This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man apparently killed by dogs raised by daughter

This is the one breed I will not do. I know there are a lot of exceptions, however, you don't read about this happening with any other breed:

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...d-by-dogs.html
    A Light exists in Spring, Not present on the Year, At any other period -- When March is scarcely here...~~ Emily Dickensen~~

I would groom "one of those" over a chow, or Pei any day, but I live in the midwest and not in an urban area. I'm afraid if I lived in Detroit or any other large city I would have to be more selective...because of the people who are raising them though, not the breed itself.

Comment

I'm willing to take the board flack with you. I also add Cane Corso to the list. My life is too valuable to take the chance that I'm not going to get attacked by one for no apparent reason.

Comment

I didn't see a part where they mentioned breed, they just said mixed. The comments suggest it was a pit of some kind, but either way I feel like there is something more going on. Seems like something would need to provoke the dogs, or maybe there were serious dominance issues, who knows. Either way its too bad that happened to that guy, and I wish there were more responsible owners in the world.

Comment

I can bet money there is something else going on in that house. Dogs do not just attack a person. There is almost always something that provoked the attacks that you read about. I would rather groom a pit over a shar pei or chow ANYDAY. I have also been bitten or almost bitten by way more small breeds then i ever have large breeds (IE Cockers, shih tzus and min pins) Only you dont hear about small breed dog bites since most people brush them off as no big deal.

Comment

we do alot of pits ,Im ok with them Its akitas I dont trust.
            I never understand what happens in these types of situations people always say hes never been aggressive before hes always been such a good dog. I just dont get it.

Comment

I think this is the breed that killed a teacher in California several years ago. I had never heard of the breed until that time, but there was a lot of info about them in the news for a while afterwards.

They are a breed of dog that ignorant owners get for the wrong reason. Very powerful dog w/a disasterous potential if in the wrong hands. I remember one interview w/a breeder/expert and he said it was definately not a "casual pet" dog and certainly not for anyone who isn't very experienced in these kinds of power house dogs.
              SheilaB from SC

Comment

Originally posted by ferretlov View Post
                we do alot of pits ,Im ok with them Its akitas I dont trust.
                AGREED! I do pits, chows, mixes of all the above, but let an AKita darken my doorstep and I am outta here! NO WAY NO HOW!

Sad when things like this happen, and sometimes they DO happen out of nowhere. Sad.
                <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I have to say the man did something to the dogs to get attacked. The meanest dogs I have ever came across were two walker hounds that were absolutely nuts.

Comment

What a weird story that was... I agree something else must have been going on in that house. They did not say how old the pups are or if there were any other adult dogs present. It's even harder to believe one dog alone killed the man. It would have been one lengthy attack to cause those kind of wide spread injuries. That dog snapped if that's the case. There are a lot of holes in this story ..i dunno ...

Comment

dont knock the breed

I own a pit bull, and would trust this breed over a chow any day. my grooming clients actually want me to bring her with me when I arrive, and when I dog sit their dogs, they want me to bring her to stay there. I have had two fingers almost bit off by a scottie. to this day I hate grooming them. Getting my fingers stitched together makes me really dislike them. Pits dont develop human agression unless they are very abused.

Comment

Jast a thought...

I get bitten by shih tzus a lot more frequently than pits. You would never see a story about a wild pack of shih tzus attacking someone. HOWEVER, I firmly believe that if you get a pit that is well bred and has a calm, non-agressive mother, you don't see as many problems! My sister has a blue and white blue nose pit. He is 4 years old and still in tact. He was an expensive dog from a very responsible breeder. She had him in obedience at 5 months and he is wonderful. We feed a lot of raw meat and you can pull a venison steak from his mouth. No problem. BUT HOW MANY OF THE PIT ATTACKS YOU READ ABOUT RAISED THEM THIS WAY??? The majority of them were from questionable origins, chained in a yard and not socialized. Here in Alabama, if you drive down a street you will see pits and pit mixes chained to a tree, but very few other breeds. I'm not defending the dogs for this horrific scene, nor am I defending the owners. I am defending the posibility that pit bulls can be bred properly and I hate that they have this reputation. When I worked in a hospital, a chow chow or a doberman could bite a child when playing and no one made a big deal about it. If a pit bit the owner while playing, the local news would come out. Consider this before condeming an entire breed.

Comment

I think it was the "pack" that was the problem. Any dogs in a pack will kill one of the pack members if it is hurt, and they play off each other - if one goes after someone (dog or human) the others will too, even if the first one wouldn't have actually attacked by itself. I remember my instructor telling us about that when I was in grooming school, using his own dogs as an example. He had whippets and an Italian greyhound. They all got along great except when the greyhound had seizures and then the others would try to attack it. I think it's most certainly a dog thing and a pack thing, not necessarily a pit bull thing, but in the case of pit bulls, they are just so strong that they can easily get carried away. It could be something as simple as the guy slipped and fell and yelled, or got pissed off and threw something and one of the dogs went at him and the others followed and they just got riled up and excited and - oops - no more human. I think it is crazy to keep a pack of big dogs loose in a home.

Comment

I wonder if the man had some kind of seizure or heart attack.

I have zero fear of pitbulls. Like any powerful breed, if you own them you need to be responsible with training. I have met hundreds throughout the years and have never met a mean one. I have met some dog aggressive ones but never human aggression.

On another note.. anyone other than me get sucked in to that "Pitbulls and Parolees" show on AP?

Comment

Originally posted by MydogMissy View Post
                              This is the one breed I will not do. I know there are a lot of exceptions, however, you don't read about this happening with any other breed:

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...d-by-dogs.html
                              You don't read about it happening with other breeds because it doesn't make good press. German Shepherds are responsible for the most reported bite incidents, but you never hear about those.

The worst mauling incident I've ever heard of involved a litter of 10 week old Collie PUPPIES! I won't go into details, but it takes a lot to make me cringe, and this incident certainly did.

Personally, I'd do a pit over a Chow, a Rottie, or even a Cocker Spaniel. No offense to the Cocker people on the board, but I've been bitten by more Cockers than any other breed. But I've never been bitten by a pit. I've never even have one challenge me.

Comment

Working...
                              X