my breed only.
        ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Vets don't know how to do this unless thye know the breed specifically. If she had talked to the breeder I would lay bets the breeder told her some groomers migh tknow how to do it. My mum used to breed Bulldogs and she had to glue some ears to ge tthe rose shape that was always fun the puppies loved the taste of glue! They also loved wood & sheetrock but those are other stories! Tell the woman to get the breeder to send her very specific details and photos so she / you can try but no guarantees!

Comment

Originally posted by ashk36 View Post
            I have never heard of this!! But I googled it and found some pretty informative step by step instructions with pictures.

http://serendipityairedales.tripod.com/setears.html
            Wow...That is interesting how they glue airedales. I didn't know that it was even done on them or wire fox terriers. I still would not try it without experience, too risky.

Comment

I glue GSD ears...but that's a whole 'nother fashion statement. I use foam pipe insulation and skin bond.
              Attached Files
              "The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind"-Theodorus Gaza

Comment

I use to raise Aussies, and glued the ears at times, but I have seen when ears are glued and cause sores where the glue is. I would be very careful about getting into doing something like this because of the possibility of causing sores on the ears. You don't know how an owner might react to something like this happening, although it generally will heal up fine.

Comment

Eyelash Glue

works well also. Bred chihuahuas for many years and would use eyelash glue. does not normally irrate the skin and wears away after a week or two...long enough for ears to stand up...no problems

Comment

We used to groom two wire fox pups who had 1/2 dime glued on the tip of each ear, to have it fold properly. They "came that way" so I have never done it myself. I would have her sign a release and get instructions from the breeder, IF I was going to attempt it.

I don't know what they used, but those coins where on there solid until those pups were almost 2 years old.

Comment

Gluing

I did it to my Aussie for a short time, but just read up on it. I would not do it for someone else's dog, personally.

Comment

not a big fan

If a dogs ear set is good it's easy and may have the desired effect but you really have to know that. Gluing ears that are too wide set will do nothing anyway.
                        There needs to be a little hair for the glue to stick to. Depending on the breed where you place the ear can be different from dog to dog. You glue the tip of the ear and the spot on the forehead and let it set a bit before you attach the 2 spots together.
                        Most dogs hate it and shake or scratch it off.
                        It is done mostly during teething when broken ears tend to stand up so it helps to keep them down. Often it is more work than worth. Pinching the fold regularly can have the same effect. Sometimes.
                        It can leave a big mess too. I always marvel at breeders that give all this advice to people who have no knowledge or experience in a breed making it all sound so simple...
                        like hand stripping. hahahahahahaha- Can't tell you how many times I have heard that the breeder of a wire haired dog will tell the new owner they can do it themselves. Have to do it themselves, since there is no one else to do it for them and the breeder is a thousand miles away...

Comment

I have aussies and totally prefer taping to glueing....may not look as pretty but I have seen some pretty bad places left by glue on a dog when not done properly. At least with tape it comes off pretty easily if the puppy is in contact with another and play too rough the tape just pulls off and you may loose a little hair, think pulling a bandaid off of your skin but imagine that bandaid glued to you skin and someone ripping it off...ouch. Lots of people glue and that's fine but I just like tape better. But back to the original question, I would have someone that is experience show you how to do it and then if you decide to do it in the future for people have them sign a waiver saying that you are not responsible for any injury or th eend result...sometimes no amount of taping or glue works if it is just not ment to be....had a friend with a dobie that after months of trying with several different methods to get that ear to stand it never did.

Comment

[QUOTE=aussiecrazy;384469]I have aussies and totally prefer taping to glueing....may not look as pretty but I have seen some pretty bad places left by glue on a dog when not done properly. At least with tape it comes off pretty easily if the puppy is in contact with another and play too rough the tape just pulls off and you may loose a little hair, think pulling a bandaid off of your skin but imagine that bandaid glued to you skin and someone ripping it off...ouch. QUOTE]

I feel just the opposite (not to say that you're not entitled to your opinion!). I've seen some disgusting messes under tape. Raw oozing sores sometimes ulcerated down to the cartilidge. Ears hairless due to repetitive tape removal, etc. I also find that if there's another dog in the household, they're inevitibly attracted to those taped ears and you know how that turns out! When I glue, I wash, disinfect, and shave the interior of the ear and then apply Skin Bond, which is a medical skin adhesive. The foam is cut to fit the ear without blocking the air flow into the canal. Puppy's off the table in under 10 min. and it holds until it falls out on it's own (a few weeks). I just repeat until it's successful. The support foam is usually cut smaller and smaller until it's just a thin strip and then gone.
                            "The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind"-Theodorus Gaza

Comment

I have been known to wrap a few Bouvier ears in my time, with tampons, dixie cups and surgical tape. Never glue though.

Comment

Working...
                              X