I've had better days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've had better days

My husband and I started the day taking our old sled dog we adopted a couple years ago to the vets to say goodbye. We don't know his age, but it was time. It was a hard decision to make but our vet agreed with us, it was time. We said goodbye to Dino as he went to the bridge. Rest easy boy, your out of pain.
    The we went to do some shopping since we were in town (an hour trip one way). We have had 60 mph winds for the past two days with gusts over 80 mph. Driving through the whipping snow blowing across the roads in whiteout conditions. Not fun. Our truck is being pelted with snow, ice, sand, pebbles, rocks, branches, you name it, it is flying through town. We get to Sears, our first stop. Open the doors to the truck one at a time because if you open both sides at the same time, anything not nailed down is whipped out into the parking lot. Then your spending your time racing around trying to catch your reciepts, grocery list, hat, Pom, what every was on the seat. You have to hold the door really tight or the wind will grab the door out of your hand and twist your door so it won't shut tight anymore. We make it across the parking lot that is so slick and polished from the wind, you can skate on it without skates. We get into the store, find what we need, then the power goes out. Standing there in the dark, waiting for the generators to come on. When they do, make our way to the registers, only to have them tell us, the registers are down, they don't work on generator power. Darn it anyway! Then the power comes on and we can check out. Yeah!
    As we head out, I am holding my husbands arm so I don't fall. But then a huge, fast, gust of wind comes and boom, down goes my husband, pulling me with him. He lands on his knee then his butt. I go down in slow motion, trying to save myself but hit my knee too. We get up, feeling foolish and limp to our truck. His knee hurts more then mine and since our truck is manuel tranny, I drive. We head over to Walmart, our next stop. The parking lot lights are out but the store is lit up and we make our way into the store. We get our items and get out of there. All ok with that stop.
    We go to get fuel since we are now on empty. My husband climbs out of the truck, repeating all the above steps so we don't loose the door off the truck. He is bent over at the waist, making his way through the wind to the gas pump. He slids the card through the scanner and gets our card approved. He tries to pump fuel but the nozzle won't engage. He tries 3 or 4 times, while his nose, ears, cheeks and hands are turning bright red. Finally I put the window down and ask what is wrong. He said the pump is not working. He repeats the procedure two times more without success. Finally I yell out the window, forget it! Let's go somewhere else. He makes his way back to the door, bent over again trying to make it around the truck in the wind. He gets into the truck, red as a tomato and frozen like a popscicle. We drive to another gas station and successfully fill the tank with fuel.
    We have had enough of town and head home. We battle our way through white out conditions still, hearing things hit the truck that we have no idea what they are. We pass a tow truck and police cars with lights on. The tow truck is pulling a car out of a huge drift of snow that was across the highway. The police cars are there so no one hits the snow drift and the tow truck. Man, we can't wait to get home.
    We are a couple hundred feet from our driveway which is on the highway. My husband slows down, down shifts from 4th to 3rd and he then says oh ****, as we loose traction and head towards the ditch. We are sideways across both lanes then our front end goes into the ditch. It all happens in slow motion. I have time to throw my hands up thinking the airbags are going to go off. We end up in the ditch, our rear end just on the highway, our front end facing the embakment on the other side of the ditch. We just sit there a minute, looking at each other. We ask each other if we are ok. Yes, we are. All our stuff we bought is on the floor. It is -12 degrees below zero outside and we can see our yardlight on our house across the highway. hmmm, well, this is going to cost money to get out. I call a tow truck as my husband opens the door and steps knee deep into the snow. Other vehicles start to come by and people start stopping, asking us if we are ok! Yes, we are, thanks, yup, we called a tow truck, thank you! I sit a few minutes, then hubby tells me to go ahead and get out and go to the house. I go home and he pulls into the driveway about 30 min later.
    Ok, I am ready for a nice hot drink and the warm cozy bed. It has been a hell of a day and we don't have to go anywhere tomorrow. I think we will sleep in and not go outside at all!

OMG What a story. I hung on every word. Glad you made it home and you're both OK. And I thought NJ had lousy weather.
    www.gomobileandsucceed.com
    http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

[Sibes busily UNPACKING bags all set by front door, ready to move to Alaska and telling the poochies we are going to wait until bug season before leaving....]

You poor thing. So sorry about Dino. I know it's the natural path of things...but it's still very sad.

As far as the rest of it....WOW! I'm really glad you guys are mostly ok. Hunker down and stay that way!
      Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

I am sooooooooooooooo thankful I didn't take that grooming job in Alaska.. you poor things

Comment

OK...

if you wrote this to make all of us in Alabama feel guilty about shutting down because the temp is 18 and we had snow flurries, then it worked! Seriously, that is weather I just cannot imagine! Down here, or normal winter LOWS are 28-30. If you ever want to move here, let me know!!

So sorry about your sled dog, btw. I know how difficult it is to say goodbye.

Comment

Originally posted by alabamagroomer View Post
            if you wrote this to make all of us in Alabama feel guilty about shutting down because the temp is 18 and we had snow flurries, then it worked!
            LOL...No Kidding!

Comment

All dogs go to Heaven. Dino has a strong wing behind his wings to speed his journey.
              "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
              People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

R.I.P Dear Dino
                So sorry for your loss

Comment

I don't think I will ever complain about bad weather again. (At least try not too lol)
                  I'm sitting here just shivering thinking ready your thread!
                  I've always wanted to visit Alaska but I think I'll wait a few days, months, maybe even years before I make that trip!
                  So sorry for the loss of you beloved sled dog, Dino. It is never an easy thing to put one of our pets asleep, even when we know it is the best for them.
                  So glad you and hubby make it home safe and sound, even if you did end up in a ditch. It was at least right in your front yard.
                  Stay inside, stay warm and cozy up to that fire.
                  "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                  Diane

Comment

I figure we have had our bad luck gotten out of the way and the rest of the year should be better! lol I can dream, right!
                    Thanks for all the nice responses.
                    Smart, your comment brought a smile to my heart. What a wonderful way to turn around a sad moment.
                    Alabama, thanks for the offer to move down, but I grew up in Houston, Tx and you could not pay me enough to go back to that heat and humidty.
                    For those wanting to come visit Alaska or move (4Sibes), all are welcome! I think everyone would love it up here. Even the dogs. The winds come through certain areas every fall/winter, but it can be years between such huge gusts like that. Usually when that happens, it is also a warm wind and melts the snow. This time it was a cold wind and brrrrr, it was not fun.
                    I would highly recommend though, for a first visit, come in the summer. June is a great month. I would love to show anyone that comes up a great visit!
                    Now, back to the warm fire.

Comment

Im starting my savings fund for a visit to your place right now.

Comment

Originally posted by furrondie View Post
                        For those wanting to come visit Alaska or move (4Sibes), all are welcome! I think everyone would love it up here. Even the dogs.
                        Oh no they wouldn't! LOL. I moved to southern Illinois to get away from winter in Michigan, which is bad enough.

And my dogs? Dachshunds are allergic to cold and snow. At least mine have always seemed to be. My smooths used to sleep under the wood burning stove, and my longhairs can't seem to walk if it's really cold outside. Their little feet freeze. Seriously.

Comment

I know right now my little Min Pin (Pixie) wouldn't even come out from under her blanket!!! She sleeps under her blanket even in the summer. She just doesn't like the cold at all, Utah is cold enough for her!

Think I'll start saving up my money and when hubby and I retire maybe we'll head your way in our RV! We still have a couple of years before retirement for the both of us.
                          "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                          Diane

Comment

Working...
                          X