how many dogs a day is normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how many dogs a day is normal?

If you are grooming alone, (no Bather/non mobile) what number of dogs can you reasonably clip in a day?
    Do you do assembly line grooming or by appointment?

Alot of your answers are going to depend on how long that person's been grooming and what kind of dogs are scheduled.
    If I have a fair day I can get 6 to 8 dogs a day done by appointments.
    ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
    Apparently common sense isn't all that common
    *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

There are so many factors to this! How many hours are in this work day? Are you looking to produce great looking grooms for better money or ****** grooms for less money? (Mostly joking on this one, but it obviously happens out there so why not?). How long has the groomer been grooming?

I am a mobile groomer, but when I am grooming multiple pet households, I get a good feel of what my shop timing would be like. I have a little table top fluff dryer that I use when I have more than one dog at an appt on the 'waiting' dog/s.

I have been working with animals and bathing/nails, etc. since I was 16, so 12 years now. I have been a full on GROOMER for almost 6 years. If I were working an 8 hour day, and got to have a lunch break to refuel, and had zero interruptions, I could probably do a full groom on 6 - 8 SMALL dogs in 8 hours, and do a good job. I would probably not be able to keep this kind of pace up long term however, because I think I would get burned out and physically exhausted. I think 6 would have to be my limit, give or take some bath and brush dogs. I may be considered slow, but my work looks very good, if I may say, and I get a higher price for it.

I think with bathers/assistants that number could go way up.

Comment

I don't like to do more than 5 grooms in a day. I charge a lot per dog, so I don't have to...ha ha.

When I have a bather, the number goes up obviously. It also depends on the dog. Regular grooms take less time than the every 6 monthers. A lab bath will obviously take less time than a golden. Some goldens take longer than others. Some dogs have super thick hair and take forever to dry. Some dogs have to poop and step in it.

And then people wonder why you can't always tell them EXACTLY when there dog will be done. lol

Comment

It's just me at my shop, and I only do 6 dogs a day. To be fair, this is a one-on-one appt so I can't "stack" my clients unless the client has multiple pets. I also hardly ever get shavedowns; almost all my clients are scissored at least on the legs if not all over. (I get a lot of clients that like 2-4 in) Like Paws, I charge more so I can take my time and do less. I'm not a quantity groomer!
          There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

I work at home and alone (well most of the time) and I'm happy doing 4 dogs a day, and that's about 4-5 hrs a day.
            During the holidays I was up to 7 on some days and that was fine but I sure wouldn't want to do it every day.
            "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
            Diane

Comment

yes I agree..

Yes I agree & that was just a hyperthetical question. I currently do 4-5 dogs a day in the busy season & for me that is enough. I like to do a quality job and take my time.
              I have never done assembly line grooming where all the dogs are brought in the morning and then put thru a line, I just don't know if I could do that for long.
              And yes it does depend on the type of dog & groom you are doing.
              I could easily get thru 8 lab baths in a day but not do 8 poodles and do a great job!
              Does that make sense?

Comment

In general I tend to do 6 grooms a day (no bath dogs) if they are smaller, basic trims, I might be comfortable 7 or 8. If they are huge hairy dogs, or lots of tedious scissoring, I may do 4 or 5. It all just depends on the day and the dogs. I tend to not push myself TOO hard, I don't want to work super long hours and get burned out (sure wish I was able to have a bather wash those dogs though)

Comment

There are too many variable to really give this an honest answer. Things like what breed of dog? When was it last groomed? Are we talking a specific cut or a shavedown? How long has the groomer been grooming? How old is the groomer? How's the groomer's health? What products are in use? How good is your equipment?

The list goes on and on.

The most I've done by myself is 19. Right now it's more like 6-8, depending on the dogs. But I'm not as fast as I used to be. And if I get a St. Poo day, it'd be 3, max.

Comment

I'm like Sibes. 5 dogs is a full day for me. I also charge a lot (but yet I am very reasonable compared to my competitors in the area). I work alone from home and have two children who I usually have to run around and bring to and from school.
                    I'm really just a little dog in a big dog's body (I really should cut down on those milk bones).

Comment

I work alone from home and like to do only 4 a day. I work by appointment only, 6 days a week, about 7 hours per day, but I take my time and focus on staying calm & relaxed. I only take small to medium dogs and no vicious ones anymore. I can usually finish a small grooming in about 1.25 to 1.5 hours but I like to have some quick breaks throughout the day so I allow 2 hours per dog.

Comment

I prefer 5-6 dogs per day , but if I get the spit and blow dogs of course the numbers go up. I prefer quality work over quantity ,and of course pricing makes a world of difference.

Comment

I groom at home, alone, and by appointment. I usually do 5 - 6 dogs in an 8-9 hour day with at least 1/2 hr for lunch. I usually schedule two at a time, 1/2 hour apart, so I do three sets. I can't handle being stressed out anymore!!

Comment

I usually do between 6-8 I used to do a lot more but have decided with age and years in the biz I have to preserve what body parts I do have.My record for all by myself was 17-never again!

Comment

Originally posted by HOTW View Post
                              I usually do between 6-8 I used to do a lot more but have decided with age and years in the biz I have to preserve what body parts I do have.My record for all by myself was 17-never again!
                              I would be dead after doing that many dogs.
                              I do 6 dogs a day and once in a while I will have 7 but I try VERY hard NOT to have 7.
                              And now I turned 62 I want to only do 5dogs day!! I use to do 8-10 in a 10hr time when I was alot younger!!

Comment

Working...
                              X