Client called today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Client called today

I groom her two SCWT every 8 weeks. I did one on Monday, have her second this coming Monday. Well, she called today because Cooper has something wrong with his back end. He's been chewing himself raw. She wanted to know if I did his anal glands. I told her honestly, I know I always check them but couldn't remember if I had gotten anything out of them. Then she asked if I used the same shampoo, which I had. Same bottle too. She always wants them bathed in Oatmeal shampoo and I use the Show Seasons. Have been for a year now without an issue. She said she had to take him to the vet today because he was driving himself crazy and it cost her $75 which makes me feel terrible because she just lost her job and is currently unemployed. I felt so helpless unable to give her any answers, but it seems the trip to the vet they told her it was most likely something I had used on him. I assured her that I hadn't used anything on him I don't normally use, but I said a dog can develop an allergy at any time. I've had a migraine most of the day so I didn't get her earlier message and I think she was a bit upset that I had not gotten back to her. I explained I had been in bed most of the day because of my head. Plus Saturdays are my days off and I'm not always quick to grab the phone on these days since I'm usually doing something with my family. I don't think she blames me for anything. She told me on Monday even if one of her dogs ever got injured she'd never blame me because she knows how gentle I am with them. They both have some "issues" and she says I'm the only person besides her mom she trusts with her dogs 100%. So I don't think she's really angry with me as much as frustrated by the whole thing. I know the stress of being unemployed has got to be adding to this. I had actually considered giving her a gift certificate for grooming in the future to help her out. I know how tough it was when DH was out of work and she's single. I hope she's getting unemployment, but I didn't feel it was my place to ask.
    Is there anything else I can do to try to help her with this situation? She still wants me to come on Monday to do her other one. I told her if I thought of anything I would call her. We use the same vet, so I don't know if I should call them just to let them know what products I used? Any help would be great.
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Unless the vet tells you personally or puts it in writing that it was your actions that caused the pet's distress, I would not lose sleep over it. It's something I had to learn the hard way. Even the nicest people will do some underhanded things (like shame you into paying the vet bill) when money is tight.
    "With God's help, all things are possible!"
    Laura Lee Ray
    I am kats_melody on eGroomer. Follow my Twitter tweets - @ZOOMGROOM on Twitter.com

Comment

Get her to bring the dog, when you do the other one... that way YOU can look and see if you see anything. We've had dogs who were itching, go to the vet, and the vet can't find anything, and wants to run tests...yadda, yadda, yadda... and then we take a look, and find lice, or a hot spot, or something else...

Comment

Since she hasn't asked you to pay for vet bill, I doubt she is trying to "pull anything" on you. If this were my client I would either offer to pay half (or maybe even all) the vet bill or give a discounted grooming or a freebie when you do the other dog on Monday.

You may not have had anything to do w/this dogs irritation, BUT since it started so soon after the grooming there sure is that possibility. I would rather loose a little money or labor now than risk loosing a good client by not at least making the offer. I would also either have her speak to the vet or you speak w/him before this dogs next grooming and get suggestions on what to use on him to help keep this irritation from happening again (if it was indeed caused by you).

Doesn't it just tear you up when these things happen? I always obsessively replay the grooming in my mind to try to figure out what I may have done wrong or different that could have caused this. Did I rinse properly? Was the water too hot? Did I check glands or possibly bruise them, did I get over zealous w/the brush?????........etc etc etc...............makes my head hurt.....lol

Good luck w/whatever you decide!
        SheilaB from SC

Comment

If you want to help her out by grooming a dog for free, that's fine, but I wouldn't look at this itching issue any differently from a person who has a job/money. If you require something in writing stating you caused the itching for everyone else, then get it from this person. She doesn't need special treatment in that regard.

Comment

I agree with the others, hes a dog anything could be making him itch,My dog did that once when I put carpet fresh on the rug , it took me a month to figure out what it was.sometimes they just get itchy,who knows ? I think people will say anything to save a buck nice or not.and they also think business owner=deep pockets.

Comment

Nice of the vet to throw you under the bus. Most vets know nothing about what we do, but are more than willing to blame us for whatever the issue is. As others here have said, lots of things can cause an itch. If it was something you used, it probably would have started within 24 hrs. If you offer a free or reduced service, it will appear you are taking responsibility for the problem and admitting you were in the wrong. If you want to help her due to her financial difficulties, make sure it is presented in such a way as to be completely separated from this incident.

Comment

Well apparently the vet now feels it was because the anal glands were full. Now I usually check, I don't express automatically. Seems the vet feels this is my job and my responsibility and should have done it. I told her I couldn't honestly remember what I felt when I checked him last Monday, but had it been unusual I would have said something to her. I always scrub under the tail with straight shampoo and it's just habit to check the glands while I'm at it. I called the vet and told them what shampoo I had used and that I had not used anything new. So I guess they are thinking it was just full anal glands that caused him to chew up his back end. I'll see tomorrow for myself I guess.

Comment

Since you used straight shampoo, was it possible it just didn't get rinsed all the way? That could happen to any of us, truly. You know how shampoo left in our own hair itches!!! Feel the dog's rear to see if there is any residue. Fun fun, tee hee.

The other thought I had was somewhere on this website I learned that using oatmeal "every" can actually make dogs itchy, but I think the jury is still out on that.

Good luck, and I agree, nice of the vet to throw you under the bus like that.

Tammy in Utah
                  Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Yes, I've tried to tell the owner that oatmeal can be very drying, but she insists it be used on both of them each time. They are on an 8 week schedule so at least it's not THAT often.

Comment

Originally posted by mylady View Post
                      Well apparently the vet now feels it was because the anal glands were full. Now I usually check, I don't express automatically. Seems the vet feels this is my job and my responsibility and should have done it.
                      Seems different vets have different opinions. My vet does not want me messing around with the anal glands, PERIOD. If they need to be expressed, he feels that the job is for a vet tech or a vet.

I agree that it wasn't a nice thing for the vet to throw you under the bus.
                      "With God's help, all things are possible!"
                      Laura Lee Ray
                      I am kats_melody on eGroomer. Follow my Twitter tweets - @ZOOMGROOM on Twitter.com

Comment

Originally posted by mylady View Post

Well apparently the vet now feels it was because the anal glands were full.
                        I don't buy it.

Even if you didn't bother to empty the glands the other day, the dog suddenly proceeds to eat himself alive with only a couple of days extra "stuff" in them?

Sounds like a bit of a stretch to me.

Comment

Could the dog by irritated by the sani clip. I have a schnoodle that I have to be very careful with because one time my #10 blade to to much for her.

Also, I don't think of an oatmeal shampoo as a "cleasing" shampoo but more of a "therapeutic" shampoo. I usually will bathe the dog in a Hypo shampoo and then follow it up with an oatmeal shampoo.

Comment

I meant to give an update last week. I went to groom her other SCWT and she actually apologized to me and told me she hoped I didn't think she blamed me for his problem. She told me when the vet suggested I must have used a new product she told her that I wouldn't have used anything differently without telling her first because I always tell her anything new or unusual at any groom. That made me feel good. I told her I called the vet just to give them the info on what I had used. She told me when she called she was just really stressed and frustrated over the situation and she was sorry if she sounded frazzled. She said, next to her mom, I'm the only one she trusts completely with her dogs. So I guess everything is fine, thankfully and I stressed for no reason. Oh well

Comment

Working...
                            X