Forgotten body parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgotten body parts

Over the years, watching others groom I have noticed that on some of the "easy dogs", like the labs, beagles, etc that there are parts of the body that don't get touched. Mostly, the legs, especially the front, the muzzle, ears and even the tail. Has anyone else noticed this trend? In my mind, those parts still have fur and still need attention. I usually gently card those areas and get a ton of coat out of those spots most of the time. Especially the legs. I've been astounded at times, checking people's dogs over and finding a lab with a tail completely untouched full of dead hair. Sometimes I wonder if the tail is somehow invisible to others? I like to make sure I get as much dead hair out as possible. I did two Cavs the other night and as I was taking my fine stripping knife to the bridge of the nose gently using it to card out the dead coat, and getting quite a bit for a small area I started thinking about it. So I thought I'd post it here LOL. Maybe I have too much time to think while I'm grooming
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

You're So right...

Alot of times the "easy bath dogs" don't get proper attention.
    I have been surprised when tons of hair comes out by just running a de-shedding tool(aka "furminator) down a dog's front legs!
    & forget about lab & shepherd tails.... doesn't ANYBODY comb them????

Comment

Dear Internet (LOL)

MyLady, you are exceptional. You are well worth your fees. I learn so much from you. Also the other smelly dog one. Good thinking....check for stinky ears. I confess, I never considered all the steps you take til I met you here. BTW I got that dear internet from Conans' last show, and thought it was funny.

Comment

I do I do, I just had a choc lab today and I furminate everything and then use my cat comb on her tail to grab all that dead hair. Then I turned the furminator on my siamese cat...OMG I got tons out of him and it was still coming and I comb and brush him all the time. I think siamese are perpetual shedding cats...lol

Comment

Originally posted by onions View Post
          Alot of times the "easy bath dogs" don't get proper attention.
          I have been surprised when tons of hair comes out by just running a de-shedding tool(aka "furminator) down a dog's front legs!
          & forget about lab & shepherd tails.... doesn't ANYBODY comb them????

I have had to get on to employees before about this very issue. It drives me nuts! That mind set of chunking the "easy baths" in the tub, giving them a scrub and thinking they can be sent out w/little more than that being done.

In the past I have made my them redo the dogs and give my lecture by telling them that what they did on the dog the first time the owner could have done at home, in the backyard, with the hose pipe. They are PAYING us to do better that what they can't do.

It also drives me nuts how super regular dogs (weekly or so) can often have corners cut on them by theorizing that it was "just done" or will be done next week. (did I explain that right?)
          Last edited by sheilabgroomer; 01-24-10, 02:34 AM.
          SheilaB from SC

Comment

I use my HV on those areas. Rarely, after a proper HV do I have to do much more than that. Except tails...those get combed and brushed, but I am anal about blowing out legs because if you don't they don't get dry!
            <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I never brush muzzles if the hair there is already super short, though they get very clean, esp. the flews after my delectable blueberry facials : ) The tails of course, get brushed and combed well. That is a source for some major shedding! I am embarrassed to say that I don't brush legs of dogs that have naturally super short hair there. I comb and brush hairy elbows, sure, but never really thought about the other. I wash them and scrub the **** out of their feet, but never brush them.

Comment

We always brush the legs, the face, the ears and similar areas. It astounds our clients when they see the amount of hair we get out of those places. If you zoom groom those places when the parents can see and notice that it gets out a TON of hair on those 'forgotten' places they realize how important it is to do those areas. It also makes it very easy to sell them a zoom groom as something they can use at home to help keep all that fur off their floors and make our jobs easier in the long run.

Comment

absolutely agree - & I think clients definitely notice a job well done on a shorthaired / natural groom.

I deshed alot just using my hands - especially on legs or sensitive areas that I don't want to use the furminator on. a little leave in conditioner on your hands - & good rub down - you can get that last bit of hair out.

Comment

We Zoom Groom...its amazing what comes off legs, cheeks and heads. Brushes/combs just don't get the hair off these areas like zooms.

Comment

...and what about the pads of feet. There are some short haired dogs, that for some reason have very hairy pads. I always shave that out. Helps the customer with dirt being draged in, and ice balls.
                      don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

On all those sensitive areas I always use a rubber brush, it works great. The furminator scares me on some body parts.

Comment

I have a few dogs that I just I get tons of hair of the face. Like between and under the eyes of boxers for example. I like to scrub that area with a wash cloth. Funny how it doesn't look hairy or dirty until you clean it!

Comment

Working...
                          X