Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chocolate!?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Chocolate!?

    I was walking my dog this morning and I came across this older lady and her very sweet old dog (some setter). She started talking to me about her dog and how it was really old and coming up on its 19th bday. She also started to tell me how her dog got hot spots all the time. I proceeded to tell her it could be the diet that will help with hot spots, to that she replies, "no she is on a perfect diet! I give her chocolate with her food every day!" I sit in aw. She eventually says she has to go, and I am still stunned at waht she said. Is this sane!!???

  • #2
    Well, it may not fit with modern ideas of dog care and feeding, but she got the dog to 19, didn't she?

    Can't argue with success.

    If I got that old in human years and all I had wrong with me was a few hot spots, I'd consider myself fortunate indeed.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thats just about as crazy as the people who live to 100 plus. When you ask their secret it always includes smoking a pipe and drinking whiskey every day! Some things just can't be explained.

      Comment


      • #4
        Some people smoke like chimneys, never sleep, eat poorly, drink like fish and they live to be 100. Maybe it's genetics! lol
        www.gomobileandsucceed.com
        http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

        Comment


        • #5
          the dark bakers chocolate is what is real toxic to dogs...maybe she just gave the dog a bit of milk chocolate each day? weird.

          Comment


          • #6
            Did you consider that this sweet lil old lady might have a sense of humor and was messing w/you?

            This just reminded me of something my grandmother might have said to someone to mess w/them especially if she felt like they were being condesending (not saying you were doing that!). It was funny to hear her in action once you knew what she was doing. She loved to argue a point she KNEW wasn't true and really loved it when she won......lol


            On the other hand, if she was serious, the dog is 19 (as has already been pointed out) so something she is doing is working....lol If the hot spots are a recent thing it might be from her house heater making the skin overly dry.
            SheilaB from SC

            Comment


            • #7
              My dogs eat whatever my 2 yougest kids eat unfortunatly. This includes candy (M&M's are a favorite), those little fruity snacks, chips, cheez its...... They are 2 of the healthiest dogs I have ever owned although my Chi is a little heavy. They do get good dog food though, and less of that to make up for the snacks. I know it is not ideal, but I don't stress over it.
              If you sweat the small stuff, all you have is small soggy stuff.....

              Comment


              • #8
                Someone once told me they fed their 5 lb Poodle a MARS choc bar everyday. I suppose the antioxidants could be good for the dog, however the ****** milk chocolate is pretty lacking in antioxidants, and the good quality stuff that actually contains beneficial antioxidants would be pretty toxic.

                My grandparents dog lived to a ripe old age sucking on their cigarette butts and drinking coffee everyday. Weird stuff.

                Comment


                • #9
                  You know until I became a groomer I didn't know chocolate was bad for dogs I have had dogs all of my life and I treated them many times with candy bars, cookies ect. My dogs now still get chocolate once in a while just a weee nip .But they have on may occasions dipped into my bath of devils food cupcakes(made for the kids school parties) cookie dough (when hubby turns his back) with all the **** my dogs have consumed they should be all rights have died long time ago from all the toxic foods they have eaten .. I am not talking about stealing a bite here and there ,I am talking about devouring 40 fudge covered devils food cupcakes in one sitting- a whole roll of choc chip cookie dough, eating coffee grounds(stolen from the garbage can lexi does this) . the list goes on and on. I think it all depends on the dog on the extent of how so called toxic foods effect them.I'm not arguing the fact these foods may be toxic to them ,I'm simply stating my dogs are garbage disposals with iron guts and thieves lol

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    My 16 year old beagle regularly got into milk chocolate when she was younger. We wouldn't be careful with things like easter and christmas candy, and she was a total scavenger. I can remember her eating an entire bag of semisweet chocolate chips and not even getting sick, lol.
                    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      my rottie makes sure to sniff out and devour EVERY pan of brownies i have ever made. this includes learning to open the oven door ( i thought they would be safe there lol) So far no harm except for some gas occasionally

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Makere View Post
                        my rottie makes sure to sniff out and devour EVERY pan of brownies i have ever made. this includes learning to open the oven door ( i thought they would be safe there lol) So far no harm except for some gas occasionally
                        Ovens seem to be a dogs best friend, my late st poo opened it and devoured my bbq chicken! Thought it;ll be safe yea right. The things some client dogs eat amazes me,boxes of choclate,grapes by the pound, and nothing, if I gave one of mine a nibble it croak just to spite me! lol
                        ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/nutr...latetoxici.htm
                          Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
                          George Sand (1804 - 1876)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            My Pom ate at least 25 Hersheys Kisses when he was about 6 months old (we had just adopted him). I had always had a covered candy dish on my end table and my terriers had never bothered it, but the Pom pushed the lid off and helped himself to several kisses. Funny thing was my friend, our vet came by the house on a social visit and asked me "Is your Pom always so hyper?" as he was literally BOUNCING! Later that night, I found the foil wrappers-(yeah, he apparently unwrapped them before eating them) and called her. She said he would probably have diarreah and to watch him, but probably be OK. He was fine, no upset tummy at all. My Mom & Dad used to keep my Westie when she was a pup and we went away overnight. I came home one night to pick her up and he told me "Your little dog sure does love hotdogs & onions!" I almost had a coronary when he told me he had fed her onions! But she was fine.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Perhaps it is white chocolate, which technically isn't chocolate. Dogs can have white chocolate safely.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X