Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(VWD) Von Wildebrand disease, anyone have a dog with it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (VWD) Von Wildebrand disease, anyone have a dog with it?

My daughter's standard poodle just died from what the vet thinks is VWD. He was 3, healthy and had a few symptoms that we didn't recognize as being unusual. He was a rescue and we have no idea what his breeding was, just that he was a sweet, sweet standard Poo. We are distraught, he died suddenly, and although he was resussitated, he crashed again, and died. Does anyone have any info that can shed any light on this disease?

VWB is a blood clotting disorder

Comment

Originally posted by baddog View Post
      VWB is a blood clotting disorder
      >>>

That's what I'm reading. We did not get him from a breeder, but from a rescue as a 4 month old puppy. He was almost 3 years old. It was devastating, I've never seen a dog go so fast. Complicating the situation was the fact that there were very few vet clinics even open yesterday that had a there. I am so grateful to the vet who took care of Serj and handled us so kindly and compassionately.

Comment

I'm so sorry for your and your daughter's loss! The only advice I can offer is to look at the Poodle Club website. How long had your daughter had him?

Comment

Sorry to hear about your family's loss. The saddest part is it was preventable. There have been blood tetss and Dna tests now for eyars and VWD only presents when 2 carriers are bred. A carrier can be bred to a non carrier to prevent a line from losing important genetic material but rsposible breeders will test for VWD to prevent it from cropping up. There are so many diseases in poodles that can be watched for to prevent this from happening. Certain lines are known for specific things but a lot of breeders are close mouthed about what lines carry which problems and don't talk openy about which ones that do or yu will get blacklisted. Even the same way about several sacrosanct breeders who are a waste of the air they breathe sad to say. The Poodle Club of America has a list of the common problems in the breed , but then you have to do more research yourself

http://www.canine-genetics.com/ Canne Diversity is a very good page to start on. Hopefully you will learn a lot I sure did! When I got my 1st Std in 1997 I had some idea of the problems but I sure learned fast about a lot of others.

Comment

Sorry Karen. I believe I met Serj once, he was a nice dog.

Tammy in Utah
            Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

So preventable....

I am a Standard Poodle Breeder and my Sires and Dams are tested before being bred! I am so sorry to hear about your loss so sad when it could have been prevented by a small blood test. Again I am so sorry.
              ***Darlynn***
              ***DON"T HATE ME BECAUSE IM POODLEFUL!!***

Comment

We had Dobes with it. Both champion full sisters to a Westminster group winner, by the way. And the breeder got extremely huffy with us when told the sisters had tested positive for VWD because, as she caustically explained to us, HER dogs did not carry VWD.

The testing we did with the two girls showed they were very seriously affected, yet we did not have any serious health issues with them as a result. They both ultimately died of problems connected with old age, not VWD.

Comment

Originally posted by Poodle Mom View Post
                  I am a Standard Poodle Breeder and my Sires and Dams are tested before being bred! I am so sorry to hear about your loss so sad when it could have been prevented by a small blood test. Again I am so sorry.
                  >>>>>>>>>

We got the poor guy as a rescue, so we know nothing about his breeding. Believe me, the next one will be purchased from a breeder who does genetic testing. I'm just devastated. I have always preached looking for a rescue first for my kids pets. But I am not going to put my kids or myself through this ever again. Thank you all for your kindness.

Comment

Originally posted by HOTW View Post

http://www.canine-genetics.com/ Canne Diversity is a very good page to start on. Hopefully you will learn a lot I sure did! When I got my 1st Std in 1997 I had some idea of the problems but I sure learned fast about a lot of others.
                    >>>>

It's been devastating for all of us. Thank you for the info. My daughter has especially been interested in finding all she can about vWD.

Comment

Working...
                    X