feeling bad...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• feeling bad...

well i have been having chronic back pain lately(for years)i have a few disks in my lower back that are messed up,anyway i decided to let go all of my bigger dogs that I first took when I first opened about a year and a half ago and I feel terrible about it,some of the people are just really great and so are there dogs.has anyone ever had to do this?I really feel bad about it.

You are going to get flooded with responses about groomers who had to give up the heavy dogs due to back problems. Myself included. Go back and find Puppyfluffers post from a couple of weeks ago. She has lost her job & stopped grooming (hopefully only temporarily) due to back problems caused by big heavy dogs. You are not alone, many many of us only do small lightweight dogs because of back and shoulder problems. It is difficult to have to tell your big dog clients that they will have to find another groomer, especially when you love the owners and their dogs, but it is not worth risking your health and compromising your quality of life over it.

Comment

it's not my back, but my right wrist. i just gave up a cat client who i have been doing since i started grooming. i will remain friends with her, but found her a another cat groomer.
      Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
      "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

I've had 2 surgeries on my discs in my neck. The last was the day after Thanksgiving. There are some thing I will NEVER do. Lifting heavy dogs and shoveling snow are a couple of them. Just tell them it's doctor's orders...that's it.

Comment

I have to make some calls this afternoon telling clients I can no longer do their large pets. I hurt my back and shoulder earlier this week. Most of my big pets I am glad to be getting rid of, I have two however that I wish I could keep and was thinking about it, but can't take the risk of a worse injury, so I will be calling them as well. I will be telling the owners it is dr. orders to stay with smaller pets and I have a number a groomer that has agreed to take them on.
          Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

thanks,its nice to know im not the only one!!!

Comment

I don't do the big hairies anymore, I don't groom any dog over 35lbs.....

ps Did you see me waving at you on Thurs..how did the rig look passing by????

Comment

I'm cutting back too.

I am mobile and work by myself. I am not accepting any new large dogs (60 lbs + for me, right now anyway!). For the few large dogs I still do, if they are over that weight the owner must help me get them into the tub. I have 3 regulars like this and one every once in a while. For the say 50-60 lb range I only have 7 of those. The rest are all say 35lb or less (I do seem to have a gap in size there).

I personally enjoy big dogs, however, with my grooming set up and the wear/tear on my body I don't necessarily enjoy grooming them!

Try not to feel guilty, you have to take care of your body. It's easier said than done, because I have felt the same way in the past.

Comment

what if...

I don't know where you are at with your grooming business or if this is even possible for you, but what if you hired a groomer that could groom only your big dogs. That way you would only lose commission on them instead of the entire cost of the groom, you would still be able to see your customers, and you would know that they are in good hands...just a thought...but I know I have read about lots of groomers having to give up all of their large dogs, so you are definitely not alone!

Comment

Originally posted by baddog View Post
                    I don't do the big hairies anymore, I don't groom any dog over 35lbs.....

ps Did you see me waving at you on Thurs..how did the rig look passing by????
                    hey baddog,yes i saw you.your rig is awesome!!!!!im jelous

Comment

Large dogs

I am mobile and had decided not to do large dogs because of the same issues... but I get a lot of calls for them... and decided recently to really ask a lot of questions first to see if maybe I can add a few. So far I have to say I have started to book some and of all of the large dogs I have decided to book (besides the Labradoole- took to much time to dry) I love them!!! But I do have a hydraulic table that goes almost to the floor... and will raise up to the tub for them to walk-in. Also I think with the questions I am asking... making sure they are use to being groomed and no aggression ( If there is even a hint at problems I quote the price so high they wont except). I guess what I am saying is that Large dogs can really be a problem for someone physically but if you have the right tools and really screen the dogs first.. they can be great!! I just did an aust Shepard today that is 4 years old and had only been groomed once.. but after grilling the owners, believed what they said.. We groom him once a week and he will obey... I pulled up and the dog ran to me and starting kissing, jumped in my trailer and onto my table and waited... lol... I really got lucky with this guy and so glad I didn't turn him away..

Kelly

PS: I am 48 so I know the back promblems.....

Comment

Originally posted by eddiesmom View Post
                        hey baddog,yes i saw you.your rig is awesome!!!!!im jelous
                        Thanks ...I put a lot of time into designing those graphics!

Comment

Working...
                        X