• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SharPeiMom
    Standard Member & Club 1,000
    • Jun 2007

Ever thought about stealing a dog??

Well I've been seriously considering it. I have a client that is a OAY. She has a small Schnoodle. It lives outside on a 5 foot chain with a small igloo. You can only imagine the condition of this dog. Last summer I groomed him he was so pelted that when he urinated it just sopped up in his mats because his penis was completely engulfed in mats that was glued to the inside of his leg. Now you know that had to be painful. She always tells me the same story about him not wanting to come in the house and how he just loves to lay in the snow. Last summer I had a very serious talk with her about how serious his matting is for his skin and his health and she assured me she'd call in 6 weeks.She didn't. She thinks keeping him matted helps keep him warm in the winter. One of her neighbors offered to buy the dog from her but she declined. Anyway it has been so cold here lately and I just heard a story on the news about a Mama dog and all her puppies freezing to death and that made me start thinking about this poor dog. I guess I could call animal control but they take them and put them down after 3 days I think. It sounds awful but at least he wouldn't be suffering. He's a very sweet dog. I told my husband last night that if I thought I could get away with it I'd steal that dog. Now I am not usually criminal minded and I know y'all are going to think it's a bad idea but what can you really do in a situation like this? I just can't get him off my mind.
    ~*~Robin~*~
    "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
  • odette
    • Aug 2008

Do you not have a humane, or spca? If not call the pound, then adopt the dog then find him a home, just don't get caught breaking the law.
    ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

• Paw-fectionist
      Toy Member
      • Nov 2008

I'd call animal control and then go adopt him from there.

Comment

• fiveoclockdog
        • Jul 2008

Go for it! I won't tell.
        "The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind"-Theodorus Gaza

Comment

• Boxerfan
          • Jan 2007

Yes, I think about it every day when I pass by a certain house with a beautiful boxer tied outside on a heavy logging chain. I see it laying in the dirt huddled up with a cat when it's cold.

Comment

• puppy love
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Paw-fectionist View Post
            I'd call animal control and then go adopt him from there.
            That is the plan that I would go with too.

Even if you cant keep him permanently, you can rescue him from that chain and deplorable living situation and foster him until you can find him a loving forever home. Chances are he will end up staying with you...

Comment

• Kindredkiss
              Toy Member
              • Jan 2007

Call animal control and tell them you will take him, if he doesnt get adopted, to place out.

Comment

• MydogMissy
                Miniature Member
                • Jun 2008

A Schnoodle [i]outdoors[/i] with no undercoat? NO WAY! Call your humane society!
                A Light exists in Spring, Not present on the Year, At any other period -- When March is scarcely here...~~ Emily Dickensen~~

Comment

• SharPeiMom
                  • Jun 2007

Originally posted by MydogMissy View Post
                  A Schnoodle [i]outdoors[/i] with no undercoat? NO WAY! Call your humane society!
                  Yep that's right and I was just sitting here thinking about how wet his pelts were the lasttime I groomed him and was wondering if that pee would just freeze to him. I think I'm going to ride by tonight and see if he's still out there and if he is I'm going to call somebody.I live in a poor county with no humane society. Pretty much just an animal catcher and they hold them for a few days before euthenization. I'll have to check into it. That's why I just thought about becoming a schoodle burglar. I doubt that I'd steal him but there has to be somebody to call. OOH! I just had an amazing thought. There is a small rescue group in my area that takes all breeds. The lady saw me one day and asked if I'd do some grooming for them. It's been along time ago but I think I still have her card. Wonder if the lady would voluntarily give the dog up. OK I have something to go on now. Thanks for helping get my brain in gear.
                  ~*~Robin~*~
                  "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Comment

• Debbiedogs
                    Grand Champion & Club 5,000
                    • Sep 2007

Humane society takes him, you adopt him

I agree with some of the others.

Actually, I was just about to steal a dog many, many years ago when the owners called to relinquish him to our rescue. Dog got a fantastic home, and the new owner even adopted another dog of the same breed. Lucky, lucky dog after 2 years of misery.

If the humane society doesn't get this Schnoodle out of there (and keep bugging them because at first they may do a warning and then not check up), and if the dog doesn't die this winter, then the next time he comes for a grooming, take photos and then tell the woman he got off the leash somehow when you took him out for a break. I have often threatened to do that, even said it to the vet I used to work with when he helped hold a disgusting, neglected, beautiful, bewildered Sheltie that used to be a house pet and was turned into a yard dog. Makes me vomit - and cry.

Comment

• lexapurple
                      Miniature Member
                      • Feb 2009

My coworker has done it to her neighbors dog. The other lady I worked with just refused to give teh dog back to the owner and scared her to death telling her that she will call AC. on her.

Comment

• Particentral
                        Best in Show Member & Club 10,000
                        • Sep 2007

thought about it and did it once. Her name is Lola, she is a shihtzu and we adore her. She is now 13 years old I think...might be 14. She was 9 months old, couldn't bark or wag her tail, didn't know her name (Oreo), and had been living on a porch for her entire life. Took a 30 and 40 blade to shave her down....they didn't get her back.

I have a "rescued" (read STOLEN) maltese that I am trying to rehab and may end up keeping....she lived in a an egg crate box on a front porch for two yeras before the breeder went and took her with the help of the neighbors....I still can hardly touch this dog, but she loves my hubby. Sad really. She weighs 4.2 pounds and when I got her she had been scissored down to a ten length and cut in several places.....
                        <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

• MydogMissy
                          Miniature Member
                          • Jun 2008

Originally posted by SharPeiMom View Post
                          That's why I just thought about becoming a schoodle burglar. I doubt that I'd steal him but there has to be somebody to call
                          You won't solve anything by breaking the law. I would at least call the police and ask them to give you direction. If that fails, I'd go to the house and politely ask them to take the dog inside in this weather or you will have to call the humane society or animal control even if there isn't one. They will probably need a "little help" to motivate them to do the right thing.
                          A Light exists in Spring, Not present on the Year, At any other period -- When March is scarcely here...~~ Emily Dickensen~~

Comment

• Kifaru
                            Miniature Member
                            • Jan 2007

Poor little thing. Call animal control. Even if you're not able to take him, it would be kinder to have him euthanized in the arms of a person who will pat his head and say "I'm sorry" than to let him freeze to death.

[i] "A Schnoodle outdoors with no undercoat?" [/i]

Not that I condone this person's actions in anyway, and if it's filthy and matted it wouldn't matter what kind of coat it has, but why do you assume it has no undercoat?

Comment

• Pixie
                              Grand Champion & Club 5,000
                              • Jan 2007

Nope, but yes to a horse!

I was probably about 6 yrs old. Right next door to my elementary school was a stable with beautiful horses. All day I would just look at those beautiful creatures and wished one of them belonged to me.
                              So I put my mind to work on how I could get one. After all they had a lot of them, didn't think they would miss one.
                              I figured out a plan of how to get it and where it would live.
                              I found a piece of rope that I could tie around the horses neck.
                              I figured I could put him in my closet during the day and take him out when I got home from school and when my parents weren't around.
                              Dad worked long hours, seemed like he was gone all the time and Mom was just Mom. She would go visit her friends, do grocery shopping just do what ever Moms did back in the 50's (remember I was just a little kid)
                              Well the prefect morning came. I woke up bright and early, think it must have been a Sat. I got dressed, got my rope and headed out the front door.
                              Walked down the sidewalk to the school. Just before I got to the school something made me turn around.......there was Dad coming after me. Guess I hadn't gotten up as early as I thought I had.
                              I don't remember what Dad said or did. I think I just had to go back home and go back to bed for a very long time. I missed the Saturday morning cartoons, I do remember that. I was in trouble but I don't remember being spanked or even yelled at.
                              I never tried stealing a horse again.
                              "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                              Diane

Comment

Working...
                              X