what would you do? *long*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what would you do? *long*

this is more of a rant and a vent, but if you have any in-put and advise, i would very much appreciate it. i need it.
    most of you may remember me from my "no paystubs, not sure my taxes are being paid" mess. well, so far, i've gotten most of that cleared up, atleast i have stubs (we'll see for sure when i get my w-2)

since then, the owner has passed away, (may she be in peace) and the son has taken over as manager. he's a good kid, with good intentions. but he is just that, a kid. (an 18yr old boy who likes to spend his nights partying and whatever nonsense he does) when he first took over the management position, he seemed to have a can do attitude about it, but now it's all back firing. all he wants to do is watch stupid youtube videos.

in order to get him to work on time, i personally have to take him to work, (or else he'll be there 45 mins late, me and customers waiting, and i have no key. we already lost one customer because of that) he doesn't return messages. he let it build up so bad the memory on the answering machine was full and no one could leave a message for a month. people are asking if we went out of business.

i have to nag him to call on finished dogs, and for him to finish bath dogs.

he's turning dogs away if they are 10 minutes late for our drop off time, just because he's tired and doesn't want to be there. after being there for 6 minutes he's falling a sleep at the counter. (i timed it)

he let the place become a complete pig sty. (it's taken me 3 days to get it back to decent.) (ps, the above mentioned is what he gets paid to do)

his friends believe that this place of business is their social gathering spot. and it's not just 1 or 2 friends, but 5. our store front isn't all that big. it gets crammed. and i hate to say it, but people are intimidated by groups of teenagers. and the dogs get antsy too.

all in all, it's not a professional environment.

i had a heart to heart with the husband/father/owner (we'll call him owner for short, he's never there because he works else where), and basically told him i can't work under these conditions and that his son is running this place in to the ground. he agreed. 3 months ago, a $700 paycheck was a bad week, now i pray to see $350. so he definitely feels my pain, and knows it's going down hill, and fast. i told him if it doesn't change, i can't afford to be there much longer. he said, it's become a money pit for him too and it sounds like he's ready to walk away from it.

the owner said he'd have a talk with the son. calls me the next day. i report things are the same. ok, he says, i'll talk to him again. next day, same thing. this goes on for 3 days. i can't just keep on tattle tailing, it's getting ridiculous.

the owner wants the son to be there, to carry on his mom's dream. the son says he wants to be there, but his actions prove otherwise, like he just says it not to disappoint the dad. the owner will talk about taking him out of the shop, then gets wishy-washy and changes his mind. (really, the son is just a waste of my fresh air and makes me more stressed in my day than i should be. i really think it'd run smoother with just me and the bather)

i don't know what to do. i really like this place, for what it used to be. the owner is like a dad to me, the whole family is like my family. i like the dogs i do, and the relationships i've forged with the customers. and honestly, i believe that if i do leave they will be forced to lock the doors and close up shop. i can't have that on my conscience.

then to top it off, the orlando job market isn't looking all that pretty. i had an interview monday, their other groomer just quit because it was too slow.... right, sign me up for that one... "but we like having 5 groomers on staff"....um, no thanks.

if i had the money, i'd offer to take it off their hands. but in the mean time, i'm at a loss. what would you do?

Originally posted by virgo's merlot View Post

...i'm at a loss. what would you do?

Find a new job.

Comment

Virgo

do your dogs. be empathetic if you understand their feeling of loss. can you afford the rent once he gives it to you? sounds to me like you will be a new grooming shop owner here soon. make your money, there at THAT job. You have the head start already before anyone else at your present location. Make it yours. Sounds like the son and father are willing to let it go. probably give it to you. Good Luck

Comment

Maybe the owner (husband/father) would consider letting YOU manage it for him. Explain to him the business is going downhill and will be losing money because of the son's work habits and you'd hate to see that happen.

Perhaps he'd give you a chance to show what you can do with it

If that's not an option, he could sell it to you based on a monthly % of sales or something. Least he'd get that off his plate and you could carry on the business.

Comment

Ask him if he woud consider letting you take over as manager. The son is way too young and is prob only there because it's what his mom wanted.

Comment

this isn't your problem, this is someone elses headache, find a new job.

Comment

shop

Sooo sorry you have to go through this difficult time. I once heard that you can't have a rainbow without some rain. I have not been in your situation, so I would only be offering my view/opinion without being in your shoes. So I will not go there because I do not know what is best for you. Probably feels like you are on a sinking ship. This could also be your best asset in time..... Keep us posted!

Comment

Originally posted by neanea View Post
                Maybe the owner (husband/father) would consider letting YOU manage it for him. Explain to him the business is going downhill and will be losing money because of the son's work habits and you'd hate to see that happen.

Perhaps he'd give you a chance to show what you can do with it

If that's not an option, he could sell it to you based on a monthly % of sales or something. Least he'd get that off his plate and you could carry on the business.
                I agree, approach him with this opption, sonny boy is missing mom, and imature. Sounds like you can talk with the dad and be kind, try this option before you throw in the towel.
                ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

I think you need to make an offer and buy the business.....................

Comment

That is WAAAAAAAY to young for anyone to manage a business like that! It sounds like the dad put him in that position because

a)the kid had nothing to do. and
                    b)he had no one else to do it.

I am sorry for the loss of your friend/boss, but when it comes down to it, the place sounded like bookwork and such was not taken care of properly before she passed. What do you think it looks like now that an 18 yr old is running it?

I dont think I would want to buy the business as it stands, but maybe offer to buy the equipment, take over the lease, and client list, then CHANGE the name. If you buy it as it stands, you will be buying all the "legal" problems that may come with it.

I also think I would take every piece of equipment I owned home with me every night. You never know when the doors will be locked. You should be doing that anyway if you do not have a key IMHO.

Tough situation, but maybe you can use it as the opportunity of a lifetime.

Comment

Maybe you could "rent to own" giving him a portion of the profits until the agreed upon price has been met??? I'd think they'd be glad to get the business off their hands!

Comment

I would make a business plan, sit down crunch numbers then put in an offer to 'rent to own' all legal through a lawyer.

or explain you need to find a new job.

Comment

thanks everybody, for helping me put this into a more optimistic perspective. you guys actually put me in a better mindset, and overall my day went pretty well knowing that something good could come out of all this.

i am not one to go down with out a fight. after all the blood, sweat and tears (literally) i've invested into this place, i can't walk away just yet.

i couldn't help but day dream all day about what i'd re-name it and how i'd change it. it kept me smiling and peaceful.

again, thanks everyone!!!

Comment

I can just imagine how you feel. But to tell you the truth, family is family and he may not just let his son go like that even if you are whats best for the business. Some are to scared to tell their family " You're fired". So you may just have to deal with it, or talk to the son himself, or find another job. I am afraid of change especially when i like my current position, but sometimes it's for the better. hope it all works out for you.

Comment

Originally posted by dogspaw View Post
                              That is WAAAAAAAY to young for anyone to manage a business like that!
                              Y'know, before I met Jacob aka Full Groom I would've made the same sweeping generalization. He started his own grooming salon, Broken Bows, at the age of 15 (before he was old enough to drive!) and three years later, not only is he still going strong, he is a constant source of artistic and humanistic inspiration to myself and many others. The guy has a heart of gold and mad skillz with da shears. He conducts himself with a wisdom and maturity far beyond his tender years and shows class that many people 3 times his age have not managed to acheive - and probably never will. From his gorgeous paintings to his recent day with Lisa Leady, he is a reminder that age is definitely NOT a limiting factor in pursuing one's dreams.
                              Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
                              George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

Working...
                              X