Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A very fond farewell to everyone here - and a million thanks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A very fond farewell to everyone here - and a million thanks!

My doctor dropped a bomb on me today. He very bluntly told me that I am steadily working my way into permanent disability if I did not scale back on my scheduling and limit the size of the dogs I groomed. He strongly suggested (but stopped short of "ordering me") that I no longer groom dogs that weigh more than 35 lbs. & do no more than 6 dogs per day, max.

Over 60% of my current client base is dogs that weigh at LEAST 60 lbs with a few exceeding 150 lbs. I simply cannot accomodate such job restrictions without losing nearly 2/3 of my customers - and neither can my boss.

Long story short - I've been fired. My budding career as a dog groomer has ground to a halt for the time being. I will be taking several weeks off in an attempt to regain some of my physical strength & allow my poor back and hips to heal. I won't simply disappear from here, but I will be posting much less frequently - after all, Im no longer a groomer now, am I? (sob). I will, however, be lurking and may pop in now and again, just to shake sh*t up.

DH is taking me out to dinner now (gonna go cry in a pizza) and I simply cannot bear to put more detail in this post atm. Im still in a state of shock and VERY depressed. I dont need to see it in writing. Best of luck to all of you here at pg.com. Take care of yourselves and PM me if you want my new phone # (the old phone belonged to APM, so I can no longer be reached at that number) - Bernie, Liz, and Mary - this means you.

With a heavy heart and an aching back,
    Lori
    aka Puppyfluffer
    Last edited by PuppyFluffer; 01-12-10, 07:13 AM. Reason: Forgot somethin
    Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
    George Sand (1804 - 1876)

So sorry to hear your news. Could you maybe work from home? It's been great for me. I don't take anything over about 30lbs. Don't just up and leave us. Hope you enjoy your pizza. When God closes a door, he opens a window. Best of luck to you.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Oh Puppy I hate to hear that. You take care of yourself and just because you have to stop grooming doesn't mean you can't visit in here. Maybe you can find a place that will work with your limits once you gain some strength back. The important thing right now is to get healthy.
      "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt,
      and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck
      www.wagmoresalon.com

Comment

My heart goes out to you. Just remember your health is more important.

I keep wondering how much longer I will be able to groom the big ones. They really are a sizable part of my business too.

Comment

That sounds awful

I'm so sorry. Do keep options open though. Many groom small dogs only. Perhaps housecall with a weight limit. Most of them are little pooches and you groom slow and easy.

As bad as grooming is for backs, you ought to try sitting at a desk for 8 hours or more. My back hurt then but with care (right posture etc) it does not most of the time for me grooming.

After you get over the shock come back in here and let us know how you are doing whatever happens. We sure would miss you.
          Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Puppy, you aren't getting off that easy! Take care off your health,and as karla said just do a few from home when your hips and back are a bit better. Glad your dh is there for you, so are we, keep us posted. You have had some very good posts, WE need you.
            ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

Lori,

Well, once you are a groomer you are ALWAYS a groomer. It's a personality, not just a job.

TONS of groomers do just the small guys. Take a break and then come back and look at your situation with fresh eyes. You will make it work. You are one of the most positive people I know on here!

Don't disappear. We can't afford to lose any funny posters, you know!

Comment

I am so sorry to see that. I have a strong feeling that is not going to stop you though. I have seen you post to people ways to take lemons and make lemonaide.

Maybe this is your push to go out on your own? It is not unheard of at all for a salon or mobile to only do small dogs or only 6 a day! You are too much of a positive force for this industry for you to back out completley. I truly do understand where you are comming from. My doc has told me the same thing.

I must say I am dissapointed in your boss, not to mention the fact that some of your injury was due to work, I dont think id fire you if I was him!

When one door closes another one opens. Sometimes it feels like a revolving door, but you will figure something out im sure.

Comment

So sorry

to hear that! I always look forward to your posts and replies. You have helped me numerous times, whether through a good laugh, or a straightforward point of view. If you want to groom, you'll groom. Just take a step back, enjoy your husband and your pizza, and know that things will come together...one way or the other. Everyone here is behind you, even if you can't groom for a little while, come here and lean!

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear this. Sounds like everyone else is giving good advice as to how to keep on grooming without hurting yourself more so I just want to add that even if you decide to give up grooming we still want you to be part of our board because on here you're not just a groomer but a friend and we want you to stay with us. We would really miss you.
                    ~*~Robin~*~
                    "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Comment

Once a groomer always a groomer at heart,

Comment

I never liked that old phone number anyway. Nothing about it made any sense.
                        I would have told you sooner, but didn't want to hurt your feelings.

And indeed....when life closes a door, it will open a window.
                        Then all the pets get out.
                        Then while you are running all over catching them...a light bulb goes off.
                        You think, WOW...I'm good at this "pet catcher" thing.
                        So you get a job as the dog catcher.
                        Then on your first day, during your first morning, in your first hour, another light bulb goes off (an energy saver, at that) and you realize you really, really don't want to be running up and down the freeway catching pets, and you feel like you look silly with that noosy-pole thing in your hands. (Which, you will, btw)
                        So you decide then and there...you are going to go home, catch your breath and find some way in hale....to carefully and gently groom lil doggies that won't hurt your back, whose owners live in big mansions, and use words like cavier, dah-ling, and be-a-doll. The End and Happily Ever After.
                        Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Puppyfluffer

I will say this here and a private message later. We love you and you will always be a groomer in your heart. Most important that you have a loving husband to comfort you. This is not the end of your life, just a different path. Maybe petsitting with some brushing? Many avenues in the poet world. You just take care of yourself. I know we are all here for you, so come visit please and private messages are here form you. You will get so many it will overwhelm you, I'm sure. Later, friend

Comment

I do not groom dogs over 35 lbs, I taylored my business to only small dogs, gosh...most of the dogs I groom are fewer than 15 lbs...get a van and crush your ex-bossman

Comment

Originally posted by SharPeiMom View Post
                              I'm so sorry to hear this. Sounds like everyone else is giving good advice as to how to keep on grooming without hurting yourself more so I just want to add that even if you decide to give up grooming we still want you to be part of our board because on here you're not just a groomer but a friend and we want you to stay with us. We would really miss you.
                              Darn it. That's EXACTLY what I was going to say. (No it's not Robin!)...but well said, and her words speak for me as well. Only better.
                              Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Working...
                              X