Im so frustrated!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im so frustrated!!!!

So I have been working for the last three months on opening my own spa and boutique in an upscale shopping center.
    First I wrote up my business plan with the Grooming Business in a Box (was wonderfull! Im so GLAD I bought it!)
    Got my business loan, filled out all the paper work to be approved for a rental space in the shopping center.
    Got approved (yeah!! I was a little worried cause its very upscale and my credit has a few burps in it.)
    Got my contractors and everything lined up. He said we can have you in your new store by the middle of April. ( I was shooting for a grand opening for the end of April just to be on the "safe" side)
    Went to the Atlanta Pet Fair and bought tubs, dryers, cages, pretty much outfitted my whole shop there because we are only an hour away and got some killer deals!
    Yesterday the leasing agent calls and asks if I can meet him at the shopping center to "discuss" something. Nothing major he says, Im thinking its about my sign approval or something.
    So tody I get there for the meeting and he wants to move my shop down to the other end of the shopping center because a resturant wants three shop fronts and the only place where they have two or more shops that havent been rented are the two next to me and mine makes up the total square footage they need.
    He is willing to pay have everything that has been done so far (concrete surfacing and staining, wiring, plumbing and studing out the partition walls)
    redone in the "new" space he wants me to take and offered two months free rent extra.
    The only problem is there is no way I'll make my grand opening date of April 27th. But I cant really refuse, I mean I guess I could but I hate to get on my leasing agents bad side....

Im just so frustrated!!!

Tammy

end of the shoppiong center

Actually, being on the end, is a boost, I'd rather be on the end...better for only having 1 neighbor to complain when you get a "barker" in the shop. BTDT. I'd shoot for the best deal you can, maybe even 3 months free rent, because you still have to pay rent even if you are not ready to open and don't forget...the Building people have to still come in and do your occupancy permit...they can hold up your opening, your contractor has no control over that. But the mall will want their bucks even if you are tied up in waiting for your occupancy permit.

I had a friend with that problem...she had to wait almost 2 months to get it, contractor had to make minor changes, had the inspectors out 3 times...what a pain.

Comment

I agree with Azoci-get every bit of 'free' that you can. Shopping center rents are sooo expensive. Also, if you've had any printing done with your address, don't forget to have them cover that change as well. I would wait on your grand opening until after you are in the space, and up and running. You never get a second chance to make a first impression, as the saying goes. A few months from now, you'll be in your brand new 'spa', and all this hassel will be just a memory! Best of luck!!!!!
      Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Sounds like the agent REALLY wants to rent to the rest. and is willing to do whatever it takes to get them in there.
        I agree that an end location would be a great deal, especially when the doggies need a "potty" break. Maybe you could get him to spring for an area for dog walking too. He should also agree to give you free rent until the changes are made (due to the delays) and pay for ALL expenses associated with the changes, but don't forget to get it all in WRITING and signed before agreeing to anything.

Comment

There are some mighty smart people on this board with lots of advice. I agree with everything that has been said. Lots of good advice for you.
          "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
          Diane

Comment

Use this to your advantage, get more than 2 free months, try for 6 months, he needs you to move b/c the rest is probably paying more per sq ft! The bal is in oyur court, take advantage!

you do have a signed lease, right??

Comment

I think it's great

You can advertise yet again this time for a delay of Grand Opening. You could even put that you've been offered the end store and believe that would be more convenient for your customers. (less passing by stores, likely better parking ease). Two months free sounds really helpful for a new business. And I wouldn't bargain, agreeing with you that you want to be on the best side of the landlord. I'd be sweet and understanding of his predictament and while informing of they difficulty act the "good Sport". IMO in the scheme of things as the years go by and your business is highly successful in the wanted upscale area, this will be a minor glitch.
              Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Business is Business

Turn lemons into lemonade.

His offer was generous but not generous enough. Do you really know what you are loosing by not opening on your scheduled day?

2 months free rent? How about 6 months or a year? How about some up front money. How about this settlement guaranteed in writing. How about extending your lease at the same price for another 5 year option.

You need to get all that you can for your trouble and his accomodation. Do not sell yourself short. Be a businessperson.

You are accomodating him and the resturant. 2 months and what you have already paid for is cheap. Do not sell yourself short. You will have losses because he wants to make more money.

Take your time and figure out exactly what this will do for you and what he can do to sweeten the pot for your accomodation. You are trading a more advantageous spot, that is worth somthing times the term of your lease.

Otherwise if you have a lease stand your ground. What is two months rent, "Chickenfeed" compared to what he will earn on the three store resturant. That is why you have a lease so he can not manipulate you or retaliate against you. Use this oportunity to get a better deal it will not come around again. Don't get frustrated get compensated.

Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
                  Turn lemons into lemonade.

His offer was generous but not generous enough. Do you really know what you are loosing by not opening on your scheduled day?

2 months free rent? How about 6 months or a year? How about some up front money. How about this settlement guaranteed in writing. How about extending your lease at the same price for another 5 year option.

You need to get all that you can for your trouble and his accomodation. Do not sell yourself short. Be a businessperson.

You are accomodating him and the resturant. 2 months and what you have already paid for is cheap. Do not sell yourself short. You will have losses because he wants to make more money.

Take your time and figure out exactly what this will do for you and what he can do to sweeten the pot for your accomodation. You are trading a more advantageous spot, that is worth somthing times the term of your lease.

Otherwise if you have a lease stand your ground. What is two months rent, "Chickenfeed" compared to what he will earn on the three store resturant. That is why you have a lease so he can not manipulate you or retaliate against you. Use this oportunity to get a better deal it will not come around again. Don't get frustrated get compensated.

Chuck
                  Chuck makes some REALLY great points here. I'd also like to add, if your too easy, your landlord will lose respect for you as a business person and will always try to take advantage. You have to realize that if he is "willing" to offer you two free months rent AND paying your expenses so far, he would be willing to do much more to accommodate this business deal. Real estate people are wheeler's/dealers and are always trying to get more for themselves, but they are willing to negotiate and when a person accepts offers without a counter offer, they feel they won. They never offer what they are willing to accept right off the bat. There's always wiggle room left, so make your counter offer and see what he says. All he can say is no and I'm sure he will respect you alot more and not look at it as "making trouble", but as a smart business move on your part.

Comment

I agree with Chuck.

The lease is there to protect both parties if he is breaking the contract you have the upper hand.

Take him to task and I would shoot for the 6 months. 1 Year may be pushing it a little but 6 months is I think a reasonable request.

Jason

Comment

6 months and he pays the advertising for the "grand opening" changes. Don't worry about "being on the good side" of the landlord, be on the good side of your business.!!!!!!!!

Comment

I agree with everyone else. You can turn this situation around in your favor. A lot of GREAT suggestions have been made, I would follow the advise that has been given.

Comment

Petstylist...Don't you feel a whole lot better after reading all of this. One thing I might add....try not to get emotional when you sit down to discuss everything with the landlord because we all know you're upset about this. You can use this to your advantage financially which could be a big help when starting out and you have so many expenses with a new business. Go into the meeting with a written list so you're totally prepared and maybe you shouldn't make any decisions on the spot. You can tell the landlord you'll think about it. Keep us posted. We all want you to get the best deal you possibly can. Take a deep breath. This is all part of having a business. It's not easy but you can do it.
                          www.gomobileandsucceed.com
                          http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

I think you need to go into this understanding how far the move is going to push your grand opening back. You can go into this with the plan of negotiating 6 months free rent, but you need to understand how long it is going to take to get the new space constructed to the point where you can operate your business. If that is going to take 3 months, don't let him talk you back down to 2 months free rent. In that case you will be paying rent on space you can't even use. And that doesn't even include the lost income while the space is being constructed. Just make sure you think about the bigger picture and don't sell yourself short.

Comment

Thanks Guys!!
                              Im going to print out ya'lls replys and make myself some "crib" notes to take with me on monday!

Thanks again for all the great ideas and info!
                              Tammy

Comment

Working...
                              X