Getting a dog out of selfishness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a dog out of selfishness

I just want to start by saying I love my sister in law - I see her as a best friend but I love my brother even more - he is family!
    About a month ago my sister in law (I will refer to her a SIL) wanted to adopt a golden retrever. It was very small found in a dump only about a year old. But the GR adoption/rescue place found her house inadequate not having a fully fenced yard and now being winter she could not fix that so she was declined that dog.

I was glad she was adopting a dog but concerned for my brother. He has severe asthma and allergies - he is constantly puffing on his inhalers. I also have asthma and allergies and I know that GR's are high oder dogs that set my asthma off - I know I could not live with one.

NOW she has gone to a local breeder and bought a puppy. I talked to her and she is convinced that if she grooms the pup daily and keeps the house clean then he will be fine. I told her that a non-shedding dog would have been much better for my brothers health. I told her not to attach her self too much because if my brothers health deteriorates she will have to make a choice.

And no my brother does not have a say - he is the "yes dear yes dear - what ever you say dear" type. I wish I could change her mind but she is stubborn and has her mind set. I also live to far away to harass or steal the puppy from her
    I'm really just a little dog in a big dog's body (I really should cut down on those milk bones).

Be positive. Maybe it will work out. Since you're a groomer, hopefully she'll take your good advice and do as she says she will (brush the dog and keep the house clean.) My daughter got a cat and a dog although she's very allergic and she's done very well. Keep your fingers crossed.
    www.gomobileandsucceed.com
    http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Candee, can you get Allerpet D over there? It might help. And they ought to get an air filter, too. That will make the biggest difference.

Comment

Yeah, Allerpet D

Plus weekly baths. I actually have clients with asthma/allergies who own a Standard Poodle, and they noticed a big difference when they started to have us bath the dog weekly. If it's every 2 weeks, they get more aggravated.

I also used to have clients with asthma/allergies with a Lab, and they simply bathed him weekly. It's work, but if it's a great dog, it's worth it, I guess.

Comment

If he isn't allergic to dogs it might work out. I've always been allergic to cats with severe allergies and asthma but around dogs I am okay. I can't last 4 hours in a house with cats but I own 4 dogs. If he does have problems than that's just wrong of her!! That puppy is going to live a long time and that's a lot of suffering on his part.

Comment

Maybe she is looking for a way to end her marriage.
            "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
            Diane

Comment

Help, maybe?

Ok, keep in mind this is a very new method-

I have a friend who is an RN and she does laser technology on the side because it's easy money and you have to be an RN to operate the machine. Working in her clinic, she was exposed to a new way to treat allergies. I don't know much about it (didn't ask) but apparently there is a special laser they can use to take away allergies-for good! She's allergic to a lot of things herself (including dogs) and she has a lab and golden now. No problems after the treatment, and it only takes one time. I can find out more info for you if you're interested. Just wanted to let you know there are options.
              There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Comment

Hopefully it will work out. What kind of breeder did the pup come from? Do think he/she will take the dog back if it doesn't work out?

Comment

Brink, try to get us a link on that subject. What is allerpet-d?
                  "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                  People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

I have quite a few clients that are allergic to their pets and bring them in for grooming very frequently as well as often bathing them at home. It seems to work well enough for them since they are keeping the pets.. I also have a few allergy clients who have me keep their dogs/cats shaved short to help w/the issue.

I am thinking it depends on if a person is allergic to the hair or the dander whether or not removing the hair is effective. Don't you think that if you were allergic to dander it would make the allergy worse to keep the pet buzzed short? I just think that the hair provides a natural buffer to the dander from the skin.

Candee it might work just fine for your bro and the dog if your SiL does as she says and keeps the dog and house very clean and invests in a good air filter.

What is Allerpet D? Is it a medication, shampoo or air filter thingee?
                    SheilaB from SC

Comment

My brother and his wife are in Canada - so not sure if they get that anti histamine there. Not sure if he takes anything for that. All I know is that he puffs on his ventalin (medication) all day long especially when he goes to my parents house (they have a grooming salon in the basement).
                      My sister in law was a dog groomer so she knows how to groom and bath a dog so that hopefully will help. She CAN be clean when she thinks she will have company lol She at least gives the image that she is a clean person and she wants to be seen that way but I know other wise and I have told her it will have to be taken up a notch if she really does care about my brothers health.

I also have bad asthma and allergies and no I am not in the best career but I take antihistamines and my house IS cleaned daily and so my asthma is under control.

I pray this works out for the best!
                      I'm really just a little dog in a big dog's body (I really should cut down on those milk bones).

Comment

Originally posted by Smart-n-Pretty View Post
                        Brink, try to get us a link on that subject. What is allerpet-d?
                        Allerpet-D is a product made to remove the saliva and dander from dogs so they are don't cause as much of a reaction for people who are allergic to dogs. There is also an Allerpet-C for cat allergies.

http://www.healthypets.com/allerpetd12oz.html

Comment

Allerpet works!

I second the Allerpet suggestion. It's a great product that has helped many of my clients over the years. In addition to frequent bathing, it'll have a positive effect on reducing allergies.

Good luck and remember we can't change anyone else, we only have control over us. I know he's your brother and you have every right to be concerned about his well-being. But he chose to marry her so IMO it's their business. You tried to do her a favor by making recommendations for a better pet choice, but beyond that there's really nothing to be done.

~ Stacey

Comment

Originally posted by Candee View Post
                            My brother and his wife are in Canada - so not sure if they get that anti histamine there. Not sure if he takes anything for that. All I know is that he puffs on his ventalin (medication) all day long especially when he goes to my parents house (they have a grooming salon in the basement). ...I pray this works out for the best!

Candee, let your brother know about Volmax. It helped my son who was 5 and needed half a dozen updraft treatments per day, plus steroids.:http://www.drugs.com/mtm/volmax.html
                            "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous

Comment

For people who are allergic to dogs.

ALLERPET® D
                              V.P.L.
                              Allergy Relief Aid

Active Ingredient(s):
                              DI UV water, quaternium-26, hydrolyzed wheat protein, glycerin, quaternium-22, cocamidopropylbetaine, allantoin, d-panthenol, aloe vera gel, imidazolidinyl urea and collagen.

Indications:
                              ALLERPET® D is formulated to aid in the reduction of the major causes of allergies due to dogs.
                              ALLERPET® D cleanses the hair of dander and saliva, and is non-irritating.

Dosage and Administration:
                              Remove the cap and peel off the inner protective seal from the bottle. Before using ALLERPET® D, brush or comb the dog thoroughly to remove as much dead hair as possible. Moisten a washcloth with ALLERPET® D and `drywash' the dog by rubbing the fur both with and against the lay of the hair, making certain that the pet is dampened to the skin. Do not saturate the hair. Pay attention to areas of the body that the dog licks most often and to the genital area. Dry with a towel. Repeat the procedure once a week. For the best results, the first application should be performed by a non-allergic person.

Caution(s):
                              Antigens are considered to be the prime causes of allergic reactions to dogs.
                              How is this different from shampoo?

Comment

Working...
                              X