Full Glands causing bad breath???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Glands causing bad breath???

Ok, I've been grooming now for years, I read ALOT, as much as I possibly can. But this is one issue that I've never heard of or read about that a dog with glands that are full and in need of expression causing their breath to smell foul unless the owner were to tell me that their dog has been scooting and licking alot.

My client says to me today when I called to confirm her greyhound's grooming appointment for tomorrow- oh good Im glad your coming tomorrow because my dogs breath smells so she needs to get her glands expressed. She then explains that she can tell her dog needs expression because her breath smells worse before the groom and then smells better afterwards. Ok, I said well is she licking herself alot, she said no its just related and she tells me that her mother had a dog who had gland problems and her vet told the mother that the glands filling up will affect her breath. I haven't ever heard of that before having any relation...

Please tell me if anyone has ever heard of that before...

I do know that plaque and bacteria cause odors in the mouth, but full glands??? never heard that one.

Weird. Afraid I'm no help, here. Usually it's the OWNER's who have their head up their a**. The technical term is "cranial-anal inversion".
    Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
    George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

she may not notice the dog licking it's behind and "mom" probably misunderstood what the vet said. Honestly, I can't see a direct connection unless they (the arse and the mouth) are directly connected, lol

Comment

well I have never heard such a thing before. although I do know when my cats use the litter box ... my dogs breath starts to smell funky lol

Comment

I have not heard of that, but I have heard something else. While I was in grooming school one of the groomers said that when a dogs breath smells fishy it means they have crystals in the bladder. While she was saying that another groomer was grooming her own dog and noticed her breath was fishy smelling. She took her to the vet right away to check it out and she did have crystals in her urine. So I wouldn't say it's that far off to say that a dogs breath could smell from full anal glands.

Comment

you guys make me laugh!

for the love of dogs: I had a cat who had renal disease and our vet smelled his breath first. She said that the breath smells like urine and/or ammonia, and I had heard that since that renal disease can affect their breath. Of course blood tests confirmed the disease as well. I wonder if that is the same kind of odor in the mouth that crystals would cause.... hmmm...

I believe that, but just still baffled over the glands full causing odor. It sounds silly to have any relevance but I wouldnt want to discount something I heard from my client. I have learned alot from my clients just from them telling me about their own personal experiences with their aniimals. so you never know, but probably a misunderstanding. Maybe the vet said one thing and they interpreted in another.

Comment

Originally posted by pooh13 View Post
              well I have never heard such a thing before. although I do know when my cats use the litter box ... my dogs breath starts to smell funky lol
              >>>>

That's funny, mine too! Apparently no dog can resist kitty box crunchies.

Comment

Crystal, a dog (or other animal, even people) will have urine or ammonia breath when their kidneys are failing because the kidneys aren't filtering the blood properly (or at all), so the waste products are still in their blood, where it can cause that smell when the lungs exchange oxygen and CO2. It's kinda like what happens when you eat garlic. Even after you brush your teeth you can still have garlic breath because you're breathing out the chemicals that make garlic smell like garlic.

So, in effect, if the same were true for anal glands (which it's not) the glands would be empty.

I seriously suspect the dog is licking and chewing at his hiney, and she's not noticing.

Comment

Ha Ha, that should go under groomer giggles

I never heard of such of thing either. Im sure the dog is licking which is causing the very offensive breath.Sometimes owners hear what they want.
                  I do know cats/dogs having severe renal issues their breath smells like urine and some people (not all) can smell when dogs are what they call diabetic ketoacidocic, their breath smells sweet. Thats the only cases I ever heard of the breath changing. Oh and when their teeth are so caked on with tarter/plaque and green, their breath just smells really bad! lol!

Comment

Originally posted by pooh13 View Post
                    HAHA nice..

Yeah Unless my anatomy is completely off Im pretty sure the anal glands bear no relation to the breath.. Breath and kidneys Yes, but anal glands not so much

Comment

The vet I work at smelled the dogs breathe and if it had a sweet smell it had diabetes, and he was right.
                      Could be something to it all..

Comment

Working...
                      X