Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opps....I broke the volunteer vet tech....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opps....I broke the volunteer vet tech....

So I took a litter of pups into the vet this morning to get their tails docked and dew claws done...um slight issue. The vet calls me back and asks me what length I want, I tell her and she says ok go back to the waiting room and I'll call you when they are ready. I go back and next thing I know the Fire dept/ rescue squad shows up. A few minutes pass and the doctor comes out to the packed waiting room and asks me if I can come help her hold pups so she can finish the tails, I've known this vet for years and did vet tech work myself for a while so she knows I could handle helping her. On the way back I ask her if everything is ok as we're passing a guy laying on a stretcher in the hallway...apparently he was on a student volunteer career day from school and he was following and watching procedures for the day and when she cut the first tail he turned white, hit the floor and hit his head and had a mild seizure...opps, poor guy. I jokingly asked if I was getting a discount on the docking since I had to help and she laughed and told me it was double because she was going to have to hit the liquor store after the stress of her morning that my pups caused!! LOL She said she figured his days of wanting to be a vet were over!

I recommend every one volunteer at a busy vet clinic before they choose that career path. Great story!

Comment

Look ay all the time and money you saved him! He'll never live it down. roflmao
      ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

oh my! poor kid..

Comment

LMAO! I've seen a couple new hires/job shadowers pass out during surgery at our clinic, as well as a student nurse at the hospital who was watching my baby boy getting circumsized. But how embarrassing for them...

Comment

OOOPSIE!! Poor lil fella.

Comment

OMgosh,,great story! Love it! Thanks for the big laugh! Sounds like you've got a great Vet with a great sense of humor, too!
              Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
              www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

When I was working as a vet tech. we had a high-school girl doing job shadowing one day. She was standing next to me (on my left-hand side) as we were watching the vet spay a dog. Next thing I knew, I see out of the corner of my eye, she is drifting away from me. She just fell right over on her left hand side, no hands to catch her or nothing. Luckily though she wasn't hurt, just really embarrassed.
                Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Comment

Very funny, I would have kept the tails and mailed them to the student....lol

Comment

Poor kid. Hope this doesn't get around school...or he'll never be able to live it down. LOL
                    "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                    Diane

Comment

Poor kid. I remember my first surgery as a vet assistant. I was almost on the verge of passing out, but I didn't. It was a spay on a collie, and the doc noticed my white face. I left the room briefly. After that, it was fine. Guess you have to have that first initiation.
                      Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Awww, poor guy!

That's unfortunate for him. First, his head probably hurts, plus they'll have to watch for brain swelling, so in reality it is not simply funny or cute. (Sorry to be a party pooper, but Liam Neeson's wife died from what looked like a mild fall onto snow, remember.)

Second, if he also had a seizure after falling, he won't be allowed to drive for a while until they rule out the possibility of other seizures. At least, that's what happened when my brother had a similar incident years ago.

So it's kind of like those videos where someone or some animal looks like they get hurt - I guess I just empathize too much. I can't laugh about it until it's all over and this kid is truly OK; THEN I could joke, maybe.

Comment

Poor guy,, hope he hangs in there. I have a story my parents tell about once a year on my poor dad. Seems when I was 3, I fell and busted my chin. They took me to the ER and my dad made my mom wait in the waiting area cause she was so upset. My dad went with me to have my chin stiched up. Mom says, next thing you know, everyone is running in to the area where I was. When the Doc cut off the little bit of skin that was hanging loose,, my dad fainted and fell on the doctor,,,lol. I have no memory of what happened, but it has become a favorite family story!

Comment

Poor guy! We actually have a client with a BIG red note on their file warning everyone to take the dog out of the room for vaccines, any kind of procedure, or even nail trimming! Apparently whenever the silly little maltese squeaks the mom faints!

Comment

When I was in 8th grade, I wanted to be a vet. We had a Career Day, and I shadowed the local vet for a day. He was a small and large animal vet, and I remember seeing him stick his arm into a cow for something. I got to help with a neuter. What did it for me was seeing him declaw a cat. I've heard they do it differently now, but at that time, the whole top part of the toe came off. Even though the cat was knocked out, it still jerked violently. I knew right then, I could never be a vet.

Comment

Working...
                              X