Little to no quicks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little to no quicks?

I'm not going into great details but a client wasn't happy with us and was upset that her dogs nails kept coming off and somehow blaming us b/c apparently they were left too long and that wasn't acceptable. Anyhow I was determined that this miniature poodle would have the shortest nails that ever left our shop and started trimming them, I cut them right at the curve like all the others when I can't see the quick (black nails) then I dremeled them. Those nails dremeled down almost to the foot, I couldn't believe it when I was done. The nails weren't long to start with and at the end they looked like little nubs. I couldn't find the quick. When the owner came back I asked her if she'd ever talked to the vet about her dog loosing his nails and she admitted that she hadn't (no just blame the groomer when your dog has a problem). I explained that it was a medical problem and not a grooming problem that was causing her dog to lose nails, I'm curious to find what could be wrong. Anyone have any ideas?

I haven't seen that problem..definately weird. I did have a sch. come in that the nails would fall off if you touched them or just when he walked leaving just the exposed quick. Of course the owner waited until the dog was only walking on quicks and all the nails fell off. (I explained to her that I would guess it was painful and unusual to have this problem.) I don't know what the vet said or did but next time I saw him his nails were growing attached to the quick (although still extremely brittle)

If you find out what it is let me know.

Comment

I have no idea what it is from or what to call it but I have seen it. I have also seen no quicks in nails that have been filed back repeatedly especially in young puppies. Sometimes it forces them back and they never grow back out, but if they are falling off then there is a medical problem. Most of the ones I have seen were poodles in fact, come to think of it.
      <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I am not a Vet,,but that could be the result of a few things. Poor nutrition, an untreated nail fungus or bacterial infection, or a symptom of a larger and more serious disease that I don't know of, etc.. Either way,,,long nails on a dog that have a non-existent quick (meaning that they aren't worn back from exercise, and even if they were, their feet would have to be very obviously misshapen to erode the quick entirely), to me,, means that they aren't healthy.
        Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
        www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

I have seen it in dogs with anxiety that pulls their nails out at home scratching crates.

Seems to happen most often with black nails since they tend to be more brittle.

Comment

I agree with windy the first thing I thought of reading the post was fungus. She really needs to take her dog to the vet.....people!

Comment

Working...
            X