An industry issue- health care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An industry issue- health care

Any groomers out there willing to talk to a starving college student about their health care experiences? Either via email or phone conversation? It would have to be in the next few days, and it's for a paper I'm writing. If you happened to be in my area (south king county/pierce county WA) I'd even buy you lunch.

Interviewee must be uninsured. I'm especially looking for someone who has had recent experiences with being uninsured. The interview should take about 1/2 an hour, and has questions about demographics, access, costs, quality, etc.

I've tried to schedule interviews with two of my coworkers (at two different jobs) and both have flaked out on me (which is dumb, because they were excited to talk about their experiences).

I know that a lack of insurance seems to be an issue in our industry, and if anyone has any general experiences or stories to contribute in this thread, that would be awesome.

Personally, I am covered by my family's health insurance (well-known software/gaming/etc company). It is an incredible insurance plan, and I have had nothing but good experiences. On the other hand, due to some health issues I have had, I am scared to death of graduating from college and being on my own. I know I will be denied private insurance due to some of these issues, and absolutely cannot afford some of the medications I need in order to function. Not sure what will happen when I graduate (marriage, job in another industry, etc), but I dread dealing with it.

Thanks everybody! The support of this community and willingness to share is AWESOME!

I can not help with the paper, as I am NOW insured, but I went for a very long time working in this industry without it. I even closed a business I had and took a job with another shop in a bigger town for several reasons, one major one being I was promised health insurance. Three years later I still did not have it, and for that and many reasons I left and opned my own salon. One of the FIRST things I did was get private health insurance. Good thing I did! It was not even a couple months later I was diagnosed with a tumor on my spinal cord that had grown so large it had eaten away at some of my vertebre. I was in surgery within a couple weeks (I HAD to go to APF first!) several days in ICU, 2 weeks in the hospital, long time at rehab learning to walk again. I also now have to get an MRI every 6 months for the rest of my life, and I have to take several medications daily, that I could in no way afford without insurance coverage. When I look back now I can remember several times that I WOULD have gone to the doctor had I had insurance, and they would have found it much sooner. I have even had vets stich me up and give me antibiotics for a cut, because I could not afford to go to the doctor. Many, many more stories I could tell if you would like, just PM me. Health Insurance is a passionate subject for me.

Comment

There are some policies that actually will not penalize you for having pre existing conditions IF you are covered at the time the new policy begins, so check into that. I know, because I am covered for everything because of that pre-insured clause.
      <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I dont know if I can help but I am what they would call "self insured". That means I take really good care of myself.. I rarely call the dr. if I can treat it myself, I do... If not I shop carefully for a provider who can.. For example I use the dental school.. We also homebirth. Many self insured have a savings, like a ROTH IRA that we put $$ into instead of a monthly premium. That would cover the "oh craps!" I as refer to them.. some carry only catastrophic insurance as oppose to a full benefit program..

If you want more info on that route let me know..

Comment

OK, I am not currently insured, have a myriad of health issues, and have learned how to work the system, thanks to having been an insurance biller in a physician's office for 3 years.

PM me and bring on the questions.

Comment

I'm insured, but only through my husband's TRICARE coverage from the military. Otherwise due to pre-existing conditions no private insurer will touch me.

You may find that groomers have coverage through their spouse's work as a common thread. Which of course means when the spouse is out of work or fired, no one has health insurance.
            "With God's help, all things are possible!"
            Laura Lee Ray
            I am kats_melody on eGroomer. Follow my Twitter tweets - @ZOOMGROOM on Twitter.com

Comment

Originally posted by kats_melody View Post
              I'm insured, but only through my husband's TRICARE coverage from the military. Otherwise due to pre-existing conditions no private insurer will touch me.

You may find that groomers have coverage through their spouse's work as a common thread. Which of course means when the spouse is out of work or fired, no one has health insurance.
              The company my husband has been with for 15 years is closing it's doors the end of February. I'm really not all that bent out of shape about him losing his job (he's in the auto industry and we knew it was coming eventually anyway) but losing our insurance is pretty scary. I'm pretty sure that's when a couple of my teeth will fall out right before I trip whilst walking UP the stairs (I do that quite often) and break an arm. Which will put ME out of work and then we'll really be screwed.

Comment

Working...
              X