To All of The Minnesota Groomers.........Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To All of The Minnesota Groomers.........Question

My better half thinks that groomers don't slow down when you have winter weather. With a show of replies please explain to him that a lot of times people don't want to "slide" into their grooming appointments lol. He is OBSESSED with Minnesota while I on the other hand (no offense) HATE it We used to live their for two years and that was ENOUGH for me. I am no snow bunny!!!!!!!!!

My fiance is from Minnesota where we met when I lived there for a year. I will NEVER live there again (which he wants to move back but no way!). LOL. In regards to slowing down, most people I know in Minnesota (including my parents who grew up in MN and ND) won't leave their homes if they have to in the negative double digits. Since it had been that cold for about 2 weeks I'm sure there were plenty of grooming appointments cancelled! TOO COLD! LOL.

Comment

Where do you live now?

We live 15 miles east of MN - the northern part, halfway between Duluth and the twin cities.

Knock on wood, we haven't slowed down at all this winter. One of the other groomers in the area isn't open anymore, however we've only picked up about 8 of her customers. She was employed by a vet, didn't do many pre-books, we do. Her customers now travel about 30 miles to groomers that will take the dog the next day.

So far we've only had a couple people reschedule because of weather. It's really not that bad, just a few weeks of below zero weather and then of course snow from November to April. People that live here get used to it. Spring and fall are wonderful, summers can be nice - but we do have some humidity.

Comment

I used to live in St Bonifacious then moved up to Excelsior. Now I live in Florida)))))

Comment

Grooming when it's cold

I am located 15 miles south of St. Cloud in a little town and when it was cold the last two weeks it was slow for me. This week when it hit 20 degrees, the calls were flying in. I have lived in MN all my life and while the winter can be a brutal, I love having four seasons and the people are awesome!

Comment

I have always noticed a bit of a lull in the first weeks of Jan but I had always associated it more with the balance to the christmas and new years rush. I think we deal with more client education for those who want to leave them longer but then end up with a matted dog. I regularly give variations of the short and fluffy is warmer than long and matted.

Comment

Haven't had much of a lull here (in a northern suburb of Minneapolis). I think weather has a little to do with people not calling in, but I rarely get a cancellation because of it (it would normally have to be REALLY cold-like 30 below or snowing so much that one couldn't drive)...I think it would be different in an area that doesn't plow right away too-our plow trucks start before it even snows, lol.

Comment

Nope, I really don't slow down in the winter-might have to reschedule if there's a blizzard though. I agree about having 4 seasons; I actually get a little bored with summer near the end and look forward to taking a break from yard work. Though I do get sick of the snow by about Feb, I would miss sledding with the kids and building snowmen. Winter is a great excuse to be lazy and curl up with a good book, a hot chocolate, and a dog on your lap to keep you warm (while a pot of chili is simmering in the kitchen)-and you really can't beat "Minnesota nice"! There's nowhere else I would like to be

Comment

I don't care WHAT you want, KD--you'll be closer to me, therefor you are simply moving and that's the end of it! See you soon!!!
                  Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
                  www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

What is Minnesota nice?
                    "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                    People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Minnesota vs. Florida? lol is that even a real question? Burrrrrr! I hate being cold.

Comment

Cold isn't so bad once you adjust...I don't like high heat and humidity. I always enjoy fall and spring when the weather is just right-not too hot and not too cold. I will say that I REALLY hate bitter cold...

Minnesota nice is supposed to mean that the people that live here are really nice-I personally don't find that in my area, I find a lot of rude jerks, lol. I have really nice clients though...

Comment

Windy if I would have known you when I lived in Minnesota I would have traveled to your shop just to shadow your amazing work!!!!! I can only dream about grooming as well as you do.

And Minnesota nice is one of the truest statements about that place. People are SOOOOOO insanely nice its almost unbelievable. If I could move that niceness down to FL I would have it made. LOL!!!!!

Comment

In my former career I got sent to Racine WI, which is directly on the opposite side of Lake MI to work on a project in the middle of winter. I remember driving into town and honest to god I thought it had been deserted. No cars at any of the businesses, maybe passed two cars during my 5 mile drive to the hotel

So I get to the hotel there are 5 cars in the parking lot, counting my rental; but there was like 10 snowmobiles there. So I go inside and there are like 70 people packed into this tiny hotel bar all watching the packers game. I was floored because I couldn't figure out how they all got there. So I got to talking to one local guy and he said this is what they do until spring, just hunker down in the bar and wait for it to warm up.

I scratched my head and said asked where and how did all these people get here. He said some of them walked and others ride 2-3 on a snowmobile and go from bar to bar. He told me they were less likely to have an accident after drinking all day and they cold switch up drivers depending on who was felling the least intoxicated.

I was stunned, I had never heard of such a thing.

Comment

Well I live in MN and prefer to live in FL but hubby wont move. His business and family are here. I hate the cold and I hate the snow. There is nothing to do in the winter that I enjoy. As far as being slow; no most people in MN are used to the cold and weather that they don't stay home. Some of the older clients or people that have kids do ie no babysitter no school but otherwise most people are traveling. MN nice means that most people are nicer here then other places but plenty are still rudy. To me MN nice means I'm nice to you until I get to know you. Stay in FL in fact make room for me I'd like to come join you.

Comment

Working...
                              X